Can One BTEC subject get you to University? Watch

Deeboss
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have completed 6 Units in BTEC IT in year 12 at subsidary Diploma, and i am going to further do 6 more to complete my National Diploma in year 13. I also did Applied Science in year 12 at subsidary diploma also 6 units, however my main question is if i stopped doing Applied science in year 13, can i still get to University with my one BTEC IT qualification. I would have equivalent to 3 A-levels right?
EmEmTheFairy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If your IT BTEC is the Extended Diploma, then it is the equivalent of 3 A-Levels and you can get into most uni's with this qualification. The regular diploma is worth just two A-Levels and probably won't give you enough UCAS points.
Deeboss
Rep:
?
(Original post by EmEmTheFairy)
If your IT BTEC is the Extended Diploma, then it is the equivalent of 3 A-Levels and you can get into most uni's with this qualification. The regular diploma is worth just two A-Levels and probably won't give you enough UCAS points.
If i do my National Diploma in BTEC IT, alongside having my completed Subsidary from year 12 and my Btec Science from year 12. Would that mean i have 3 a levels? Because i might have to discontinue doing btec applied science national diploma in year 13 due to insufficient student within the course.
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Deeboss)
If i do my National Diploma in BTEC IT, alongside having my completed Subsidary from year 12 and my Btec Science from year 12. Would that mean i have 3 a levels? Because i might have to discontinue doing btec applied science national diploma in year 13 due to insufficient student within the course.
The National Diploma in ICT is equivalent to two A Level subjects whilst the Subsidiary Diploma in Science would be equivalent to one. So yes, you would have three A Level equivalents with total UCAS value between 140 (minimum) to 420 (maximum) depending on what grades you get, from what I can gather.
Deeboss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davalla)
The National Diploma in ICT is equivalent to two A Level subjects whilst the Subsidiary Diploma in Science would be equivalent to one. So yes, you would have three A Level equivalents with total UCAS value between 140 (minimum) to 420 (maximum) depending on what grades you get, from what I can gather.
Thanks for the reply! No its just i was kind of worried, because someone told me in my college the staff were going to discontinue the course in my college due to insufficient student, which i found crazy.

But that was not that case, the issue was that they cannot allocate time to our btec science classes during the day, so i will have to after school sessions of Btec Applied science. There arent that many teachers in the science department and they focus more on the a-leve students doing science during the school hours, which is kind of annoying because they make it like BTEC is nothing, whilst it is actually the same. My retarded college lol.

I was thinking in the worst case scenario if i didnt do BTEC science in year 13 (National Diploma), but carried on the IT national Diploma i wanted to ensure i would still have atleas 3 a levels equivalent.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes you would have the following:

BTEC Level 3 Diploma, IT = 2 A levels
BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma, Applied Science = 1 A level

thus you have equivalent to 3 A levels and enough to get into university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (61)
18.65%
Labour (161)
49.24%
Liberal Democrats (46)
14.07%
Green Party (20)
6.12%
Brexit Party (4)
1.22%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.92%
SNP (7)
2.14%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.61%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.22%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)