Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I got a B in my year 10 gcse english literature mock, and now I dont know what to do in order to get an A* in the real gcse....I -did- revise....what else can i do? I'm going to be tested on war poetry, D.H. Lawrence short stories, and Educating Rita....can anyone help??? I'm desperate!!!
    Also, I will have to sit the 6th form scholarship exam in october, which is v. soon, and i still dont know what i can do....It's going to be in science, maths, and english....none of my teachers will tell me what i need to revise...they say it's too soon....but when i will come back from the hols, it will leave me with exactly 1 month!
    So do any of you know what we're supposed to know for average (private) 6th form scholarship exams? I realllllly need the scholarship!!!!
    Thanks in advance ))
    Kate
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    All of your exam pieces should have feedback on them, this is a requirement of the boards for your coursework, and so your teachers should be giving feedback as a routine (both positive and negative).

Ask your staff what more they can do, and also as them who got higher grades, start with some pieces that got an A, and find what the major differences are in their styles.

Alot is to do with the way in which evidence is presented.

Make a comment,
    Prove it,
    Interpret

MOVE ON. (the Tick Plus Tick system).

Originally posted by Expression
    [B start with some pieces that got an A, and find what the major differences are in their styles.Alot is to do with the way in which evidence is presented.[/B]
    i agree 100%. it is unbelievably helpful to read A or A* piece of work to get an idea of what examiners want. for english there is not much revision that is required, the main thing is indeed developing your style so that you can write in an impressive, concise and accurate manner. try broadening your vocabulary especially in the "required english terms". eg whenever you can use words like - alliterative,portrays, alludes to, conveys, assonance, oxymoron... those terms are really important as they show your understanding of the english language.

Thanks for the advice, but is there anything I can do over the summer holidays???
    And what about 6th form scholarships???????
    Thanks...

50 People have viewed this so far, and only 2 have relpied?! Pleaseeeee help me, this is sooo important!PLEASEEEEEE
    Kate
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    sorry, but im a scientist, if u register u can personal message ppl who do english and ask them

ReputationRep:
    What are the schlorship exams for? To get a scholarship with a private school? I have never heard of these type of exams before.

For your G.C.S.E's you could check out the specifications for the subjects you are taking by downloading them from your examing board's websites. They provide a good framework for what you need to know and revise.

These are often useful for scientific subjects, but they might be a bit vague for english but they're still worth checking out.

Anyway, just try your best and if you don't succeed with your scholarship exams you can always go to the local sixth form college. They may be less prestigious, but at the end of the day, everyone studys for the same exams and those that achieve the best grades (either state shool or private school) have earned the most merit.

(Original post by girl_needs_help)
    Hi, I got a B in my year 10 gcse english literature mock, and now I dont know what to do in order to get an A* in the real gcse....I -did- revise....what else can i do? I'm going to be tested on war poetry, D.H. Lawrence short stories, and Educating Rita....can anyone help??? I'm desperate!!!
    Also, I will have to sit the 6th form scholarship exam in october, which is v. soon, and i still dont know what i can do....It's going to be in science, maths, and english....none of my teachers will tell me what i need to revise...they say it's too soon....but when i will come back from the hols, it will leave me with exactly 1 month!
    So do any of you know what we're supposed to know for average (private) 6th form scholarship exams? I realllllly need the scholarship!!!!
    Thanks in advance ))
    Kate
    xxx
    Try RIC: www.rochester-college.org

ReputationRep:
    if it is for a private school scholarship you can usually phone the school and ask for some practice papers! Good Luck, and by the way what school is this scholarship for?

Love Sophie xxx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2003
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.