Flyole5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello,

I'm a Norwegian student, and I will proabably be applying for the PPE course in the UK, to commence in 2016. I will be applying with the help from an organization called "Across the Pond". This limits my choices to the universities they cooperate with.

Amongst the universities, my current 5 choices is:
Manchester - PPE
Edinbrugh - Politics & Econ
York - PPE
Durham - PPE
Oxford - PPE

Other choices:
Exeter - PPE
Lancaster - PPE
Essex - PPE
Leeds - PPE
Newcastle - PPE
Sheffield - PPE
Kent - Politics & Econ

I haven't had the chance to visit any of the cities or universitites, but will probably visit after christmas for any post-offer visits or something similar. My choices are mainly based on university rankings, and whatever info I can find on TSR, or the rest of the internet for that matter. I would, however, appreciate it if someone could tell me about their experience or impression of any of the unis, either if you have visited or actually been a student at any of the mentioned universities...
iAmanze
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What you've picked are the best out of the universities you've listed.

Never be like those people who say they pick a university because they "like it there". Pick the best uni you have available to you if you want to go the furthest (career wise thus money wise).

I'd rank the ones you've picked (personally thus opinion):

Oxford, (v. great prospects)
Durham, (great prospects)
York, (good/decent prospects)
Manchester, (decent prospects)
Edinburgh. (decent prospects)
Flyole5
Rep:
?
(Original post by iAmanze)
What you've picked are the best out of the universities you've listed.

Never be like those people who say they pick a university because they "like it there". Pick the best uni you have available to you if you want to go the furthest (career wise thus money wise).

I'd rank the ones you've picked (personally thus opinion):

Oxford, (v. great prospects)
Durham, (great prospects)
York, (good/decent prospects)
Manchester, (decent prospects)
Edinburgh. (decent prospects)
Thank you for the input. I will definitely take your advice into account when deciding where I will be heading. Oxford is probably a long shot, but I regard the other unis as realistic. Your ranking matches the university rankings, but I have heard that the PPE course at York should be just above the course at Durham. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope both Durham and York will provide almost equal future prospects.
essexunistudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Flyole5)
Hello,

I'm a Norwegian student, and I will proabably be applying for the PPE course in the UK, to commence in 2016. I will be applying with the help from an organization called "Across the Pond". This limits my choices to the universities they cooperate with.

Manchester - PPE
York - PPE
Durham - PPE
Oxford - PPE

Other choices:
Exeter - PPE
Lancaster - PPE
Essex - PPE
Leeds - PPE
Newcastle - PPE
Sheffield - PPE
Kent - Politics & Econ

I haven't had the chance to visit any of the cities or universitites, but will probably visit after christmas for any post-offer visits or something similar. My choices are mainly based on university rankings, and whatever info I can find on TSR, or the rest of the internet for that matter. I would, however, appreciate it if someone could tell me about their experience or impression of any of the unis, either if you have visited or actually been a student at any of the mentioned universities...
Hello!

I am a current student at the University of Essex. I have just finished my law degree there and I chose Essex again for my postgraduate studies. I had the time of my life there and I would really recommend Essex as the first choice of your ''other'' choices!
Also I am not a UK student, I am from Europe and I can say that everyone was very polite and nice not only with me, but with every European or International student

^Andriana
Flyole5
Rep:
?
(Original post by essexunistudent;[url="tel:58900811")
58900811[/url]]Hello!

I am a current student at the University of Essex. I have just finished my law degree there and I chose Essex again for my postgraduate studies. I had the time of my life there and I would really recommend Essex as the first choice of your ''other'' choices!
Also I am not a UK student, I am from Europe and I can say that everyone was very polite and nice not only with me, but with every European or International student

^Andriana
Hello Andriana!

Thank for the reply and the informative answer. It sounds like you have enjoyed most of your time at Essex, and it is really reassuring to hear that from another EU/International. I will have another look at Essex!

I just wanted to ask you a question, regarding your choice of course. How will it be to return to your home country after you have finished your studies? I assume that you study a lot of British law, and that it won't be relevant in your country. Won't this affect your future job prospects, or how is this? I was considering law for a while, but decided it was not an option, because of the "handicap" I would have when moving back home..
essexunistudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello Andriana!

Thank for the reply and the informative answer. It sounds like you have enjoyed most of your time at Essex, and it is really reassuring to hear that from another EU/International. I will have another look at Essex!

I just wanted to ask you a question, regarding your choice of course. How will it be to return to your home country after you have finished your studies? I assume that you study a lot of British law, and that it won't be relevant in your country. Won't this affect your future job prospects, or how is this? I was considering law for a while, but decided it was not an option, because of the "handicap" I would have when moving back home..
Hi!
I am going into my third year at The University of Essex, I love how there is around 136 nationalities at the University and would recommend the amazing cultural experiences I've had here from Malaysian Night to Chinese New Year. I would recommend reading this to find out more http://www.essex.ac.uk/international/why.aspx and you will see that it says "91.9 per cent of our international graduates were in employment or further study within six months (DLHE survey 2012)" I hope this reassures you about employment after graduation and please feel free to ask any other questions you may have
^Sharmila
andriana16
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello Andriana!

Hello again!

That's indeed a very important question.
My country's law system is based on the English one, and that was another reason for me to choose to study law in Essex. So that makes me able to work either in England or to come back to my country as a lawyer. However, before starting working, all the students who have finished a law degree in any country, are obliged to attend classes (or watch them online) and sit examinations, especially designed for the scope. In total, there are 10 subjects and you have to pass 7 of them, otherwise you will sit the examination from the beginning. You are given the choice to be examined on the 3 remained subjects later

I am not quite sure how this works in Norway, but I have heard some students coming from Norway to Essex to study law, so why not? Of course the choice is yours!

Hope that helps!

^Andriana
Whocares1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello,

Manchester - PPE
York - PPE
Durham - PPE
Oxford - PPE

Other choices:
Exeter - PPE
Lancaster - PPE
Essex - PPE
Leeds - PPE
Newcastle - PPE
Sheffield - PPE
Kent - Politics & Econ

What about LSE?
Flyole5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Whocares1)
What about LSE?
I have considered LSE, but the problem is London. I currently live in i town with 40'000 people. I don't enjoy going to Oslo for more than a couple of hours, before I am exhausted because of the size, rush and people. Therefore I am considering dropping Manchester, as it will be too big. Edinburgh on the other hand is just on the right side, not too big.
fastturtleneck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello!
Sorry Im a bit late. But I am also an international student applying for PPEs in UK for 2017 entry. I am considering some of the places you listed as well and seeking advice for how i should choose the unis. So where are you going at last?

Jules
Flyole5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by fastturtleneck)
Hello!
Sorry Im a bit late. But I am also an international student applying for PPEs in UK for 2017 entry. I am considering some of the places you listed as well and seeking advice for how i should choose the unis. So where are you going at last?

Jules
I actually had to postpone my entry because I was called in for compulsory military duty in the Norwegian Air Force. It´s not a crisis, but it means I will have to apply for the 2017 entry myself. I actually decided to go for Durham, after visiting four of the universities in the spring. Not sure I will choose them for 2017, as I will change a few of the universities this year.

I am currently considering:
- Durham
- Manchester
- York
- Warwick
- King's College
- UCL

How about you? Have you decided on which 5 you will have in your application?
fastturtleneck
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I haven't narrowed it down to 5 choices and I've also been considering other programmes. So it's like this:
1. Edinburgh Politics economics and social history (my cousin studies there and it's great but downside is their politics is not the greatest)
2. Durham PPE (very math-oriented economics but high ranking PPE overall)
3. Kings PPE(great but located in London which I'm not sure about)
4. York PPE (likely to get in)
5. Manchester PPE or Durham liberal arts

I don't think I'll have a chance to visit these unis before applying and so far I've only been to Edinburgh, but I'll keep u up to date after I finalize the choices and if I receive offers. Cheers 😊

Jules
Hong Kong
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
General advice about PPE here (focussed on Oxford but its worth reading) : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/PPE_at_Oxford

Most important thing to realise is that the course will be very different at each Uni, depending on staff interests/strengths, research groups etc, so make sure you check what optional units are available and think about what you would actually choose if you went there.

Also, think about a) geography and b) cost. Northern England (Durham, York etc) is colder, further from London but cheaper. What sort of 'Student Experience' do you want? Big expanse of London or Manchester - or smaller historic town like Durham or York? Or, would you prefer to be by the seaside and still within easy reach of London (Sussex)? Finally, are you interested in only 1 or 2 of the 3 subjects - would a degree in just Politics, or a combo of 2 subjects like Economics and Politics , or even Politics and Law suit you better?
Flyole5
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
General advice about PPE here (focussed on Oxford but its worth reading) : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/PPE_at_Oxford

Most important thing to realise is that the course will be very different at each Uni, depending on staff interests/strengths, research groups etc, so make sure you check what optional units are available and think about what you would actually choose if you went there.

Also, think about a) geography and b) cost. Northern England (Durham, York etc) is colder, further from London but cheaper. What sort of 'Student Experience' do you want? Big expanse of London or Manchester - or smaller historic town like Durham or York? Or, would you prefer to be by the seaside and still within easy reach of London (Sussex)? Finally, are you interested in only 1 or 2 of the 3 subjects - would a degree in just Politics, or a combo of 2 subjects like Economics and Politics , or even Politics and Law suit you better?
Great response! Another thing which bothers me is the job prospects after the PPE degree. I'm not familiar with all the types of jobs you can get, and as an international student this is somewhat important. I really do prefer Manchester, and it's a city I have visited many times, but their ratings are really poor compared to the other options I have... I don't know if would be willing to stay and work in UK after graduation, or if I wan't to move back home. Durham is much more renowned in the UK, than in the rest of Europa, while Manchester has an opposite thing going for them. This is a real dilemma...
fastturtleneck
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)

True. Thanks for your imformative response! Coming from a hustle and bustle kind of city, I would prefer smaller towns, and I've heard of the expensive costs of living in London. Still, I think this consideration should come after the actual studying part of the uni, at least to me. If I were to choose between York and Kings I'd choose Kings within a heartbeat, due to their academic strengths and greater reputation. So gerography is not really the utmost important factor to me. Thanks for your suggestion though.

However, I am really concerned about the subjects weights and teaching style of the universities. I already know I enjoy politics more than economics, and I really hope i would have a chance to alter the subject proportions in year 2 onwards. Also, the teaching and learning style is important too. There are schools with more lecture than tutorials, and different amount of workload. I heard that in Durham and York the economics is really math-oriented. Have any of you had a chance to talked to professors of the faculty and see what their module is like? I am really curious.

I know someone who studies PPL (politics philosophy and law) in Kings. Sounds really awesome but their workload is crazy so..
Ajzach
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is quite strange that you're not including Warwick in your first Uni list. From what I've heard is is the best 3-years course excluding Oxford and prospects seem to far better than in, let's say, Manchester! There is a home-made league table from one of the TSR users:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3553705
Flyole5
Rep:
?
I see your point Ajzach! Had you read the entire post, you would have discovered that my options was limited, due to getting help from an agency. I can definitely agree with the fact that Warwick would be a better choice then many of mentioned universities. They rank high in the UK, but on international rankings Manchester is better. This is important for an international student as me, becuase I may travel back home after graduation. I would guess that an emplyer would read an international ranking, rather then a british ranking. They probably don't care that much anyway.
Ajzach
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a matter of fact, I am an international student preparing for PPE also ( EU exactly, so finances may be different). Of course, If any agency are willing to fund your studies, it's an fantastic option even when you have to stick to certain Institution. However, I discover that relying on rankings isn't most reliable option when deciding about uni, QS and Shanghai for example differ very much. You should take into account that there are universities witch certain specialities that can higher its position withing a ranking. PPE is such "speciality" degree on Warwick, York, Durkham, Oxford, not on Manchester though. Even, when your employer won't know about position of particular uni in rankings, isn't it quality of teaching that matters?
Flyole5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ajzach)
As a matter of fact, I am an international student preparing for PPE also ( EU exactly, so finances may be different). Of course, If any agency are willing to fund your studies, it's an fantastic option even when you have to stick to certain Institution. However, I discover that relying on rankings isn't most reliable option when deciding about uni, QS and Shanghai for example differ very much. You should take into account that there are universities witch certain specialities that can higher its position withing a ranking. PPE is such "speciality" degree on Warwick, York, Durkham, Oxford, not on Manchester though. Even, when your employer won't know about position of particular uni in rankings, isn't it quality of teaching that matters?
I agree with you in all ways. Rankings should not be used as a guideline when choosing a uni, but rather as a reference once decided. However I find it difficult to figure out which unis offering the best teaching and best quality, without looking at any rankings. I have decided to apply without any help of an agency this year, and therefore I got a whole range of universities to chose from compared to last year. You can look at the website of any given university, and they all comment on their excellent quality. I can consider unis by course structures, and modules, but thas has no obvious correlation to their relative quality. Maybe you could elaborate around how you move forward when choosing your preferred unis
Ajzach
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I should clarify that I use rankings as well. It isn't, however black-white comparison. As it comes to my evaluating of different possibilities:

Oxford is second to none when it comes to prospects and quality, It is on the other hand different and more demanding than the rest. You have to take TSA test and interview, which are far more important than grades ( these required to be top nonetheless) or Personal Statement. As I haven't had an occasion to use my English much, I don't apply there because of language.

LSE looks like second best option. However, there are some negative factors. PPE at LSE is 4-year long, which for me is just too much. It is in one of the most expensive places in Europe, and you have to stick to all of PPE disciplines throughout your course. Similarly with UCL; it is expensive and very stiff; you have to stick to their moulds; Eco+Pol or Pol+Phil. It's actually very funny for me that you are forbidden to study philosophy and economics, combination that I would go for.

And here we come to Warwick and Durkham, which are still very renowned courses at respected Uni's. They're however pretty different. Durkham is located in historical city and Warwick is just concrete. Warwick is top in Economics and good in politics. Durkham isn't top in any of PPE disciplines, It is still better in philosophy than Warwick. Furthermore, Warwick seems to be one of the best Uni's in the UK in terms of employability (It think it has something to do with its excellence in maths and economics).

I've also considered York, as it's the oldest PPE after the Oxford's one. It is good, however nothing remarkable,arguably worse than collegiate Durkham or "economical" Warwick. And there is the rest: Manchester, Essex, Exeter etc.
I think that the grades expected at particular Universities could stand as decent indicator of quality. ( I would go for "AAA" Unis, and those with stars of course). I've have also looked on average salaries- these are factors visible in league table posted by joe*s.

Link once again: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3553705
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed