_jarv_
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to take it. But still, why does it even exist? I ask this because A-Level Astronomy doesn't exist... so why the GCSE?

Surely it should be the other way round (ie - the A-Level should exist and the GCSE not).
drapplepilot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by _jarv_)
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to take it. But still, why does it even exist? I ask this because A-Level Astronomy doesn't exist... so why the GCSE?

Surely it should be the other way round (ie - the A-Level should exist and the GCSE not).
That's what I first thought. I'm starting yr11 next year and last year, 10 people got to do it in year 10. It wasn't in our options or we didn't get offered to do it. I would have loved to do it but teachers favour the students in their hall (we have halls in our school).
I'm annoyed.
Vanilla Poison
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Astronomy does exist, in Physics....
_jarv_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vanilla Poison)
Astronomy does exist, in Physics....
But you would have to deal with the rest of the non-Astronomy side of Physics too, as opposed to just pure Astronomy, like the GCSE offers. So I am wondering why the GCSE exists and not A-Level.

And to be honest... I dislike most of Physics, but I love the Astronomy side of it.
KingAuthor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly, if astronomy were in my options 2 yrs ago, I'd take it.
WannabeDoctor98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Non of the 15ish schools in my area offer it? Honestly I'd never heard you could do astronomy, sounds cool though

Posted from TSR Mobile
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
It doesn't exist as an option in most schools. In my school one of the physics teachers ran an after school astronomy club in which we'd cover the materials. Not really an effective way to teach but that's just how it is. Just a fun GCSE for you to do in your own time.
_jarv_
Rep:
?
Yeah it's rare, but the point is, it still exists, whereas A-Level doesn't.
Joey98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Its gives some students who are particularly goods at science to give them an extra advantage when applying for a scientific job or university.
_jarv_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joey98)
Its gives some students who are particularly goods at science to give them an extra advantage when applying for a scientific job or university.
Which once again raises the question - why doesn't the A-Level exist?
Joey98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which once again raises the question - why doesn't the A-Level exist?
To give some students an extra opportunity and a extra qualification to pursue a physics related career.
Mpagtches
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I asked one of the examiners this and he said that the GCSE naturally leads on to degrees in the field, provided the student takes A Level physics.
I.e. there just isn't a place for an A Level in astronomy.
Make of this what you will.
_jarv_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joey98)
To give some students an extra opportunity and a extra qualification to pursue a physics related career.
But surely an A-Level in it would be more useful for that?
_jarv_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mpagtches)
I asked one of the examiners this and he said that the GCSE naturally leads on to degrees in the field, provided the student takes A Level physics.
I.e. there just isn't a place for an A Level in astronomy.
Make of this what you will.
I still find it odd. I bet many people would love to take A-Level Astronomy, but never A-Level Physics (myself included).
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I still find it odd. I bet many people would love to take A-Level Astronomy, but never A-Level Physics (myself included).
I also wish A Level Astronomy existed, it would've gone nicely with my other A Levels
judogainz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
for the white knights bruh
judogainz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why does art exist?
_jarv_
Rep:
?
(Original post by judogainz)
why does art exist?
That's different though, I'm only asking why GCSE Astronomy exists purely because it's A-Level doesn't. If both existed, I wouldn't be asking this question.
Mpagtches
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by judogainz)
why does art exist?
For yellow, stripy and multi-coloured knights.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
good question

I'd assumed it had started out as something to do alongside physics A level

and having looked at the spec doucument this is listed as a purpose of the qualification

it contributes to the post-16 curriculum, especially if studied alongside GCE Physics or in the
context of adult education.
I suspect it's paying it's way largely via adult education, there seems to be a lot of places teaching it as evening classes targetted at adult learners.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (61)
18.77%
Labour (159)
48.92%
Liberal Democrats (46)
14.15%
Green Party (20)
6.15%
Brexit Party (4)
1.23%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.92%
SNP (7)
2.15%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.62%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.23%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)