[Question] What do I need to know to pass my driving test?

Watch this thread
mrwhitz
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Greetings to everyone who are reading this.I'm going to be 17 soon, and then I will have the opportunity to apply for my driving license! That's very exciting, but however, I don't know anything about cars at all. I really want to pass my driving test, I don't want to keep retaking it.

I don't know much about cars, except for starting it and that's pretty much the end of it. I still got a 1/2 year to go. I really need advice on what I need to know to successfully pass my driving test!

Thank you.
SosbanFach
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
In short, get lessons. Nobody knows how to drive when they first start - I began by trundling about an industrial estate and stalling at regular intervals. You don't need to know a great deal about cars to pass your test. You do need to be able to operate one safely and complete some basic manoeuvres, and it really is best to get a qualified ADI, rather than be taught by your parents - they can do it, but may have formed bad habits, and may not necessarily be able to impart their knowledge or pick you up on errors. However, after a couple of lessons, you should ideally try and get practice with your parents in their car if possible.

The test is in two parts: theory (multiple choice test, which tests your knowledge of the Highway Code, and hazard perception videos, which test your reaction times to potential danger) For the theory, search Google for 'practice theory test' and you'll find loads of multiple choice for free online. For the hazard perception, there's a CD ROM you can buy with some specimen tests on, just so you know what to expect.

If it helps, this is the form that they use to assess you on the practical, with an explanation at the end. You must be able to do everything outlined on there (other than those not relevant to the car category, e.g. taxi manoeuvre, uncouple) safely and correctly - basically, you have to be able to drive without being a danger to others or yourself. You're allowed up to 15 of the 'minor' driver errors (marked in the first (wider) column of each skill) with no 'major' serious (marked 'S' i.e. those that could have caused danger of collision, or dangerous ('D' errors, which are those that did.

An example of faults might be at a traffic light. If you were to cross the stop line with the light on amber when you could reasonably have stopped when it stopped being green, you would expect a minor fault. Crossing the line with the light on red is illegal, but assuming there were no other pedestrians or vehicles in the junction or crossing, there would be only potential danger, not actual: that is a serious fault, and you would fail. If there was a pedestrian on that crossing or cars in the junction that had to take action to avoid collision, you pose a danger to the public and yourself, and have committed a dangerous fault. Also, the examiner would probably stop the test because they don't like dying.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Like most práctical skills it takes practice, initially you will struggle but gradually it comes together. I would recommend driving instructor plus top up practice with family if your relationship can handle it. As to passing it is about waiting till your instructor says your ready, controlling nerves and reasonable luck on the day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did the exam go for you?

Great! (6)
12.77%
Quite well (22)
46.81%
Not so good (12)
25.53%
Terrible! (7)
14.89%

Watched Threads