The Student Room Group

Anyone done the CFAB alongside a degree?

i'm coming up to the final year of law at uni, in the first two years i've had so much free time that i've wasted so i thought i might as well look into doing this certificate of finance, accounting and business.

i would be self taught, and would study at my own pace.

would it be worth doing to help secure a training contract in accountancy? i've calculated it would cost at least £600 but i'm pretty thin on the ground in paid work and have only ever done voluntary work.
Reply 1
I dont think so as it essential for students who join firms as apprentices -although anyone could do it to get the basic understanding. Saying that you could get a training contract with a firm and you can do the professional quals and u start of with basics anyways
CFAB is a waste of your personal money, especially if you haven't got much.

Just get a 2.1, then secure a training agreement with an ICAEW training provider. Don't use your own money, it's not very worth it considering a firm could pay for these exams when you join them
Reply 3
Original post by mo2
I dont think so as it essential for students who join firms as apprentices -although anyone could do it to get the basic understanding. Saying that you could get a training contract with a firm and you can do the professional quals and u start of with basics anyways

Original post by frenchfly
CFAB is a waste of your personal money, especially if you haven't got much.

Just get a 2.1, then secure a training agreement with an ICAEW training provider. Don't use your own money, it's not very worth it considering a firm could pay for these exams when you join them

thanks guys, i know you want to get the firm to pay for your qualifications but the reason i'm looking into this is because i'm a bit thin on hard evidence i would be able to do accounting. i did maths a level but that was 5 years ago. i want to give myself the best possible chance of getting a decent job as i know its a tough jobs market with so many graduates.

but if it wouldn't give me a substantially better chance it aint worth the £600 or so i suppose.
Original post by woodchuck
thanks guys, i know you want to get the firm to pay for your qualifications but the reason i'm looking into this is because i'm a bit thin on hard evidence i would be able to do accounting. i did maths a level but that was 5 years ago. i want to give myself the best possible chance of getting a decent job as i know its a tough jobs market with so many graduates.

but if it wouldn't give me a substantially better chance it aint worth the £600 or so i suppose.

What were your A-levels
What is your university and what subject are you studying?

If a top 35 uni and above BBB in first sitting of A-levels, then no need whatsoever for CFAB. One, it may be costly. Two, it isn't difficult to get a contract. So you will probably get one and if you can't pass the first 6, you weren't cut out for it. You'll get fired and you will have earned a bit of money and saved tuition costs. And you'll be in the same position you started.

Heck, 2 of the big4 no longer look at anything before degree level education anymore.

You'll be fine. Just nail that 2.1, without that, life becomes 150x more difficult for yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by frenchfly
What were your A-levels
What is your university and what subject are you studying?

If a top 35 uni and above BBB in first sitting of A-levels, then no need whatsoever for CFAB. One, it may be costly. Two, it isn't difficult to get a contract. So you will probably get one and if you can't pass the first 6, you weren't cut out for it. You'll get fired and you will have earned a bit of money and saved tuition costs. And you'll be in the same position you started.

Heck, 2 of the big4 no longer look at anything before degree level education anymore.

You'll be fine. Just nail that 2.1, without that, life becomes 150x more difficult for yourself.

AAB at a level and university of birmingham :smile:

i got on average 62% in the second year so on course for a 2:1 in law.

thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending