Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find that the review exercises in the Heinemann P3 book aren't really that helpful? Out of the 80 questions in each one i've found only a few that are of a similar style/difficulty to the past paper questions. They're either really easy, more similar to the exercise questions; or are very long and involved.

I've done every past paper question and understood all of them but i'm still stumped by far too many review exercise questions which does no good for my confidence.

Has anyone done the solomon papers? I'll try those if people find they're useful, the review exercises don't seem to be helping that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoidberg)
    Does anyone else find that the review exercises in the Heinemann P3 book aren't really that helpful? Out of the 80 questions in each one i've found only a few that are of a similar style/difficulty to the past paper questions. They're either really easy, more similar to the exercise questions; or are very long and involved.

I've done every past paper question and understood all of them but i'm still stumped by far too many review exercise questions which does no good for my confidence.

Has anyone done the solomon papers? I'll try those if people find they're useful, the review exercises don't seem to be helping that much.
    thats because the questions are also taken from the old exam specs (pre 2000)

ReputationRep:
    I thought so, the solomon papers looks quite similar- i'll probably just do those instead of wasting time on the review exercises.

ReputationRep:
    I thought so, the solomon papers looks quite similar- i'll probably just do those instead of wasting time on the review exercises.
    Try them all! the more qu u do the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntegralAnomaly)
    Try them all! the more qu u do the better.
    Ideally yes but i'm lazy and leave things too late. :rolleyes: I think its probably more useful to do exam style questions that are do-able rather than being stuck for ages on types of questions that probably won't come up :] I mean i've done about 20-30 of each review exercise but I dont think theyre helping.

I take it everyone else finds that they do actually help?

ReputationRep:
    Ideally yes but i'm lazy and leave things too late. :rolleyes: I think its probably more useful to do exam style questions that are do-able rather than being stuck for ages on types of questions that probably won't come up :] I mean i've done about 20-30 of each review exercise but I dont think theyre helping.

I take it everyone else finds that they do actually help?
    I find the the review ex questions are my 1st best source for practice.

ReputationRep:
    surely past edexcel exam papers would be 1st choice, each to their own i guess. I prefer to have the model solutions on the mark schemes rather than the 'back of the book' answers.

ReputationRep:
    surely past edexcel exam papers would be 1st choice, each to their own i guess. I prefer to have the model solutions on the mark schemes rather than the 'back of the book' answers.
    but the review ex questions are past exam qu's(the E ones)

ReputationRep:
    right. like you said theyre the pre 2000 ones though, kinda explains why some of them seem a little random.

has anyone done the solomon papers? are they easier than the edexcel ones?

ReputationRep:
    right. like you said theyre the pre 2000 ones though, kinda explains why some of them seem a little random.

has anyone done the solomon papers? are they easier than the edexcel ones?
    Not all of them are pre 2000 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntegralAnomaly)
    Not all of them are pre 2000 though.
    roger!!!111111

ReputationRep:
    I've done pretty much all 160. It has really sped up my work.

MB

ReputationRep:
    i dunno from you guys
    i know ive grown from a newbie to an expert (not meaning to brag) after i finished all of the review exercise
    theres this certain urge that pulls you to do it..

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.