Can One BTEC subject get you to University?

Watch this thread
Deeboss
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have completed 6 Units in BTEC IT in year 12 at subsidary Diploma, and i am going to further do 6 more to complete my National Diploma in year 13. I also did Applied Science in year 12 at subsidary diploma also 6 units, however my main question is if i stopped doing Applied science in year 13, can i still get to University with my one BTEC IT qualification. I would have equivalent to 3 A-levels right?
EmEmTheFairy
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
If your IT BTEC is the Extended Diploma, then it is the equivalent of 3 A-Levels and you can get into most uni's with this qualification. The regular diploma is worth just two A-Levels and probably won't give you enough UCAS points.
Deeboss
Rep:
(Original post by EmEmTheFairy)
If your IT BTEC is the Extended Diploma, then it is the equivalent of 3 A-Levels and you can get into most uni's with this qualification. The regular diploma is worth just two A-Levels and probably won't give you enough UCAS points.
If i do my National Diploma in BTEC IT, alongside having my completed Subsidary from year 12 and my Btec Science from year 12. Would that mean i have 3 a levels? Because i might have to discontinue doing btec applied science national diploma in year 13 due to insufficient student within the course.
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Deeboss)
If i do my National Diploma in BTEC IT, alongside having my completed Subsidary from year 12 and my Btec Science from year 12. Would that mean i have 3 a levels? Because i might have to discontinue doing btec applied science national diploma in year 13 due to insufficient student within the course.
The National Diploma in ICT is equivalent to two A Level subjects whilst the Subsidiary Diploma in Science would be equivalent to one. So yes, you would have three A Level equivalents with total UCAS value between 140 (minimum) to 420 (maximum) depending on what grades you get, from what I can gather.
Deeboss
Rep:
(Original post by Davalla)
The National Diploma in ICT is equivalent to two A Level subjects whilst the Subsidiary Diploma in Science would be equivalent to one. So yes, you would have three A Level equivalents with total UCAS value between 140 (minimum) to 420 (maximum) depending on what grades you get, from what I can gather.
Thanks for the reply! No its just i was kind of worried, because someone told me in my college the staff were going to discontinue the course in my college due to insufficient student, which i found crazy.

But that was not that case, the issue was that they cannot allocate time to our btec science classes during the day, so i will have to after school sessions of Btec Applied science. There arent that many teachers in the science department and they focus more on the a-leve students doing science during the school hours, which is kind of annoying because they make it like BTEC is nothing, whilst it is actually the same. My ******ed college lol.

I was thinking in the worst case scenario if i didnt do BTEC science in year 13 (National Diploma), but carried on the IT national Diploma i wanted to ensure i would still have atleas 3 a levels equivalent.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yes you would have the following:

BTEC Level 3 Diploma, IT = 2 A levels
BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma, Applied Science = 1 A level

thus you have equivalent to 3 A levels and enough to get into university
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Deeboss)
I have completed 6 Units in BTEC IT in year 12 at subsidary Diploma, and i am going to further do 6 more to complete my National Diploma in year 13. I also did Applied Science in year 12 at subsidary diploma also 6 units, however my main question is if i stopped doing Applied science in year 13, can i still get to University with my one BTEC IT qualification. I would have equivalent to 3 A-levels right?
Yeah BND (BTEC national diploma) is equivalent to 3 a levels at grade c-a* Pass, Merit, Distinction and Distinction* so yeah you can get in to uni with one national diploma I did.
bamtutor
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
Yeah BND (BTEC national diploma) is equivalent to 3 a levels at grade c-a* Pass, Merit, Distinction and Distinction* so yeah you can get in to uni with one national diploma I did.
As the OP was over 4 years ago, they have probably finished University now.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
You are bumping a 4 year old thread. Its only the extended diploma that - 3 A levels.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You are bumping a 4 year old thread. Its only the extended diploma that - 3 A levels.
That always throws me the related threads underneath and when I did my BND it was worth 3 A-levels although many years ago when I did mine you only had First (higher GCSE level) and National Diplomas (A level) available to you. You could also do a NC but that was only worth 2 A levels.
joemama12
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
what course are you studying in uni? also are you taking any a levels. what other btecs did u do?
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by joemama12)
what course are you studying in uni? also are you taking any a levels. what other btecs did u do?
Well I've graduated now I have a BFD (Btec first diploma) a BND (Btec national diploma) and an HND (Btec higher national diploma). I then topped up to a full degree I also did an AVCE but the less said about that the better.
joemama12
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Well I've graduated now I have a BFD (Btec first diploma) a BND (Btec national diploma) and an HND (Btec higher national diploma). I then topped up to a full degree I also did an AVCE but the less said about that the better.
ye but do you reckon you made a good choice dwelving in to the IT industry? also a national diploma= 2 a levels.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
ye but do you reckon you made a good choice dwelving in to the IT industry? also a national diploma= 2 a levels.
Yeah it was actually an engineering and computing one and i really enjoy it.

It was quite long time ago now (I'm old) at the time it was just a National Diploma and National Certificate the old National Diploma in now the Extended and the National Certificate which was worth 2 a levels is now called the National Diploma.it got me in to uni though so it's moot.
joemama12
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
what did u study and where have u worked after getting the degree
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
what did u study and where have u worked after getting the degre I studied ate
I studied at Solent and I work at AQUAnet international.
Last edited by jonathanemptage; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (140)
29.41%
It went fairly well (228)
47.9%
It didn't go too well (69)
14.5%
TERRIBLE! (39)
8.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed