Would you recommend AQA English Literature?

Watch this thread
User2082079
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm highly interested in studying the course, but would like to hear of any personal experiences.

I'll be studying the following texts (for AS):

• A Streetcar Named Desire
• Frankenstein
• The Handmaid's Tale

Would you recommend the course? Alongside English Lit, what else did you study? How did you cope with the workload?
oswalds
Badges: 14
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tacitae)
I'm highly interested in studying the course, but would like to hear of any personal experiences.

I'll be studying the following texts (for AS):

• A Streetcar Named Desire
• Frankenstein
• The Handmaid's Tale

Would you recommend the course? Alongside English Lit, what else did you study? How did you cope with the workload?
I did AQA A English Literature, and will be carrying it on at A2, with an A at AS. I personally loved it.

For AS I did...

Birdsong
Journey's End
Blackadder Goes Forth
The Oxford Book of War Poetry

And at A2 I have started...

Othello
A View from the Bridge
And we get to pick the 3rd text, I'll most likely be doing The Picture of Dorian Gray.

If you enjoy reading, then you will find it easier than someone who doesn't as you have to read quite a lot outside of lessons, not just the set texts. You use the books you read outside of lessons as wider reading in your essays. You also get to look at critical interpretations of different texts, which is very interesting as well. You get to be independent as well, as the essays give you a chance to put across your own opinion and write about what you want to write about, and then read what you want to for the course outside of lessons, as opposed to being quite limited. I'd advise reading a lot outside of lessons, and keeping a log about what you read where you write down quotes from the books that you find useful or interested. Practice essays, and get used to the structure and way of writing through this. York Notes are amazing as well, and you can get them for all of the texts you are doing for the new specification. When you are doing poetry, you can also find analysis of poems online to add to your own notes. Alongside English Literature, I did History, Philosophy and Psychology, and I have dropped Psychology for A2. It is defiantly easier if you have a second essay subject.
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Go for it, I loved OCR English Lit :yy:
User2082079
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by oswalds)
I did AQA A English Literature, and will be carrying it on at A2, with an A at AS. I personally loved it.

For AS I did...

Birdsong
Journey's End
Blackadder Goes Forth
The Oxford Book of War Poetry

And at A2 I have started...

Othello
A View from the Bridge
And we get to pick the 3rd text, I'll most likely be doing The Picture of Dorian Gray.

If you enjoy reading, then you will find it easier than someone who doesn't as you have to read quite a lot outside of lessons, not just the set texts. You use the books you read outside of lessons as wider reading in your essays. You also get to look at critical interpretations of different texts, which is very interesting as well. You get to be independent as well, as the essays give you a chance to put across your own opinion and write about what you want to write about, and then read what you want to for the course outside of lessons, as opposed to being quite limited. I'd advise reading a lot outside of lessons, and keeping a log about what you read where you write down quotes from the books that you find useful or interested. Practice essays, and get used to the structure and way of writing through this. York Notes are amazing as well, and you can get them for all of the texts you are doing for the new specification. When you are doing poetry, you can also find analysis of poems online to add to your own notes. Alongside English Literature, I did History, Philosophy and Psychology, and I have dropped Psychology for A2. It is defiantly easier if you have a second essay subject.
That sounds great! What structure did you use to write your essays? Pulling off an A at AS isn't something that's easily done.

I really wish you the best with A2!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (25)
27.17%
As I expected (28)
30.43%
Harder (33)
35.87%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.52%

Watched Threads