Thoughts on my final university list? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I plan to study History at university and here are my choices:

Kings College
    Warwick
    East Anglia
    Queen Mary
    Royal Holloway

The only one I am not set on is 100% is QM, I live in Central London and so I am very very close to both Kings and QM. Additionally Holloway is just outside the city. I'm not the type of person who will have a nose bleed if I leave London so I don't mind leaving. I just want to see if these are good choices, I'm guessing my A2 grades will be A*AA? Something around that figure. Maybe AAA, AAB, ha you never know.

ReputationRep:
    With grades like that id be looking more at Durham, Bristol, UCL, Edinburgh heck even Oxbridge. Don't apply to QM, RHUL or East Anglia as you're totally wasting choices as you're much better than them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    With grades like that id be looking more at Durham, Bristol, UCL, Edinburgh heck even Oxbridge. Don't apply to QM, RHUL or East Anglia as you're totally wasting choices as you're much better than them
    Really? Hmm, I'm not sure if I should.

ReputationRep:
    I have taken your advice and have added Durham, removing RH. My biggest fear is that they will reject me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    I have taken your advice and have added Durham, removing RH. My biggest fear is that they will reject me!
    Well what did you get at AS? Id definitely get rid of QM and East Anglia universities, they're terrible and with predictions of A*AA you would be far better even applying to Manchester which I know let someone in with ABB this year for history.

ReputationRep:
    Well what did you get at AS? Id definitely get rid of QM and East Anglia universities, they're terrible and with predictions of A*AA you would be far better even applying to Manchester which I know let someone in with ABB this year for history.
    ABB, have been told already I am going to be predicted one plus for everything. So its A*AA (maybe even * for the other a teacher said). I'm just nervous, me in the big leagues? Aha! I can't believe its even possible

Thanks, I have removed QM. Is East Anglia really that bad????

ReputationRep:
    ABB, have been told already I am going to be predicted one plus for everything. So its A*AA (maybe even * for the other a teacher said). I'm just nervous, me in the big leagues? Aha! I can't believe its even possible

Thanks, I have removed QM. Is East Anglia really that bad????
    It's probably the worst on your list. And I've never heard of any graduate employer target East Anglia students. You'll be making career suicide by going there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Career suicide? Are you people for real?

You could get a 1st at Plymouth and wipe the floor with someone with a 2:1 from Royal Holloway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd keep Warwick though - especially if they want a corporate/finance-related job in the future, Warwick outdoes Durham, Bristol etc.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably the worst on your list. And I've never heard of any graduate employer target East Anglia students. You'll be making career suicide by going there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :console:

(Original post by LJStudent)

You could get a 1st at Plymouth and wipe the floor with someone with a 2:1 from Royal Holloway.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to be predicted A*A*A or A*AA why would you apply to ABB/AAB universities? Have 2 ambitious, 2 normal and 1 safe option. I'm at Surrey so obvs we have no respect as we don't have a med school (although the Vet school they built is far too big just for the vets..) and we don't offer history. However, I would apply for Oxbridge then three uni's just below (Durham, Bristol, St Andrews etc.) and a safe option (Kings or Warwick). Don't be so self-depreciating, I hate that about our British society. If you wiped the floor at AS level and teachers think you'll get A*A*A then apply to A*AA institutions - not ABB. Remember these top universities don't often do clearing and if they do, they don't have many places. Scared of rejection? Take it with a pinch of salt. What will you feel worse about? Getting rejected from Oxbridge or Durham or settling for a university that won't fulfill your academic potential?

ReputationRep:
    In reply to an earlier comment, East Anglia (UEA) is not a terrible university by any standards, it is actually rather good. Your predicted grades are very impressive and I would seriously consider applying to Oxbridge; if you get rejected who cares? Atleast you tried! However, I would say don't get too holed up in the 'which university is better than which' thing. Universities are fickle, even the most 'prestigious' universities let many people in this year who failed to meet their offer by up to 2 grades (probably because of the cap lifted on student numbers). Therefore, yes, look at Warwick, look at Manchester, but at the end of the day unless you're going to study at Oxbridge (or maybe Durham) there's not a lot that marks a difference between all the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leggett9)
    If you're going to be predicted A*A*A or A*AA why would you apply to ABB/AAB universities? Have 2 ambitious, 2 normal and 1 safe option. I'm at Surrey so obvs we have no respect as we don't have a med school (although the Vet school they built is far too big just for the vets..) and we don't offer history. However, I would apply for Oxbridge then three uni's just below (Durham, Bristol, St Andrews etc.) and a safe option (Kings or Warwick). Don't be so self-depreciating, I hate that about our British society. If you wiped the floor at AS level and teachers think you'll get A*A*A then apply to A*AA institutions - not ABB. Remember these top universities don't often do clearing and if they do, they don't have many places. Scared of rejection? Take it with a pinch of salt. What will you feel worse about? Getting rejected from Oxbridge or Durham or settling for a university that won't fulfill your academic potential?
    I'm still in a state of disbelief that I will do well aha, its natural for me to feel this way isn't it? I don't think I can fit the "BIG" leagues but I guess its worth a try now you guys are really encouraging me to go for it. Thanks guys, you've made me realise my potential is pretty good. Oxbridge I won't entertain, even THAT is a little too far for me

I never knew East Anglia was that bad though.

ReputationRep:
    You guys shouldn't have mentioned Oxbridge now

ReputationRep:
    My list doesn't seem balanced if I go for:

Durham
    Cambridge
    Warwick
    Kings
    Hertfordshire

Or is this OK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJStudent)

Prestige is priceless

ReputationRep:
    I might throw caution to the wind, and make a huge huge huge risk.

Kings College
    Durham
    Cambridge
    Warwick
    Herts

Is this a terrible idea?!

ReputationRep:
    My list doesn't seem balanced if I go for:

Durham
    Cambridge
    Warwick
    Kings
    Hertfordshire

Or is this OK?
    Why pick unis essentially all over the place?
    Durhams really competitive for history, so is Cambridge obviously. I'd take kings/herts out and have 2 safe back ups.

ReputationRep:
    I might throw caution to the wind, and make a huge huge huge risk.

Kings College
    Durham
    Cambridge
    Warwick
    Herts

Is this a terrible idea?!
    I'd go: 3 from high risk, 1 medium and 1 low risk (they're not necessarily 'risky' I just needed a way to categorise them into three sections)

High risk:
    Oxford / Durham
    Bristol
    Edinburgh / Warwick (although Warwick isn't as well known for the arts)
    KCL

Medium risk:
    Nottingham / Southampton / Leeds

Low risk:
    RHUL / Loughborough / Cardiff

Note: i didn't put Cambridge in there as they care a lot about UMS in AS and expect 90% + average

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd go: 3 from high risk, 1 medium and 1 low risk (they're not necessarily 'risky' I just needed a way to categorise them into three sections)

High risk:
    Oxford / Durham
    Bristol
    Edinburgh / Warwick (although Warwick isn't as well known for the arts)
    KCL

Medium risk:
    Nottingham / Southampton / Leeds

Low risk:
    RHUL / Loughborough / Cardiff

Note: i didn't put Cambridge in there as they care a lot about UMS in AS and expect 90% + average

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I'll remove Cambridge then, its probably "too" big a dream to chase. I'm going to settle with KCL, Warwick and Durham. Herts is my very safe choice, just need another one. Balance is hard.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.