Jerome85
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am really considering taking an additional AS (further mathematics) because i need to keep my options open because I would like to pursue a degree in Economics, Mathematics or Law at a Russell group university and for mathematics alone i know i will need Further mathematics

I will be taking A level:
Psychology (AS only)
English Literature
Mathematics
Economics

so would 5 AS levels be too much? I have set up my revision timetable for next year and i have planned on spending 7-8 hours a week on each subject, so yay or nay?

if not i can take the AS in A2 however i don't think ill be able to apply to Oxbridge because applications are early, any advice would be grateful

(I got an A in normal mathematics and in FMSQ)
ionalaura
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you know you need further math then i think you should take it. However, i'd drop psychology. As what's the point in taking an As only in psychology? Especially if it's not particulary relevant to the degree you wish to take.
Just my opinion. As i did 4 A levels and it was very tiring with the long days in college, i'd dread to think the amount of work and time 5 would take.
Good luck with whatever you decide though!
Peacefulmind
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jerome85)
I am really considering taking an additional AS (further mathematics) because i need to keep my options open because I would like to pursue a degree in Economics, Mathematics or Law at a Russell group university and for mathematics alone i know i will need Further mathematics

Psychology (AS only)
English Literature
Mathematics
Economics

so would 5 AS levels be too much? I have set up my revision timetable for next year and i have planned on spending 7-8 hours a week on each subject, so yay or nay?

if not i can take the AS in A2 however i don't think ill be able to apply to Oxbridge because applications are early, any advice would be grateful

I'm sure there are now changes to A levels and a few subjects including psychology for example, you'ld have to study the complete A level and so, you can't drop it after a year. You study the whole 2year course and sit the exams after the two years.
Jerome85
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Peacefulmind)
I'm sure there are now changes to A levels and a few subjects including psychology for example, you'ld have to study the complete A level and so, you can't drop it after a year. You study the whole 2year course and sit the exams after the two years.
No you can take the AS exam however it doesnt count towards your A2 so its a stand alone qualification
Neolamatrix
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I found further maths quite tricky (especially at A2) so you may find that you'll be spending more hours on f maths than on your other subjects. I know I definitely spent more than 8 hours a week on further maths but spent significantly less time doing economics. This means that it might make sense for you to do only 4 AS subjects to ensure you can do well in them all.
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jerome85)

Psychology (AS only)
English Literature
Mathematics
Economics

Most who do further maths get high A*s at normal maths and  at F maths GCSE. So make sure you're ready for it. Maybe take 5 at the beggining and see if you cope?

But if you're dead set on taking it, drop psychology, or even English. Maths and further is tricky, it may take up too much time for you to do another harder subject.

Ideally, the best option would be Further Maths, Maths, English Lit and Econ.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (53)
29.78%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.92%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
23.6%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
8.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (45)
25.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed