The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Can I study medicine at queens with these GCSE results?

Hi, so the goal is to study medicine at queens. I'm aware of the As level and A2 level requirements and I have chosen my subjects according to these as I start my As levels this year.
I recently received my GCSE grades, and I've heard that these have an impact on whether you get into queens or not.
I got 4A*'s and 6 A's, are these good enough GCSE results to make the cut for medicine at queens?
Original post by PMcglinchey
Hi, so the goal is to study medicine at queens. I'm aware of the As level and A2 level requirements and I have chosen my subjects according to these as I start my As levels this year.
I recently received my GCSE grades, and I've heard that these have an impact on whether you get into queens or not.
I got 4A*'s and 6 A's, are these good enough GCSE results to make the cut for medicine at queens?

Hello. So the way QUB uses GCSEs is it scores the best nine GCSEs giving each A* four points and each A 2 points, out of a maximum of 36. So you would have 26/36 based on those GCSEs.

Then your UKCAT score is given a score out of 6 and the two scores are combined to give a total score out of 42 and a cut-off is calculated to decide who to invite for interview.

While there is a chance that the cut-off could be lower it usually tends to be higher than 35/42 so, while there's no harm in applying to Queen's, you should also apply to some less GCSE-heavy universities. Hope this helped. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending