Sociology or English Literature A-Level?

Watch
parkermandy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm really panicking now about what to study for A-Level. I managed to get the grades to get into sixth form, but I'm doubting my choice to study English Literature.

I got my GCSE results last week and I was expecting to get a B, I got a C.

I've been thinking about doing sociology for a while on and off, but I'm just worried if it's going to limit my choices for university.

I'm not entirely sure what I want to study at university yet. I'm planning on studying aboard in America though, so I'm not sure if they place the same emphasis on 'hard' and 'soft' subjects since I'll be submitting SAT/ACT scores too.

I found my GCSE Lit exams really hard, and I can only imagine how much harder it will be at A-Level.

The other A-Levels I'll be taking are English Language and ICT.

Could I please have some advice? My head keeps spinning with all of this.

Thank you.
LuiEmmitt
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its a tough one but don't worry about hard and soft subjects. Its no good having english literature which is seen as a 'hard' subject when its at a grade E. If you think you will be better at sociology then thats a good reason to select it but don't not choose it because you think it will be looked down upon. The only other piece of advice I would give is that if you don't know what you want to do at university, english literature opens tones of doors including law, journalism, media, film, drama, creative writing, english studies, sociology, psychology, philosophy, history of art and more, where as sociology virtually opens nothing up directly, you don't even need A-Level sociology to do a sociology degree. However, Sociology would also make you seem like a more well rounded student as you would then have a technology subject, an essay based subject /english study /language as well as a social science, which would probably be best if you ever do decided to study a social science e.g. politics, social policy, criminology, psychology, applied social sciences, international relations, business etc as it shows you've grown an interest in the area of social sciences. If you wanted to study any social science related degree at uni without having an a-level social science (sociology, psychology, health & Social Care, Geography or Law) you would probably find getting onto a course harder.
Hope this helped
Louis
Caver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would give a go at English Lit, check out mark schemes/past papers and if it doesn't work out for you - do sociology! Or English Lang&Lit combined? I'm giving Art History a go; although i'm not overly sure on it but if you don't try you'll never know.
ScarletXxXRose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you should take sociology
if you found gcse hard, you'll find a-level worse
its better to get good grades, esp. if you don't know exactly what you want to do yet
parkermandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by LuiEmmitt)
Its a tough one but don't worry about hard and soft subjects. Its no good having english literature which is seen as a 'hard' subject when its at a grade E. If you think you will be better at sociology then thats a good reason to select it but don't not choose it because you think it will be looked down upon. The only other piece of advice I would give is that if you don't know what you want to do at university, english literature opens tones of doors including law, journalism, media, film, drama, creative writing, english studies, sociology, psychology, philosophy, history of art and more, where as sociology virtually opens nothing up directly, you don't even need A-Level sociology to do a sociology degree. However, Sociology would also make you seem like a more well rounded student as you would then have a technology subject, an essay based subject /english study /language as well as a social science, which would probably be best if you ever do decided to study a social science e.g. politics, social policy, criminology, psychology, applied social sciences, international relations, business etc as it shows you've grown an interest in the area of social sciences. If you wanted to study any social science related degree at uni without having an a-level social science (sociology, psychology, health & Social Care, Geography or Law) you would probably find getting onto a course harder.
Hope this helped
Louis
Thank you for your answer, it was really helpful!
parkermandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caver)
I would give a go at English Lit, check out mark schemes/past papers and if it doesn't work out for you - do sociology! Or English Lang&Lit combined? I'm giving Art History a go; although i'm not overly sure on it but if you don't try you'll never know.
I might have a got at English Lit and see how I feel. Thank you for your answer!
parkermandy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScarletXxXRose)
you should take sociology
if you found gcse hard, you'll find a-level worse
its better to get good grades, esp. if you don't know exactly what you want to do yet
Thank you for answering!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.49%
I'm not sure (51)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (331)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.53%

Watched Threads