Aerospace engineering- do I need physics? Watch

alexthomas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am doing A level Mathematics (with applied) and Design technology (D&T). However I am not studying physics. Is it essential I should study physics and are there any possibilities I.e do an AS in physics?
Thanks
seizetoday
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes ofcourse.
Atomix330
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, Physics would be considered essential.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are a few UK universities which don't require it, but to give some context my country's education department which doesn't normally fund foundation years would rather go against that rule and pay the extra £13,000 for it than let someone go to those unis
16Characters....
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Looking at some University entry requirements it would appear so:

Manchester: "Grades AAB which should include Mathematics and Physics plus one other subject. If Physics is not offered Maths must include substantive applied/mechanical elements (Modules M1 and M2). Two AS-levels of equivalent grade are acceptable in place of a third A-level. General Studies is not accepted."

Sheffield :"AAA Including maths and physics"

Bristol: "A*AA including Mathematics and Physics, with one of these at A*"

Brunel: "AAB, including Maths and Physics (General Studies not accepted)."

Imperial: "
  • A* in Mathematics
  • A*/A in Physics
  • A in a third A-level
  • A in a fourth subject"
I have heard of someone who is applying for Mechanical Engineering with only AS physics at Queen's Belfast in return for a higher maths requirement, though their entry requirements for Aerospace do not seem to suggest this is possible for your course: "AAB including Mathematics and at least one from Physics (preferred), Biology, Chemistry or Further Mathematics. "

Coventry: "BBB to include Mathematics and one from Engineering, Physics, or Design Technology. Excludes General Studies"

So Coventry is possible but clearly not taking physics would limit your options considerably, if we assume my sample of unis was a reliable indicator of the underlying population.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Liverpool dont require Physics if you have done Mechanicsin your Maths A level and thats the same for Manchester too
Swansea: BBB inc. Maths
UWE: Grade B or above in Mathematics plus a pass in one of the following subjects: Biology; Chemistry; Computing/Computer Science; Design and Technology; Electronics; Engineering; ICT; Further Maths; Music Technology; Physics; Statistics.
City University London: B in Maths (Physics desirable)
Leicester: BBB A-levels should normally include Maths and a physical science
Out of interest what is your third A level?
alexthomas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you everyone, very helpful indeed.
I am doing the Welsh baccalaureate course as my third a level. Looking back I now wish I took Physics and electronics as well.
The second course I am interested for Uni is Mathematics which hopefully are not too picky with subject requirements.
Atomix330
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alexthomas)
I am doing the Welsh baccalaureate course as my third a level. Looking back I now wish I took Physics and electronics as well.
The second course I am interested for Uni is Mathematics which hopefully are not too picky with subject requirements.
Doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics would be recommended.
bigboateng
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can also look at foundation courses, I know it along but it will give you more options in terms of the universities you can go to as there are only a few who will allow you to do aerospace without physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
DomoPLN
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alexthomas)
Hi, if you afare looking to apply for aerospace engineering at queens in Belfast i can tell you that physics is not required and yes i agree with other comments that'll be recommended to study. I'm starting this degree in Queens this year and got iin without physics however they'll probably want other sciences... I got A-levels in Maths,Biology,Chemistry and As in Physics ... hopefully that gives you an idea one of my maths modules was mechanics. My offer was ABB in any order... When i looked at clearing they had places for people with BBB.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads