The Student Room Group

passed test but too nervous to drive

I passed my test in July 2014. Have been saving up money and only just this month been able to afford a car. So I haven't driven any car in over a year and I did however reverse the car into my garage after stalling it several times and bumping it on the garage doors :L I'm too nervous to take it out for a drive. My family don't drive, my bf doesn't drive and most my friends don't drive. Only friends who have full time jobs with like 2 + kids drive but they don't have time. Where my car is parked now is on a massive hill so even getting it started on this hill is scary let alone actually driving it. I can't afford to call my driving instructor to ask her for some more lessons. Help? :frown: been so keen waiting for this chance for an entire year and now it's come to it iv left it in the garage for over 2 weeks not wanting to touch it.
Reply 1
Original post by FionaP93
I passed my test in July 2014. Have been saving up money and only just this month been able to afford a car. So I haven't driven any car in over a year and I did however reverse the car into my garage after stalling it several times and bumping it on the garage doors :L I'm too nervous to take it out for a drive. My family don't drive, my bf doesn't drive and most my friends don't drive. Only friends who have full time jobs with like 2 + kids drive but they don't have time. Where my car is parked now is on a massive hill so even getting it started on this hill is scary let alone actually driving it. I can't afford to call my driving instructor to ask her for some more lessons. Help? :frown: been so keen waiting for this chance for an entire year and now it's come to it iv left it in the garage for over 2 weeks not wanting to touch it.

You need to get over this fear. You made extortionate amount of money to do the lessons, why allow all this to be wasted? Think about the time, dedication and determination you put yourself through to pass the theory and practical test. Envision yourself driving the car. With these in mind, take a leap of faith that you can drive the car. Over dependence on your driving instructors friends et al won't be beneficial to you. Check you tube videos to familiarize yourself with driving again. The videos on there are often very helpful. I wish you all the best OP! You can do it! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Vanny17
You need to get over this fear. You made extortionate amount of money to do the lessons, why allow all this to be wasted? Think about the time, dedication and determination you put yourself through to pass the theory and practical test. Envision yourself driving the car. With these in mind, take a leap of faith that you can drive the car. Over dependence on your driving instructors friends et al won't be beneficial to you. Check you tube videos to familiarize yourself with driving again. The videos on there are often very helpful. I wish you all the best OP! You can do it! :biggrin:

Thanks, I will try not to rely on other people but it's hard knowing I haven't driven in over a year. I'm more worried that I have forgotten everything including parking. I will look at some YouTube videos to try remember stuff. Guna be taking the car out tonight so I'll see how that goes. :smile:
Reply 3

Why don't you call up a driving instructor? They will do you a refresher course. Probably best to do a two hour lesson (looking at paying in between £40-£44). They will teach you how to drive again and it'll be like riding a bike once you get into it!
Reply 4
Original post by WHUFC06
Why don't you call up a driving instructor? They will do you a refresher course. Probably best to do a two hour lesson (looking at paying in between £40-£44). They will teach you how to drive again and it'll be like riding a bike once you get into it!

I would if I could afford it but on top of bills ect I won't be able to afford that untill October and don't wana wait that long.
Reply 5
I would if I could afford it but on top of bills ect I won't be able to afford that untill October and don't wana wait that long.

Are you close to a car park? Wake up early on a Sunday morning so the roads are free and drive it to a car park and practise getting use to the clutch again?

If you can't afford to make a phone call you probably can't afford to run a car...
Do you live in Norfolk by any chance?
Reply 8
Thanks, I will try not to rely on other people but it's hard knowing I haven't driven in over a year. I'm more worried that I have forgotten everything including parking. I will look at some YouTube videos to try remember stuff. Guna be taking the car out tonight so I'll see how that goes. :smile:

Great! That's a good start. Check youtube videos. Here's one I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE2r9p8AIuw. LDCDrivingSchools lessons on YouTube are very invaluable. There's no harm in trying! :biggrin:
FionaP93
x

Go for a drive late at night when it's quiet. Find a quiet road nearby to start with and refamiliarise yourself with moving off and so on. Once you get out on the road again you'll be fine, it'll all come rushing back to you. Bit different as I'd already driven for a year before, but I fairly recently came off a one-year gap from driving in a new car and it felt very weird at first, but within 15 minutes it was like I'd never been away :smile:
I recently passed my test and started driving on my own, so I know how you feel! First off - you passed! They wouldn't have passed you if you weren't ready to drive! You can do it!

To start with, I found getting used to a new car, after having learned in my instructors was very daunting. I tried to jump straight into it and just kept stalling at a junction and ended up in tears - not good. But we have a car park up the road from us - i drove it up there one evening when it was quiet and got myself used to the clutch etc. It really helped me gain confidence. (although I did have to keep revving it loads to start with so I wouldn't stall it!) After that, I'd suggest just driving where you know - how about going around the block once a day? Start small - work your way up!

Now, I'm a lot more comfortable driving on my own, however I do have to know exactly the route I'm taking before hand, or I'll start to panic!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 11

How did it go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending