Quick Chemistry Question Watch

Holly.Hodgson99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#1
So I am just doing my chemistry ISA, and I was wondering whether manganese oxide was dangerous? And if so , what effect does it have on the body? I am a awkward potato so cannot find the answer on the internet. Thank you )
0
reply
username1986099
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#2
Report 3 years ago
#2
V. HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION

Health Hazards:To the best of our knowledge the chemical, physical and toxicological properties of manganese oxide have not been thoroughly investigated and recorded.Some manganese compounds are experimental tumorigens. They can cause central nervous and pulmonary system damage by inhalation of fumes and dust. Very few poisonings have occurred from ingestion. Chronic manganese poisoning is a clearly characterized disease which results from inhalation of fumes or dusts of manganese. The central nervous system is the chief site of damage. Exposure to dusts and fumes can possibly increase the incidence of upper respiratory infections and pneumonia (Sax, Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials).

Acute Effects:Inhalation: May cause irritation of the respiratory tract and mucous membranes, increase the incidence of upper respiratory tract and pulmonary infections. May cause metal fume fever. May also cause emphysema and acute pulmonary edema.

Ingestion: Absorption of manganese compounds from the gastrointestinal tract is poor under normal conditions. May cause abdominal pain and nausea.

Skin: May cause irritation.

Eye: May cause irritation.

Chronic Effects:
Inhalation: May cause pulmonary pneumonitis, manganism (psychosis and neurological disorders effecting the central nervous system).Ingestion: May cause manganism.

Skin: May cause dermatitis.

Eye: May cause conjunctivitis.

Organs: May affect the central nervous system, respiratory system, liver, reproductive system.

FROM http://www.espimetals.com/index.php/...ese-oxide-mno2
0
reply
gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
#3
Report 3 years ago
#3
(Original post by Holly.Hodgson99)
So I am just doing my chemistry ISA, and I was wondering whether manganese oxide was dangerous? And if so , what effect does it have on the body? I am a awkward potato so cannot find the answer on the internet. Thank you )
Hey! Is your isa on catalyst and rates of reaction with manganese oxide and hydrogen peroxide? I did this ISA last year if it is.


Posted from TSR Mobile
0
reply
Holly.Hodgson99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
#4
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#4
(Original post by ScienceFantatic)
Hey! Is your isa on catalyst and rates of reaction with manganese oxide and hydrogen peroxide? I did this ISA last year if it is.


Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh, sadly it is - I would say chemistry is the worst subject I have ... 0.e
0
reply
Holly.Hodgson99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
#5
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#5
(Original post by danielwinstanley)
V. HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION

Health Hazards:To the best of our knowledge the chemical, physical and toxicological properties of manganese oxide have not been thoroughly investigated and recorded.Some manganese compounds are experimental tumorigens. They can cause central nervous and pulmonary system damage by inhalation of fumes and dust. Very few poisonings have occurred from ingestion. Chronic manganese poisoning is a clearly characterized disease which results from inhalation of fumes or dusts of manganese. The central nervous system is the chief site of damage. Exposure to dusts and fumes can possibly increase the incidence of upper respiratory infections and pneumonia (Sax, Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials).

Acute Effects:Inhalation: May cause irritation of the respiratory tract and mucous membranes, increase the incidence of upper respiratory tract and pulmonary infections. May cause metal fume fever. May also cause emphysema and acute pulmonary edema.

Ingestion: Absorption of manganese compounds from the gastrointestinal tract is poor under normal conditions. May cause abdominal pain and nausea.

Skin: May cause irritation.

Eye: May cause irritation.

Chronic Effects:
Inhalation: May cause pulmonary pneumonitis, manganism (psychosis and neurological disorders effecting the central nervous system).Ingestion: May cause manganism.

Skin: May cause dermatitis.

Eye: May cause conjunctivitis.

Organs: May affect the central nervous system, respiratory system, liver, reproductive system.

FROM http://www.espimetals.com/index.php/...ese-oxide-mno2
Thank you SO much! This is so helpful
0
reply
gemma1212
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#6
Report 3 years ago
#6
Was this hard? I'm doing this tomorrow!! Hate chemistry so much!! Any idea of a source??
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.25%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.62%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.78%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.04%
No, I chose not to (168)
29.32%

Watched Threads

View All