Turn on thread page Beta

Yr First Car watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im gonna be 17 in a month....i already know how to drive so i want to get a car straight away

Whats a pretty decent car to get which isnt that expensive

O yeah what is this with insurance being expensive for decent cars, cant you just buy the car in your parents name, and do a 3rd party insurance thingy

ReputationRep:
    You can be co-licensee with your parents (or somebody with 5? years experience I think) but this has the effect of bumping up the premium. Especially if you are a 17yr old male driver - who according to the insurers and statistics - can't be trusted for sh*t with a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaney87)
    Im gonna be 17 in a month....i already know how to drive so i want to get a car straight away

O yeah what is this with insurance being expensive for decent cars, cant you just buy the car in your parents name, and do a 3rd party insurance thingy
    you can be covered under your parents name but if the insurance company decide that you were actually the main driver they may not cover you (if you have an accident, like).

i dont think companies to 3rd party only for young drivers.

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately, it's probable that you don't know how to drive to test standard just yet seeing as it has been illegal for you to drive all your life, and so you don't have any experience of driving to standard.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

does anyone have a smart care?
    like to tell me about it...and how much would a second one be roughly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    you can be covered under your parents name but if the insurance company decide that you were actually the main driver they may not cover you (if you have an accident, like).

i dont think companies to 3rd party only for young drivers.
    the company cant decide whether you were the main driver. for all they know this could be the first time youve driven the car

ReputationRep:
    if your male i definatley wouldn't get one but if your female its ok.

ReputationRep:
    Actually mate i had driving lessons every day last summer in greece, so i more or less know the basics, and a few more hours will fix me up.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

does anyone have a smart care?
    like to tell me about it...and how much would a second one be roughly

i have one, its lovely.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Actually mate i had driving lessons every day last summer in greece, so i more or less know the basics, and a few more hours will fix me up.
    greece is not england.

ReputationRep:
    It really does not matter where you learn to drive.

O yeah whats wrong with a smart for a boy? Ive heard they are really dangerous cars to drive, is this just a myth?

ReputationRep:
    Ive heard they are really dangerous cars to drive, is this just a myth?
    Where did you hear that? They're very strong cars (built by Mercedes incidentally) as they barely have a bonnet the cage of the car has to be very strong. Just make sure you don't get hit from behind, i've heard of a story of an exploding engine (don't know how true that is though)

ReputationRep:
    citreon saxo's are very safe cars, i manged to write one off (not my fault) and amazingly managed to walk away from it (considering the speed the other car was going etc. that was pretty suprising). got a lovely citreon c3 now and it is beautiful and so so nice to drive.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    [color=purple]citreon saxo's are very safe cars,lou xxx
    They certainly are not, check the Euro NCAP rating. I think the Saxo's got 3 stars out of 5 which is quite poor by today's standards. Euro NCAP.

ReputationRep:
    They are very safe as they are just a roll cage. If you get hit - u roll away safely!

As for learning in Greece, the biggest part of learning to drive is not how to get the car going, it's how to use the British roads, manouvres etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    They certainly are not, check the Euro NCAP rating. I think the Saxo's got 3 stars out of 5 which is quite poor by today's standards.
    that's just from my own experience (and trust me if you'd seen the accident you'd agree), it was much safer than the other 2 cars that were involved (a rover and a BMW) and it's got low insurance.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I have one of the unsafest cars u can get!

The Fiat Cinquecento!

It's always nice to know that if I crash I have a crumple zone - my legs.

ReputationRep:

the insurance will still be expensive, cars are put into differnet insurance groups, so the faster hte car/bigger the engine the higher the insurance group, the higher the insurance group the more expensive it is! although that varies a bit with no claims it's not that much. you'd be better getting it in your name and working up a no claims i think.

i'd say get a fiesta mk5, you can get a decent one for £3000 if you look hard enough. or maybe a clio or something. just shop around, ask friends what they've got and things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    that's just from my own experience

lou xxx
    I'm not doubting that, but the NCAP is the place to go if you want to see how cars fair in impact testing, and the Saxo is quite poor in their tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I'm not doubting that, but the NCAP is the place to go if you want to see how cars fair in impact testing, and the Saxo is quite poor in their tests.
    have you got a link to their website? i'm just curious to look at a few others *dammit louisa not the think to do after you've got a new car...*

lou xxx

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.