The Student Room Group

C4 Vectors

Hi all,

I am currently leaning about vectors in C4, and have gained a reasonable understanding of them. However, question 8 in the Edexcel Student Book I am struggling with.

I have attached photographs of the question and the diagram drawn out with the added information about the vectors.

In part b of the question it asks for the vector OF. I am stuck because there is no vector a,b, c etc... for the line AB, just a ratio. I can see no vector to relate this line to. For example vector OE is 1/3a and that is easy because I have vector 'a' to work with.

Can someone help please?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tygra
Hi all,

I am currently leaning about vectors in C4, and have gained a reasonable understanding of them. However, question 8 in the Edexcel Student Book I am struggling with.

I have attached photographs of the question and the diagram drawn out with the added information about the vectors.

In part b of the question it asks for the vector OF. I am stuck because there is no vector a,b, c etc... for the line AB, just a ratio. I can see no vector to relate this line to. For example vector OE is 1/3a and that is easy because I have vector 'a' to work with.

Can someone help please?

Think about one of the ratios you're given in the question, and how you can use it.
Reply 2
Original post by Tygra
Hi all,

Can someone help please?

Well it can be helpful to firstly write out OF as vectors. So OF=OB + BF
and BF= 1/4 BA OR -1/4AB
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by B_9710
...full solution...

Please don't post full solutions - it's against the rules.

It's always more beneficial to hint/guide towards a solution.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Oh I didn't know
Reply 5
Original post by B_9710
Oh I didn't know

No problem - a lot of new members don't realise :smile:

And thank you for editing your post.

Quick Reply

Latest