The Student Room Group

How to tone up but not lose weight

My aim is not to lose weight but to tone up: mainly my bum, stomach and arms/legs because even though I'm a size 8/10, I have a small frame (5ft2) so everything is starting to get 'podgy' (although my arms are skinny).

I am interested in swimming, will be starting judo twice a week and hope to go to the gym at least once every week also.
In order to tone up the areas I have suggested, what exercises would you recommend with the aim to NOT lose weight, and how much of each exercise.

Thanks for any help :smile:
Read the FAQ, you should start lifting tbh. You want to gain muscle as you likely have bugger all atm (soft frame, skinny arms).

The affect of cardio on muscle mass is minimal in comparison to lifting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm exactly the same I want to tone up. I've just started small with small weights, squats, sit ups, lunges while I'm at home :smile: x
Reply 3
it's not possible. you have to lose the fat in order to reveal the muscle. you could do 30000 situps a day, but if you have a flabby stomach it will never look toned.
Reply 4
QUOTE=RollerBall;58868777] x
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Katrina23
x

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, I'll make sure to add those exercises and look at the FAQ :smile:

Original post by ldsbabe
it's not possible. you have to lose the fat in order to reveal the muscle. you could do 30000 situps a day, but if you have a flabby stomach it will never look toned.

The trouble I have is that if I lose any weight I'll lose it from everywhere (won't I?) so it'll make me too thin in other areas. Do you know of any exercises that will focus only on the stomach and lose more fat in that area than others? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by purplelamp
QUOTE=RollerBall;58868777] x
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, I'll make sure to add those exercises and look at the FAQ :smile:

The trouble I have is that if I lose any weight I'll lose it from everywhere (won't I?) so it'll make me too thin in other areas. Do you know of any exercises that will focus only on the stomach and lose more fat in that area than others? :smile:

There isn't really such thing as selective weight loss :frown:
Up your food intake to account for the calories you will be burning at the gym, get some protein and work your butt off :wink:

2 Websites I love:

My fitness pal - Helping with diet plans for maintaining weight, it will calculate how many calories you need to eat for the amount your burning at the gym to stay the same weight.

Pinterest for workout ideas, I personally love kettle bells and yoga. But, don't be afraid of the weights room, it's not just for boys!
Reply 7
Original post by purplelamp
My aim is not to lose weight but to tone up: mainly my bum, stomach and arms/legs because even though I'm a size 8/10, I have a small frame (5ft2) so everything is starting to get 'podgy' (although my arms are skinny).

I am interested in swimming, will be starting judo twice a week and hope to go to the gym at least once every week also.
In order to tone up the areas I have suggested, what exercises would you recommend with the aim to NOT lose weight, and how much of each exercise.

Thanks for any help :smile:

swimming is gud hun an so is situps for toning :-) im a personal trainor xxx

Quick Reply

Latest