The Student Room Group

Edexcel remarking concern

Last year I'd completed AS level arabic for the examboard Edexcel, during my GCSE's I'd had achieved A* and am fluent in the language. Last year I'd recieved a B but however was 1 mark off an A. This was strange as I'm fluent in the language but I may have possibly lacked exam technique. The main concern here is after asking for a remark my mark did not go up or down. This is very strange as the exam is not like maths where it's hard to change your mark it's a language so fluctuation is expected, I noticed A LOT of students who asked for remarks for their subjects e.g. French asked for remarks and their marks did not change also. I have a concern Edexcel are not marking the papers they're paid to mark and are claiming our money without doing their job. This is very serious for the future of many students and am wondering if there's anything we can do. I really want this investigated as i've read over 15 pages of posts about remarks and found a strange pattern of marks that did not change with edexcels remarking. Please help me, the exam I did was from last year and I'm wondering if there's anything we can still do?

Scroll to see replies

I just had my edexcel maths remark come back with no change over 3 papers
Original post by Ahmed766
Last year I'd completed AS level arabic for the examboard Edexcel, during my GCSE's I'd had achieved A* and am fluent in the language. Last year I'd recieved a B but however was 1 mark off an A. This was strange as I'm fluent in the language but I may have possibly lacked exam technique. The main concern here is after asking for a remark my mark did not go up or down. This is very strange as the exam is not like maths where it's hard to change your mark it's a language so fluctuation is expected, I noticed A LOT of students who asked for remarks for their subjects e.g. French asked for remarks and their marks did not change also. I have a concern Edexcel are not marking the papers they're paid to mark and are claiming our money without doing their job. This is very serious for the future of many students and am wondering if there's anything we can do. I really want this investigated as i've read over 15 pages of posts about remarks and found a strange pattern of marks that did not change with edexcels remarking. Please help me, the exam I did was from last year and I'm wondering if there's anything we can still do?

Omg this is so weird cos i got the same grade as you in gcse arabic and im also one mark away from an A at AS (ordered a photocopy of the paper and am unsure about remarking)
also my sister sent her biology unit 1 exam for a remark yesterday and the school called saying there was no change today (it hasnt even been 24 hours)

my theory is that they check to see whether the paper was marked by a senior examiner or not and if it was then they dont bother remarking it and say it stayed the same

If you’re absolutely positive there’s something going on. I recommend to contact Ofqual: https://www.gov.uk/appeal-exam-result/appeal-a-review they’ll launch an internal investigation with regards to your paper. I hope things work out.
Reply 4
Original post by yasmin#2
Omg this is so weird cos i got the same grade as you in gcse arabic and im also one mark away from an A at AS (ordered a photocopy of the paper and am unsure about remarking)
also my sister sent her biology unit 1 exam for a remark yesterday and the school called saying there was no change today (it hasnt even been 24 hours)

my theory is that they check to see whether the paper was marked by a senior examiner or not and if it was then they dont bother remarking it and say it stayed the same

I'm very concerned because I think edexcel markers are getting away with this and i'm really scared because I did my paper last year so I hope it can go up :frown:
Please stay with this thread and try to raise as much awareness as possible, the more students we have on our side who have been scammed the more likely we are to get justice for the remarks because so many students that I have seen have complained of their grade not changing, if it was a subject like maths I would understand but for languages I'm sure the results should show more change.
Reply 5
Original post by iEthan
If you’re absolutely positive there’s something going on. I recommend to contact Ofqual: https://www.gov.uk/appeal-exam-result/appeal-a-review they’ll launch an internal investigation with regards to your paper. I hope things work out.

thank you for your post, I also looked online to get the regulators number. Can you help me if there's anything else we can do? Also is it possible that my paper from last year can still be investigated? Because I really didn't see that coming and really hope to change my grade and the grades of the other students who asked for remarks and did not get what they deserve.
I'm very concerned because I think edexcel markers are getting away with this and i'm really scared because I did my paper last year so I hope it can go up :frown:
Please stay with this thread and try to raise as much awareness as possible, the more students we have on our side who have been scammed the more likely we are to get justice for the remarks because so many students that I have seen have complained of their grade not changing, if it was a subject like maths I would understand but for languages I'm sure the results should show more change.

i agree with what youre saying, this is exactly what i was thinking earlier
my chemistry AS paper is being remarked and if it doesnt change theres something fishy going on
the exam officer said they sent 20 exam papers and only 1 changed (idk if the grade changed or not)

There's no way a paper from last year will be changed - it's too late.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
There's no way a paper from last year will be changed - it's too late.

Are you sure? I'm sure it wasn't remarked in the first place. This could really affect my future I need to know if there is ANYTHING at all I can do... I will try to contact Ofqual if I have enough student support.
Are you sure? I'm sure it wasn't remarked in the first place. This could really affect my future I need to know if there is ANYTHING at all I can do... I will try to contact Ofqual if I have enough student support.

Yes - I'm a teacher - the deadline was 20th September 2014.

You are way off-beam as Edexcel is one of the better exam boards - we get papers back and check them against the mark scheme.
Reply 10
Yes - I'm a teacher - the deadline was 20th September 2014.

You are way off-beam as Edexcel is one of the better exam boards - we get papers back and check them against the mark scheme.

Can you explain to me why a lot of student's marks didn't change? I'm sure there must be something wrong as the papers are "Marked" within a days time and sent back and the marks are the same?
Can you explain to me why a lot of student's marks didn't change? I'm sure there must be something wrong as the papers are "Marked" within a days time and sent back and the marks are the same?

It does not take long to mark a paper even of you double check every mark. It's all done on screen and the marks are printed on that the response has been given so all you need to do is check these against the mark scheme. I do this for any copies that students send for (before they ask for a remark) - it takes 10 to 15 minutes.
Reply 12
It does not take long to mark a paper even of you double check every mark. It's all done on screen and the marks are printed on that the response has been given so all you need to do is check these against the mark scheme. I do this for any copies that students send for (before they ask for a remark) - it takes 10 to 15 minutes.

The mark scheme is very important in marking but is not everything, whilst the mark scheme addresses the most important things in a question it does not always contain every single correct answer so a student may be right and may be awarded a mark by a senior or a more experienced examiner less experienced markers have trouble with things like that and so just leave the old mark without thinking how much a students needs that one mark. To you it's 15 minutes of marking but to me it's my whole future and all I needed was that one mark. It's not that i'm annoyed that I'm 1 mark off the next grade but because I paid money and the service I paid for I did not receive.
Reply 13
It is always possible the mark does not change because the original mark was correct?
The mark scheme is very important in marking but is not everything, whilst the mark scheme addresses the most important things in a question it does not always contain every single correct answer so a student may be right and may be awarded a mark by a senior or a more experienced examiner less experienced markers have trouble with things like that and so just leave the old mark without thinking how much a students needs that one mark. To you it's 15 minutes of marking but to me it's my whole future and all I needed was that one mark. It's not that i'm annoyed that I'm 1 mark off the next grade but because I paid money and the service I paid for I did not receive.

A senior examiner does ALL the remarks. If I am in any doubt we send it off but the papers are now very clear which marks have been awarded and why.
Reply 15
Original post by GANFYD
It is always possible the mark does not change because the original mark was correct?

That's true however I suspect that is not the case because of the speed at which the remarks are sent back, I don't think 15 minutes is even enough, I didn't ask for my marks to be counted. I paid and asked for every single word to be checked. This is the future of many people I am complaining because I feel the remarks are not being marked properly. It can't be right that a lot of students marks don't change after the remark is sent back in a day. I even read one student sent two papers to be remarked which were a humanities subject (I think history) His grade did not change and he received the remark in 1 day. coincidence?????
Reply 16
A senior examiner does ALL the remarks. If I am in any doubt we send it off but the papers are now very clear which marks have been awarded and why.

do you mark EVERYTHING? I don't please read the previous quote and understand my concerns. I really feel my paper was not remarked and I did not know of any appeals back then or what not and I really need that grade.
do you mark EVERYTHING? I don't please read the previous quote and understand my concerns. I really feel my paper was not remarked and I did not know of any appeals back then or what not and I really need that grade.

I teach maths so I do check all the maths queries but have colleagues that check other subjects.

You need to move on and resit or find another route to what you want to do. It's too late to do anything about your grade from last year. The paper has probably been destroyed by now.
The main concern here is after asking for a remark my mark did not go up or down. This is very strange as the exam is not like maths where it's hard to change your mark it's a language so fluctuation is expected, I noticed A LOT of students who asked for remarks for their subjects e.g. French asked for remarks and their marks did not change also. I have a concern Edexcel are not marking the papers they're paid to mark and are claiming our money without doing their job. This is very serious for the future of many students and am wondering if there's anything we can do. I really want this investigated as i've read over 15 pages of posts about remarks and found a strange pattern of marks that did not change with edexcels remarking. Please help me, the exam I did was from last year and I'm wondering if there's anything we can still do?

Exam boards have a fairly rigorous quality control system in an attempt to achieve consistent marking. You appear to be upset by this.

From my experience (of hundreds of re-marks) I would say that most don't change but quite a few go up or down 1 or 2 raw marks. The big UMS changes tend to be when a few raw marks translate to a lot of UMS marks. This is exactly what I'd expect from a system that (generally) works.. There is the occasional massive error (I've only seen 1 from Edexcel but that may be the subjects we do with them) but sadly that's inevitable given the 1,000,000s of scripts that are marked - though it doesn't make it any better for someone who suffers from it..

Your script form last year has almost certain been destroyed so there is nothing you can do about it.
Reply 19
I teach maths so I do check all the maths queries but have colleagues that check other subjects.

You need to move on and resit or find another route to what you want to do. It's too late to do anything about your grade from last year. The paper has probably been destroyed by now.

I will move on but only when I'm sure I've had the remark. Please tell me how the student who remarked two papers from humanities had the same mark for both papers that were returned the following day? One of my friends remarked her economics papers for WJEC and went up by 9 UMS. That is a very large jump and is almost a third of a grade.

Quick Reply

Latest