This discussion is closed.
EmpireofRome
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Exeter university has never been on my radar before, but in the past few months it has piqued my interest heavily, although I still don't know much about it apart from their wiki page, CUG and Guardian guide, and rankings. These are helpful yes but they still don't build a full enough picture, and I probably won't get a good enough picture of it until I go and visit on the open day, but I wanted to get some opinions in the meantime.

How does it stack up next to the other RG uni's. Rep with employers? Rep of the Law school? How is Exeter city like?

Any opinions would be useful. Thanks

PS. I did not want to post this solely in the Exeter uni forum as I wanted a wider range of opinions.
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Trouble is any Exeter students will be biased and will have nothing to compare with. CUG and Guardian guide is the best objective comparison you are going to get.

What no one ever seems to realise is that employers tend not to be in the know when it comes to rankings so in my book, a first from Exeter is as good as a first from Durham, York, Manchester or the University of Central England for all I care. But regardless of all that, I am looking for bright, enthusiastic folks who can get things done, and sadly there is no university that teaches that.

Good luck!
Glenbard
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am at Warwick, and looked very closely at Exeter, and have a number of friends there. From what I can see, the course, Profs,intern ships received by students are pretty similar at both Universities. However, Exeter does have a beautiful campus(one of the nicest I have seen) and an excellent social life. The Sports centre is amazing. (We have a rock climbing wall room, but the rest is lousy.)
EmpireofRome
Rep:
?
Anyone else?
Film
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just graduated from Exeter. Very well run and managed university. I would not have wanted to go anywhere ekse(except Oxbridge ) I loved it!
EmpireofRome
Rep:
?
(Original post by Film)
Just graduated from Exeter. Very well run and managed university. I would not have wanted to go anywhere ekse(except Oxbridge ) I loved it!
I've seen you post in quite a few threads about Exeter, do you mind answering some questions?

1. I'm not sure what course you did, but on the whole would you say the law department reputable? I note tha many of their subjects are ranked in the top 10 apart from law, so I'm really unsure.

2. Now, I know Exeter is going to be made up predominantly of white students and I have no issues with that, but as a young black man I'm concerned about expericing racism and feeling ostracised in the uni/city. Have you ever seen any incidents of racism on campus or the city, and if so how was it dealt like?

3. This may be completely irrelevant, but I came across an article the other day stating the university was £200m in debt, but they were managing it. Is this normal, and in your time there do you think the facilities, staff ratio etc were limited due to finances?

4. Lastly, rent prices. On the whole, how do you think they compare to the rest of the UK. I'd be looking to live in private rental properties as I'll be living with my girlfriend there, so I'm curious.
Film
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EmpireofRome)
I've seen you post in quite a few threads about Exeter, do you mind answering some questions?

1. I'm not sure what course you did, but on the whole would you say the law department reputable? I note tha many of their subjects are ranked in the top 10 apart from law, so I'm really unsure.

2. Now, I know Exeter is going to be made up predominantly of white students and I have no issues with that, but as a young black man I'm concerned about expericing racism and feeling ostracised in the uni/city. Have you ever seen any incidents of racism on campus or the city, and if so how was it dealt like?

3. This may be completely irrelevant, but I came across an article the other day stating the university was £200m in debt, but they were managing it. Is this normal, and in your time there do you think the facilities, staff ratio etc were limited due to finances?

4. Lastly, rent prices. On the whole, how do you think they compare to the rest of the UK. I'd be looking to live in private rental properties as I'll be living with my girlfriend there, so I'm curious.
1. Yes, law is taken seriously at Exeter, and it's students do well with law placements and jobs with the major firms.
2. Yes, Exeter is predominately White. This is a fact. However, in 4 years I never once saw any racism.
3. It seemed the opposite of limited. I felt that they spent too much. They are continually spending money and upgrading the facilities. They know that due to the 52% increase in applications, there is little risk.
4.prices are a bit higher than the national average. Students usually pay anywhere from 80 pounds to 120 per week per person in a private house.
username638250
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The unfortunate perception I have of Exeter is a uni full of 'posh' people from Surrey/people from my school who were pretty average. :l Like a less good version of Durham. Having said that, still a decent uni in its own right..
King of the Ring
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think Exeter is quite there yet, but very up and coming. It is going through a golden period in the national league tables after a decade of huge investment. The challenge for Exeter is going to be whether they can maintain this in the longer term, especially as they now have to repay a huge defecit, as do Lancaster and York. In the World rankings they are still miles off, not even in the top 150 in any of the three major rankings.

Exeter = York
King of the Ring
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Film)
1. Yes, law is taken seriously at Exeter, and it's students do well with law placements and jobs with the major firms.
2. Yes, Exeter is predominately White. This is a fact. However, in 4 years I never once saw any racism.
3. It seemed the opposite of limited. I felt that they spent too much. They are continually spending money and upgrading the facilities. They know that due to the 52% increase in applications, there is little risk.
4.prices are a bit higher than the national average. Students usually pay anywhere from 80 pounds to 120 per week per person in a private house.
They'll be spending the next 8-10 years paying that back off, and with it their annual spending and national ranking will almost certainly fall year on year over a decade. It happens to all big spending universities.
EmpireofRome
Rep:
?
(Original post by King of the Ring)
They'll be spending the next 8-10 years paying that back off, and with it their annual spending and national ranking will almost certainly fall year on year over a decade. It happens to all big spending universities.
Just curious, which other universities has this happened to in the past? And what do you think they should have done instead?
lizmoo0721
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had an offer to study there, I chose to study in London instead. I much prefer the diversity of London, but everything else there seems lovely.
Applescruff
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It has kinda a bad reputation I think, particularly with those from a typical state school - that it's considered to be full of privately educated Oxbridge rejects. Of course this isn't all going to be accurate. But still, Devon seems expensive and kinda boring.

It's more what you want from a uni.
King of the Ring
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just curious, which other universities has this happened to in the past? And what do you think they should have done instead?
Durham was in dire financial stress in the 90s, and spent many years ranking poorly in national rankings, but over time they have turned the corner. Likewise Lancaster. Nottingham spent heavy in the 90s/early 00s, and but they massively expanded student numbers to offset their debts, and have a good financial position overall.
King of the Ring
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exeter is running on fumes at the moment, as they seem content to pay back their debts through interests rates alone. That will saddle them with debt for a very long time.
EmpireofRome
Rep:
?
Exeter is running on fumes at the moment, as they seem content to pay back their debts through interests rates alone. That will saddle them with debt for a very long time.

How would you say Warwick fares in comparison to Exeter? They're both of around the same age and Exeter is edging closer to Warwick in the tables. It seems Warwick has built a sterling reputation for itself but do you think this will lead into the future? And how are they doing financially? I am aware that you're not psychic but you seem to know a lot about universities and their strategies judging from other threads.
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The other poster makes it seem like he's some financial consultant the universities use, with his half-baked assessments of universities' finances. He does this continually. I'd ignore his nonsense though because he's be in the exact same position as you; hasn't even been to uni never mind run their accounts.

In any case, the ones which I seem to be moving towards are St Andrews, Edinburgh, UCL and Durham. The advice I am getting from my school is to choose a Russell Group university, of which most of the above are. The last one I haven't yet decided on, I was considering Glasgow but recent posters have lulled me away.
King of the Ring
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How would you say Warwick fares in comparison to Exeter? They're both of around the same age and Exeter is edging closer to Warwick in the tables. It seems Warwick has built a sterling reputation for itself but do you think this will lead into the future? And how are they doing financially? I am aware that you're not psychic but you seem to know a lot about universities and their strategies judging from other threads.
I don't know about Warwick's financial position, but they were in the past credited for raising 60% of their own income around 2002-2005. Warwick has a stronger overall reputation that Exeter, both nationally and internationally. But Exeter is hardly a bad university, it is still very respected by students, employers and academics as an up and coming university.
NikolaT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would agree with callum and just ignore King of the Ring.

I'm a new fresher from this year so I don't know the uni that well but if you still have some Qs I'll try to answer.
King of the Ring
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NikolaT)
I would agree with callum and just ignore King of the Ring.

I'm a new fresher from this year so I don't know the uni that well but if you still have some Qs I'll try to answer.
Only a fool would choose a university based on what people say on TSR. But one cannot deny that Warwick and Nottingham are held in higher regard than Exeter both nationally and internationally by employers and academics.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed