Hhhhss
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can I get into any university's with these courses and preferably into a computing courses.
Some university's will accept btec only if it is a computing or numerate subjects is there any subjects that I can switch my btec to so I will be able to do the computing course.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the IT BTEC Extended is really good, you are able to do loads of computing and programming content and prepares you well for work of HE in a computing field
Hhhhss
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
the IT BTEC Extended is really good, you are able to do loads of computing and programming content and prepares you well for work of HE in a computing field
I can't do btec IT since I am already doing A level ICT.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hhhhss)
I can't do btec IT since I am already doing A level ICT.
The BTEC covers more Computing content, if you want to take Computing or Computer Science at uni I would suggest changing from A level ICT which is all databases, spreadsheets and info systems and change to the BTEC where you would get to do programming, software development, computer systems / systems architecture, networks, maths, security and so much more relevant stuff, just a thought
Hhhhss
Rep:
?
The BTEC covers more Computing content, if you want to take Computing or Computer Science at uni I would suggest changing from A level ICT which is all databases, spreadsheets and info systems and change to the BTEC where you would get to do programming, software development, computer systems / systems architecture, networks, maths, security and so much more relevant stuff, just a thought
I really want to take the as ICT to a level so do you think there is another btec I could take that would be helpful.
Also I emailed the university and they said the btec will need to be in a computing subject or engineering will be some other options that will be accepted.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really want to take the as ICT to a level so do you think there is another btec I could take that would be helpful.
Also I emailed the university and they said the btec will need to be in a computing subject or engineering will be some other options that will be accepted.
Fair enough

BTEC Electronic Engineering would help you but thats really the only one that would apart from IT
How come you want to take A level ICT so bad? I would suggest you look at some university entry requirements pages, for example my university accepts the BTEC in IT because the content that you learn is similar to the structure of the degree, but they state that they do not consider A level ICT as a suficiently analytical subject
Hhhhss
Rep:
?
Fair enough

BTEC Electronic Engineering would help you but thats really the only one that would apart from IT
How come you want to take A level ICT so bad? I would suggest you look at some university entry requirements pages, for example my university accepts the BTEC in IT because the content that you learn is similar to the structure of the degree, but they state that they do not consider A level ICT as a suficiently analytical subject
http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...rses/80041.htm
This course allows an a level of ICT that's why I wanted to do it and I don't have maths which is there other option. Also there are some other university's that will accept alevel ICT with a computing subject for BTEC.
I want to do any type of computing course in a decent university.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...rses/80041.htm
This course allows an a level of ICT that's why I wanted to do it and I don't have maths which is there other option. Also there are some other university's that will accept alevel ICT with a computing subject for BTEC.
I want to do any type of computing course in a decent university.
The IT BTEC is the only Computing based subject you can do as a BTEC, Electronic Eng may help you with certain modules but you wont do any programming

Most unicersities will accept it, but if most top unis wont accept it in place of Maths or Computing A level, QMUL is an exception, but im not really sure why they require it

They may accept it, but A level ICT is nothing like Computer Science, if you want to study Computing or Computer Science, generally you will need to either be really good at maths OR have a decent amount of programming experience, A level ICT you dont so any programming, you basically just learn how applications are used like spreadsheets and databases and their role in business

Have a look at a Computer Science degree structure, its all maths and programming basicalky
Hhhhss
Rep:
?
The IT BTEC is the only Computing based subject you can do as a BTEC, Electronic Eng may help you with certain modules but you wont do any programming

Most unicersities will accept it, but if most top unis wont accept it in place of Maths or Computing A level, QMUL is an exception, but im not really sure why they require it

They may accept it, but A level ICT is nothing like Computer Science, if you want to study Computing or Computer Science, generally you will need to either be really good at maths OR have a decent amount of programming experience, A level ICT you dont so any programming, you basically just learn how applications are used like spreadsheets and databases and their role in business

Have a look at a Computer Science degree structure, its all maths and programming basicalky
I not really worried about the content of the course as I can always learn its more of getting to meet the entry requirements for the university's.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I not really worried about the content of the course as I can always learn its more of getting to meet the entry requirements for the university's.
Well then you may be in for a bit of a shock when you start a Computer Science degree

Also taking the BTEC in IT will actually open up more university choices, a lot of good unis dont take ICT A level, they usually ask for A levels including Maths, Computing or Physics, ICT A level isnt the same as Computing, alternative entry requirements usually include the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT, this is because the IT BTEC can include a lot of Computing content and is good preparation for a Computing or Computer Science degree, ICT isnt very well regarded and will seriously limit your options of good unis
CompSci1101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dont take ICT A level if you want to do Computer Science at uni, its so bad and is not respected

What are your other A level choices? I am a Computer Science student and I took Computing (A*) Electronics (A*) Use of Mathematics (A*) and Statistics (A) as my A levels.

ICT A level will not meet requirements for top unis, Queen Mary is a good university but i dont know why they state Maths or ICT, this is an exception in university admissions, as someone else said, GOOD universities will usually require Maths and/or Computing, Further Maths or Physics, ICT is NOT Computing and will hinder you very much if its your primary qualification that you are applying with.

In regards to the BTEC, I understand that you cant take both IT BTEC and ICT A level, but i would recommend doing the BTEC 100%, as a department at my previous college the BTEC IT and A level Computing classes used to have joint programming workshops and the BTEC is taught to a really good standard and they actually got to learn an extra programming language also they learnt really important Software Engineering practices - it is a really good qualification, the A level ICT does not do any programming and the above poster is correct they basically just make spreadsheets and databases as well as doing some business stuff - it is not Computing, however if you take it aswell as Computing then that isnt a bad idea.

if you are set on doing a BTEC, it has to really be the IT one, BTEC Business and ICT A level is not strong enough to get you onto a decent Computer Science degree, If you want to take the A level in ICT you NEED to combine that with A level Maths, Physics or Computing, alternatively take the BTEC Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels) in IT or the BTEC Diploma (worth 2 A levels) in IT with A level Mathematics
Hhhhss
Rep:
?
(Original post by CompSci1101)
Dont take ICT A level if you want to do Computer Science at uni, its so bad and is not respected

What are your other A level choices? I am a Computer Science student and I took Computing (A*) Electronics (A*) Use of Mathematics (A*) and Statistics (A) as my
IA levels.

ICT A level will not meet requirements for top unis, Queen Mary is a good university but i dont know why they state Maths or ICT, this is an exception in university admissions, as someone else said, GOOD universities will usually require Maths and/or Computing, Further Maths or Physics, ICT is NOT Computing and will hinder you very much if its your primary qualification that you are applying with.

In regards to the BTEC, I understand that you cant take both IT BTEC and ICT A level, but i would recommend doing the BTEC 100%, as a department at my previous college the BTEC IT and A level Computing classes used to have joint programming workshops and the BTEC is taught to a really good standard and they actually got to learn an extra programming language also they learnt really important Software Engineering practices - it is a really good qualification, the A level ICT does not do any programming and the above poster is correct they basically just make spreadsheets and databases as well as doing some business stuff - it is not Computing, however if you take it aswell as Computing then that isnt a bad idea.

if you are set on doing a BTEC, it has to really be the IT one, BTEC Business and ICT A level is not strong enough to get you onto a decent Computer Science degree, If you want to take the A level in ICT you NEED to combine that with A level Maths, Physics or Computing, alternatively take the BTEC Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels) in IT or the BTEC Diploma (worth 2 A levels) in IT with A level Mathematics
By all the response I don't think a level icy is good enough so I will try and get my Btec changed to it. Thank you very much this helped a lot with my university application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (519)
33.7%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.32%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.55%

Watched Threads