WannabeDoctor98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am doing chemistry, biology, psychology and geography at AS when I go back and I really want to start of with good habits- does anyone have any advice or warnings of where they messed up I can learn from? Also I've heard chemistry is extremely difficult is this true?Really appreciate it ☺️
Solent Uni Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WannabeDoctor98)
I am doing chemistry, biology, psychology and geography at AS when I go back and I really want to start of with good habits- does anyone have any advice or warnings of where they messed up I can learn from? Also I've heard chemistry is extremely difficult is this true?Really appreciate it ☺️
Hi there,

I've heard that Chemistry is a difficult subject - but it completely depends on how much you get on with the subject, your teachers and how well your class is.

My advice would be learn the mark schemes off my heart during A level, it tends to be where a lot of people fall down - GCSE tested your knowledge but then A level tests your knowledge and your exam technique.

I hope this helps and good luck!
- Kath .
LearnOnline
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

Chemistry is a big jump up from GCSE, bot not impossible

Get the course spec from the Awarding Body at the start of the course and read and understand what it is that you need to know. Many courses are new for 2015 so the course text book should match the specification perfectly - making it easy to revise and find the topics you need

Start revising from the first week of the course and you should be ok, even if you spend 30 minutes re reading the topic you have covered that week and then attempt some of the questions in the text book, it will really help you

Good Luck with your studies

Matt
LeFailFish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The main piece of advice is work hard. It seems really obvious, but so many people get distracted or procrastinate or think because they did well at GCSE without revising or focusing they can do that at A level. A few very, very lucky people can. Most can't, so work hard from the start and make sure you ask as soon as you don't understand something.

The second is don't make schoolwork your life. You'll burn out with stress and exam anxiety. Make sure you have a balance with a social life and things you enjoy to - like a sport or computer gaming or whatever floats your boat.

Thirdly, when you revise print off the specification for every subject. Look over everything and use a traffic light system for how much you understand each topic. Spend most of your time revising the bits you red light until you're confident enough to green light them. By the time your exams come around, you should understand everything at green light level.

Make sure you do all the past papers, but don't start them too early or you'll run out before you get to the exams! Make a past paper and revision schedule and try to stick to it. Remember to schedule in breaks too!

Finally, find out how you revise best, For some people it's note taking, for others it's watching videos, for others it's flashcards. Use whatever method suits you best, not the mthod that you think you 'ought' to use. (Teachers always say use mind maps, or at least mine did. I hate mind maps. Don't make mind maps if you can't revise from them, it's a waste of time).

I did Chemistry - and yes, it's hard. But it's not too hard if you work, focus and have some kind of natural aptitude (which is shown if you got a decent GCSE grade in it). All A levels are hard in their own way! But if you've got a good work ethic and you don't get too stressed out, you should be fine.

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (152)
18.77%
Labour (347)
42.84%
Liberal Democrats (161)
19.88%
Green Party (45)
5.56%
Brexit Party (21)
2.59%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.37%
SNP (11)
1.36%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.74%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.12%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.12%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)