The Student Room Group

Why is GCSE Maths dropping graphs?

I don't understand why frequency polygons, stem and leaf diagrams and frequency diagrams won't feature in the new GCSE Maths exams from 2017. I used to like the first page where I could easily gain a few marks on graphs.
Original post by danielwinstanley
I don't understand why frequency polygons, stem and leaf diagrams and frequency diagrams won't feature in the new GCSE Maths exams from 2017. I used to like the first page where I could easily gain a few marks on graphs.

You know the answer. They are considered to be too easy.
Original post by Mr M
You know the answer. They are considered to be too easy.

But when you open the paper and see these sorts of questions, it fills you with confidence with the paper instead of struggling from question 1.
Reply 3
But when you open the paper and see these sorts of questions, it fills you with confidence with the paper instead of struggling from question 1.

You would have even more confidence if you were comfortable with the 'proper' areas of Maths that were being tested :smile:

Employers etc need a qualification that gives them some confidence that the holder of that qualification possesses some mathematical skills, rather than someone who can get free marks for the ability to recognize different types of graph from a long way away.
Original post by davros
You would have even more confidence if you were comfortable with the 'proper' areas of Maths that were being tested :smile:

Employers etc need a qualification that gives them some confidence that the holder of that qualification possesses some mathematical skills, rather than someone who can get free marks for the ability to recognize different types of graph from a long way away.

But the test does get harder.

They don't exactly test your mathematical abilities. :biggrin:
If only they could remove the harder things.
Reply 7
Original post by Just_Another_One
If only they could remove the harder things.

They did that when they created GCSEs :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest