Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of getting a macbook air 13" and was wondering what people's thoughts are on it.
    Btw I'm doing a physics course at uni and will be carrying it around with me to lectures, library, etc. Also do you have any other recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    Dual boot it with Linux, or triple boot it with windows, OSX and linux, some of your modules may require programming tasks which may be easier in Linux, although OSX is very capable.

And some software may be only available for Windows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkongjaffa)
    Dual boot it with Linux, or triple boot it with windows, OSX and linux, some of your modules may require programming tasks which may be easier in Linux, although OSX is very capable.

And some software may be only available for Windows.
    How would you do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctor_2_be)
    How would you do that?
    Use Boot Camp or a virtual machine software like Parallels, both make the process pretty straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Use Boot Camp or a virtual machine software like Parallels, both make the process pretty straightforward.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctor_2_be)
    Thank you
    Make sure you get the student discount and apple care (free for 3 years I think). Also before you dual boot anything just wait until you need to use a software that doesn't run on OS X, even if you find one, use parallels instead of dual booting if you can because dual booting is a long process. I say avoid dual booting because you might dedicate certain amount of storage for windows for example, but then it turns out you don't use it that much and you might need that space on OS X. Although I'm not sure how easy that process is on mac, but definitely complicated on windows

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone suggest a chromebook

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 30, 2015
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.