The Student Room Group

I require assistance with my subjects

Greetings and salutations,

I've recently enrolled into three A-levels, Law, finance, and Philosophy. I would like to know if these options are in particular any good, and what career paths can I persuade with such subjects.
Would it be a better option for me to change philosophy for government and politics, if so how will this be benefitial to me.

Thank you, in advance.

(SIDENOTE; DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WASTE TIME! I had previously wanted to get into medicine, however with C's in my sciences, I am unable to do so, that said I would like to resit most of my GCSE's to push them to A*'s, how may I do this? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you once again!)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

You have one weak subject - Finance - and one that isnt rated very highly, even for Law degrees - Law. Think carefully - would you be better doing a more robust academic subject like Politics or English, or if you prefer vocational subjects, an 'applied' qualification like a BTEC?

Ultimately, your choice depends on what YOU enjoy and what YOU want to do with your life. Remember that you do not have to rush to Uni straight from school - so take some time to think out what you actually enjoy and the sort of area you want to work in.

How to Choose A Levels subjects : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects
How to Choose a Uni Subject : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Help_choosing_a_subject
Reply 3
Original post by Aghareza

I've recently enrolled into three A-levels, Law, finance, and Philosophy. I would like to know if these options are in particular any good, and what career paths can I persuade with such subjects.
Would it be a better option for me to change philosophy for government and politics, if so how will this be benefitial to me.

Thank you, in advance.

(SIDENOTE; DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WASTE TIME! I had previously wanted to get into medicine, however with C's in my sciences, I am unable to do so, that said I would like to resit most of my GCSE's to push them to A*'s, how may I do this? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you once again!)

I agree with what @returnmigrant said, just wanted to add one more thing. Aside from English Language and Maths (In the case you got worse than Cs in them) I think it's a waste of time to resit GCSEs. Your A Levels are far more important in your application, instead of focusing on a bunch of GCSE retakes, spending that time revising for A Levels is much better I think
Reply 4
[QUOTE=Azarashi;58921769]I agree with what @returnmigrant said, just wanted to add one more thing. Aside from English Language and Maths (In the case you got worse than Cs in them) I think it's a waste of time to resit GCSEs. Your A Levels are far more important in your application, instead of focusing on a bunch of GCSE retakes, spending that time revising for A Levels is much better I think

Thank you for your advice. For A-levels, I have decided to choose Chemistry, physics, biology, and maths.
Reply 5
[QUOTE=TSR Jessica;58920959]Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Thank you! That's truly kind of you. I've decided to do the three sciences and a math for A-level.
Reply 6
[QUOTE=returnmigrant;58921669]You have one weak subject - Finance - and one that isnt rated very highly, even for Law degrees - Law. Think carefully - would you be better doing a more robust academic subject like Politics or English, or if you prefer vocational subjects, an 'applied' qualification like a BTEC?

Ultimately, your choice depends on what YOU enjoy and what YOU want to do with your life. Remember that you do not have to rush to Uni straight from school - so take some time to think out what you actually enjoy and the sort of area you want to work in.

How to Choose A Levels subjects : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects
How to Choose a Uni Subject : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Help_choosing_a_subject

Thank you! I am grateful for such indepht answer. I will invest more time researching what uni's want. I will also pick atleast two academic A-levels.
Reply 7
Thank you for your advice. For A-levels, I have decided to choose Chemistry, physics, biology, and maths.

I just finished with my AS in those 4 subjects actually, if you need advice or help I would be happy to try my best :smile:
Those are definitely great subjects that give you plenty of choices for uni, but make sure you like them since they are tough x3
Reply 8
Original post by Azarashi
I just finished with my AS in those 4 subjects actually, if you need advice or help I would be happy to try my best :smile:
Those are definitely great subjects that give you plenty of choices for uni, but make sure you like them since they are tough x3

I do, they're great subjects, and very intriguing if one get's in-depth with it. I definetly have a vast interest in them, specially chemistry, and biology; physics, and math, may not be enjoyable, however they have great outcomes. Thank you for your help, and I will definetly bother you when it comes near exam time. :smile:

Thank you, in advance.

Try and get a facilitating subject, preferably 2.

Other ones which are good include RS, Economics, Gov Pol.

Drop Law and accounting.

Thank you, in advance.

WEAK :colonhash:
Reply 11
Original post by judogainz
WEAK :colonhash:

I did get C's in my triple sciences, however they're looking past it my English and Maths were quite strong. If I can prove my self through the A-level's I may have a chance at medicine.
Reply 12
Original post by Big Blue Machine
Try and get a facilitating subject, preferably 2.

Other ones which are good include RS, Economics, Gov Pol.

Drop Law and accounting.

Thank you for the suggestion; however, I have made up my mind, I am going with the three sciences, and a math.
Thank you for the suggestion; however, I have made up my mind, I am going with the three sciences, and a math.

Wow BIG change in your subjects! As long as you enjoy them
Reply 14
Original post by Big Blue Machine
Wow BIG change in your subjects! As long as you enjoy them

Yes, I've concluded that if I worked hard at my A-levels, and get extraordinary
grades, I will be able to proceed into a medical school nicely.

Quick Reply

Latest