The Student Room Group

Can One BTEC subject get you to University?

I have completed 6 Units in BTEC IT in year 12 at subsidary Diploma, and i am going to further do 6 more to complete my National Diploma in year 13. I also did Applied Science in year 12 at subsidary diploma also 6 units, however my main question is if i stopped doing Applied science in year 13, can i still get to University with my one BTEC IT qualification. I would have equivalent to 3 A-levels right?
If your IT BTEC is the Extended Diploma, then it is the equivalent of 3 A-Levels and you can get into most uni's with this qualification. The regular diploma is worth just two A-Levels and probably won't give you enough UCAS points.
Reply 2
Original post by EmEmTheFairy
If your IT BTEC is the Extended Diploma, then it is the equivalent of 3 A-Levels and you can get into most uni's with this qualification. The regular diploma is worth just two A-Levels and probably won't give you enough UCAS points.

If i do my National Diploma in BTEC IT, alongside having my completed Subsidary from year 12 and my Btec Science from year 12. Would that mean i have 3 a levels? Because i might have to discontinue doing btec applied science national diploma in year 13 due to insufficient student within the course.
Reply 3
Original post by Deeboss
If i do my National Diploma in BTEC IT, alongside having my completed Subsidary from year 12 and my Btec Science from year 12. Would that mean i have 3 a levels? Because i might have to discontinue doing btec applied science national diploma in year 13 due to insufficient student within the course.

The National Diploma in ICT is equivalent to two A Level subjects whilst the Subsidiary Diploma in Science would be equivalent to one. So yes, you would have three A Level equivalents with total UCAS value between 140 (minimum) to 420 (maximum) depending on what grades you get, from what I can gather.
Reply 4
Original post by Davalla
The National Diploma in ICT is equivalent to two A Level subjects whilst the Subsidiary Diploma in Science would be equivalent to one. So yes, you would have three A Level equivalents with total UCAS value between 140 (minimum) to 420 (maximum) depending on what grades you get, from what I can gather.

Thanks for the reply! No its just i was kind of worried, because someone told me in my college the staff were going to discontinue the course in my college due to insufficient student, which i found crazy.

But that was not that case, the issue was that they cannot allocate time to our btec science classes during the day, so i will have to after school sessions of Btec Applied science. There arent that many teachers in the science department and they focus more on the a-leve students doing science during the school hours, which is kind of annoying because they make it like BTEC is nothing, whilst it is actually the same. My retarded college lol.

I was thinking in the worst case scenario if i didnt do BTEC science in year 13 (National Diploma), but carried on the IT national Diploma i wanted to ensure i would still have atleas 3 a levels equivalent.
Reply 5
Yes you would have the following:

BTEC Level 3 Diploma, IT = 2 A levels
BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma, Applied Science = 1 A level

thus you have equivalent to 3 A levels and enough to get into university
Original post by Deeboss
I have completed 6 Units in BTEC IT in year 12 at subsidary Diploma, and i am going to further do 6 more to complete my National Diploma in year 13. I also did Applied Science in year 12 at subsidary diploma also 6 units, however my main question is if i stopped doing Applied science in year 13, can i still get to University with my one BTEC IT qualification. I would have equivalent to 3 A-levels right?

Yeah BND (BTEC national diploma) is equivalent to 3 a levels at grade c-a* Pass, Merit, Distinction and Distinction* so yeah you can get in to uni with one national diploma I did.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Yeah BND (BTEC national diploma) is equivalent to 3 a levels at grade c-a* Pass, Merit, Distinction and Distinction* so yeah you can get in to uni with one national diploma I did.

As the OP was over 4 years ago, they have probably finished University now.

You are bumping a 4 year old thread. Its only the extended diploma that - 3 A levels.
Original post by 999tigger
You are bumping a 4 year old thread. Its only the extended diploma that - 3 A levels.

That always throws me the related threads underneath and when I did my BND it was worth 3 A-levels although many years ago when I did mine you only had First (higher GCSE level) and National Diplomas (A level) available to you. You could also do a NC but that was only worth 2 A levels.

what course are you studying in uni? also are you taking any a levels. what other btecs did u do?
Original post by joemama12
what course are you studying in uni? also are you taking any a levels. what other btecs did u do?

Well I've graduated now I have a BFD (Btec first diploma) a BND (Btec national diploma) and an HND (Btec higher national diploma). I then topped up to a full degree I also did an AVCE but the less said about that the better.
Well I've graduated now I have a BFD (Btec first diploma) a BND (Btec national diploma) and an HND (Btec higher national diploma). I then topped up to a full degree I also did an AVCE but the less said about that the better.

ye but do you reckon you made a good choice dwelving in to the IT industry? also a national diploma= 2 a levels.
ye but do you reckon you made a good choice dwelving in to the IT industry? also a national diploma= 2 a levels.

Yeah it was actually an engineering and computing one and i really enjoy it.

It was quite long time ago now (I'm old) at the time it was just a National Diploma and National Certificate the old National Diploma in now the Extended and the National Certificate which was worth 2 a levels is now called the National Diploma.it got me in to uni though so it's moot.
what did u study and where have u worked after getting the degree
what did u study and where have u worked after getting the degre I studied ate

I studied at Solent and I work at AQUAnet international.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest