Uni accom deposit refund - dispute charges? Watch

no-fat-chicks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

So I've finally graduated from university and have just received a letter regarding the return of my uni accommodation deposit but have been charged £45 for "carpet cleaning"?

Do you think I should dispute the charge as I cleaned everything in my room to the best of my ability. I mean specifically the carpet, the carpet was one of those hard ones where it's difficult to actually vacuum any bits and the hoover they provided wasn't very good so do you think that's good enough reason to dispute it?

or should I just not bother and take the hit? £45 is expensive for a carpet clean? it was a small room and I've personally had a carpet cleaned before for about the £20 mark.
Pink Boy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They are within their rights to deduct money from your deposit for cleaning. Usually properties must be cleaned to a professional standard before you leave and it sounds like that was not possible with the equipment provided.

If you think £45 is excessive, ask for a receipt for which the cleaning applies to your room only.
no-fat-chicks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pink Boy)
They are within their rights to deduct money from your deposit for cleaning. Usually properties must be cleaned to a professional standard before you leave and it sounds like that was not possible with the equipment provided.

If you think £45 is excessive, ask for a receipt for which the cleaning applies to your room only.
Thanks, I ended up not bothering disputing the charges. Though, they should still invest in a new carpet and vacuum for the next occupant!
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pink Boy)
Properties must be cleaned to the same standard that they were in when you first moved in, less fair wear and tear.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by no-fat-chicks)
Thanks, I ended up not bothering disputing the charges. Though, they should still invest in a new carpet and vacuum for the next occupant!
I'd have disputed it. Did they provide proof that it was professionally cleaned before you moved in? Was it noticeably dirtier when you moved out?
no-fat-chicks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reue)
I'd have disputed it. Did they provide proof that it was professionally cleaned before you moved in? Was it noticeably dirtier when you moved out?
Honestly, I can't remember as I moved out at the end of May. I do remember thoroughly cleaning all my rooms though but I've taken the £45 cleaning charge I think it's been too long anyway as I've already had the remaining deposit returned to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (420)
43.8%
No (100)
10.43%
I'm not old enough (439)
45.78%

Watched Threads