VA114 - Voting Review Amendment 2015 (Second Reading)

Watch
Poll: Should this amendment be made?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (30)
78.95%
On the contrary, No (4)
10.53%
Abstain (4)
10.53%
This discussion is closed.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
VA114 - Voting Review Amendment 2015 (Second Reading)

Proposed by: The Rt. Hon. Jarred MP
Seconded by: The Rt. Hon. adam9317 MP, The Rt. Hon. Aph MP, The Hon. Jammy Duel MP, The Hon. mobbsy91, The Rt. Hon. Unown Uzer MP

Voting Review Amendment 2015

Part I
To amend the MP Activity section of the Guidance Document from:

1) 4 weeks into the term, the Speaker will conduct a review of MP voting records aimed at assessing the proportion of votes that each MP has attended.

2) The Speaker will publish the results of the aforementioned review in the MHoC and highlight vacant seats and new MPs (those who have never previously served as an MP) whose voting turnout is less than 60%.

3) 8 weeks into the term, the Speaker will conduct another review of MP voting records: a. Seats highlighted in the previous review will be put up for by-election if they are still vacant or the voting turnout for Weeks 5 to 8 is less than 60%.

b. Seats held by non-new MPs whose voting turnout is less than 60% will be highlighted, as will seats vacated since the previous review.

c. Seats held by new MPs elected since the previous review whose voting turnout is less than 60% will be highlighted.

4) 12 weeks into the term, and every 4 weeks after that until the end of the term, the procedure detailed in 3) will be repeated.

5) Parties whose seat(s) were put up for by-election are prohibited from participating in the resultant by-election, which will follow normal by-election procedure.

To the following:

1) Four weeks after the State Opening of Parliament, the Speaker will publish a voting review outlining the turnout of each MP to all Division Lobby votes so far that term excluding amendments.

2) Vacant seats and seats with an attendance strictly less than 70% will be highlighted as under consideration for removal.

3) Four weeks after the previous voting review, another voting review will be published.
a) Seats will again be highlighted as under consideration for removal if they are vacant or have an attendance strictly less than 70%
b) A highlighted seat which was also highlighted in any previous voting review during the same term will be put up for by-election; normal by-election procedures apply.
c) Parties whose seat(s) were put up for by-election as the result of a voting review are prohibited from participating in the resultant by-election.

4) A new voting review is published every four weeks after and these procedures are repeated until the end of term.

5) In exceptional circumstances, the Speaker may choose not to conduct a voting review or to not carry out a by-election, and should inform the House of such intention.

Part II

And to rename this section from 'MP Activity' to 'MP Activity & Voting Reviews'.

Notes
This amendment seeks to increase the activity requirement from MPs, streamline the voting review procedure, and still provide MPs/parties the month long time period to improve. It also toughens the procedures on those who fall back into old habits. By doing all of this, the process is easier to understand, but at the same time, better activity will be encouraged whilst giving the opportunity for more active members to take up the seats of those who don't fully commit.

The Speaker is given discretion over how to handle everything as this is a GD matter, so they can vary how they conduct the process according to need.
Tahret
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sure
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No too much work on The Speaker.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by StatusRed)
No too much work on The Speaker.
Have you seen that we now have 2 automated voting review tools?
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Have you seen that we now have 2 automated voting review tools?
It's still too much, should at least be the deputy's duty.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye. Ironically, I nearly forgot to vote on this.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
Aye. Ironically, I nearly forgot to vote on this.
Lol, so did I :')
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ayes to the right: 30
Noes to the left: 4
Abstain: 4

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it. Unlock.

Turnout: 76%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.86%

Watched Threads