The Student Room Group

Quick Chemistry Question

So I am just doing my chemistry ISA, and I was wondering whether manganese oxide was dangerous? And if so , what effect does it have on the body? I am a awkward potato so cannot find the answer on the internet. Thank you :smile:)
V. HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION

Health Hazards:To the best of our knowledge the chemical, physical and toxicological properties of manganese oxide have not been thoroughly investigated and recorded.Some manganese compounds are experimental tumorigens. They can cause central nervous and pulmonary system damage by inhalation of fumes and dust. Very few poisonings have occurred from ingestion. Chronic manganese poisoning is a clearly characterized disease which results from inhalation of fumes or dusts of manganese. The central nervous system is the chief site of damage. Exposure to dusts and fumes can possibly increase the incidence of upper respiratory infections and pneumonia (Sax, Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials).

Acute Effects:Inhalation: May cause irritation of the respiratory tract and mucous membranes, increase the incidence of upper respiratory tract and pulmonary infections. May cause metal fume fever. May also cause emphysema and acute pulmonary edema.

Ingestion: Absorption of manganese compounds from the gastrointestinal tract is poor under normal conditions. May cause abdominal pain and nausea.

Skin: May cause irritation.

Eye: May cause irritation.

Chronic Effects:
Inhalation: May cause pulmonary pneumonitis, manganism (psychosis and neurological disorders effecting the central nervous system).Ingestion: May cause manganism.

Skin: May cause dermatitis.

Eye: May cause conjunctivitis.

Organs: May affect the central nervous system, respiratory system, liver, reproductive system.

FROM http://www.espimetals.com/index.php/msds/665-manganese-oxide-mno2
Original post by Holly.Hodgson99
So I am just doing my chemistry ISA, and I was wondering whether manganese oxide was dangerous? And if so , what effect does it have on the body? I am a awkward potato so cannot find the answer on the internet. Thank you :smile:)

Hey! Is your isa on catalyst and rates of reaction with manganese oxide and hydrogen peroxide? I did this ISA last year if it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Hey! Is your isa on catalyst and rates of reaction with manganese oxide and hydrogen peroxide? I did this ISA last year if it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh, sadly it is - I would say chemistry is the worst subject I have ... 0.e
Original post by danielwinstanley
V. HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION

Health Hazards:To the best of our knowledge the chemical, physical and toxicological properties of manganese oxide have not been thoroughly investigated and recorded.Some manganese compounds are experimental tumorigens. They can cause central nervous and pulmonary system damage by inhalation of fumes and dust. Very few poisonings have occurred from ingestion. Chronic manganese poisoning is a clearly characterized disease which results from inhalation of fumes or dusts of manganese. The central nervous system is the chief site of damage. Exposure to dusts and fumes can possibly increase the incidence of upper respiratory infections and pneumonia (Sax, Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials).

Acute Effects:Inhalation: May cause irritation of the respiratory tract and mucous membranes, increase the incidence of upper respiratory tract and pulmonary infections. May cause metal fume fever. May also cause emphysema and acute pulmonary edema.

Ingestion: Absorption of manganese compounds from the gastrointestinal tract is poor under normal conditions. May cause abdominal pain and nausea.

Skin: May cause irritation.

Eye: May cause irritation.

Chronic Effects:
Inhalation: May cause pulmonary pneumonitis, manganism (psychosis and neurological disorders effecting the central nervous system).Ingestion: May cause manganism.

Skin: May cause dermatitis.

Eye: May cause conjunctivitis.

Organs: May affect the central nervous system, respiratory system, liver, reproductive system.

FROM http://www.espimetals.com/index.php/msds/665-manganese-oxide-mno2

Thank you SO much! This is so helpful :biggrin:
Reply 5
Was this hard? I'm doing this tomorrow!! Hate chemistry so much!! Any idea of a source??

Quick Reply

Latest