The Student Room Group

Attending all freshers events

So I was wondering that if you don't attend all the fresher events then do you miss out on making friends?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
So I was wondering that if you don't attend all the fresher events then do you miss out on making friends?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whilst it would be very helpful to go to the freshers events to make friends, I don't think you'd need to go to every event. I'm starting at York in a few weeks and all the people I've spoken to aren't going to every single event. As long as you attend a good amount of them then you shouldn't have much problems in making friends
Reply 2
Original post by Sam280297
Whilst it would be very helpful to go to the freshers events to make friends, I don't think you'd need to go to every event. I'm starting at York in a few weeks and all the people I've spoken to aren't going to every single event. As long as you attend a good amount of them then you shouldn't have much problems in making friends

Yeh I think I'm just over reacting lol thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all.
You can attend one event and make just as many friends as those who attend all of the events. Personally I think all friends are made on the first night of Freshers and the first day of your course. These are the main friends, of course you make friends along the way but I don't the days you attend affects the amount of friends you make.
Reply 4
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Not at all.
You can attend one event and make just as many friends as those who attend all of the events. Personally I think all friends are made on the first night of Freshers and the first day of your course. These are the main friends, of course you make friends along the way but I don't the days you attend affects the amount of friends you make.

Yeh I suppose it's more about the quality rather than quantity basically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a good idea to go to some of them but you will be able to make friends in your course and halls as well
Reply 6
Original post by legzgo9
It's a good idea to go to some of them but you will be able to make friends in your course and halls as well

I'm living at home which is why I'm worried I'll be at a slight disadvantage to those living at halls. I suppose I just have to make a good effort on the first few weeks. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I won't be going to any events. I have a busy timetable of events for my subject that week (different induction bits to welcome to the course) and I'll be commuting via train with 3 children to get home to each day. Hoping it won't affect me too much!
Reply 8
I pushed myself to attend loads of things because I felt like it was what I should have been doing. I didnt enjoy it and in hindsight I woudnt have tried so hard to fit in with people who I didnt actually like.
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Not at all.

This is bull****. Are you even at uni? I've made friends from many places at lots of different times. When most unis have more than 10,000 students, do you really think that the only people you'll be friends with during your entire degree are the ones you met in the first few days?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
This is bull****. Are you even at uni? I've made friends from many places at lots of different times. When most unis have more than 10,000 students, do you really think that the only people you'll be friends with during your entire degree are the ones you met in the first few days?

First of all, you have no reason to be rude. My response was my response, not yours. I can understand what you are saying. Yes, I am at university, I'm going into my second year. I think the way I worded it has lead you astray. When I say that I was talking on personal experience that the friends I made in the first few days are the ones that turned out to be my best friends that lasted throughout the year. I continued to make friends as the year went on, be it from my course or outside events but not necessarily to the stature that I'd made in the first few days.

I don't appreciate your rudeness, I do on the other hand, see what you are saying in your reply. I should have reworded my response.
You won't miss out on making friends at all, but obviously attending these events helps. Lectures and societies are great ways for people not attending freshers to meet new people. You also will meet people through friends in many different situations. Honestly it's nothing to worry about. If you're really concerned, joining your universities freshers Facebook group/page and adding people from there can be a big help. I did that myself and when I started uni people were shocked at how many people kept coming up to me. Everyone is in the same boat remember and wants to make as many friends :smile:
Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going to clubs isn't the only way to make friends (though it might be more enjoyable that way) but join any societies so that you can find people similar to you?
You will make friends during your freshman year even if you're completely anti-social and awkward in large groups. Missing a few freshers events is nothing, there's more to do during freshers week anyway.
Freshers social events are a bit overrated IMO. What usually happens is a few weeks before the course starts, when people get their info pack about uni, it will include some info from the Students' Union about events being promoted by the SU during the first two weeks. A lot of students will then think oh this is what the social life is going to be like, so I need to get tickets for all these in advance.

Then when you get there, you realise the SU socials are a small part of the town/city activity in the place you have gone to uni, and as you make friends in your halls/flat people will be picking up flyers from different places in town and saying hey lets go here and suddenly you find everyone is going to that and you're trying to get rid of your ticket for the SU school disco or struggling to find someone to go with.

My tip is only get one or two of those tickets at most, maybe none at all. If there's a facebook group where you can find people in your halls/on your course before then post on there about the freshers' events and see if other people are up for going to them - if you can agree something before then go for it, otherwise there's nothing wrong with just turning up with no plans and going with the flow.

Quick Reply

Latest