The Student Room Group

About to start an economics degree with no economics A-level

I am (I imagine) in a fairly unique circumstance - I was originally going to study Modern Languages at Birmingham but have recently switched my degree to Economics with Spanish. I won't bore you with all the reasons that led to this decision but it kind of felt 'meant to be' as although I didn't chose Birmingham for its economics course, I have since looked around and its modules appeal to me far more than other universities, plus it is one of the only RG unis that allow you to do economics without a maths A-level.

But I'm a bit worried about being behind as I imagine I may well be the only person without an A-level in economics - or at least in a very small minority. It's not like I know nothing about economics (obviously I have enough of an interest that I chose to study it) - I did history A-level, I am very interested in politics, keep up with current affairs and I have read books relating to economics. However, I'm not sure if this knowledge will match the knowledge everyone else has, especially as my interests have tended to lean towards more 'unconventional' economics.

So I was wondering what any current/past economics students think I should do in preparation - should I try to familiarise myself with the basics of the A-level syllabus (I was considering watching the youtube videos of Econplusdal) or just continue following my interests and hope for the best? Has anyone else been in or knows anyone who has been in the same position as me?
Original post by thegreengirl
I am (I imagine) in a fairly unique circumstance - I was originally going to study Modern Languages at Birmingham but have recently switched my degree to Economics with Spanish. I won't bore you with all the reasons that led to this decision but it kind of felt 'meant to be' as although I didn't chose Birmingham for its economics course, I have since looked around and its modules appeal to me far more than other universities, plus it is one of the only RG unis that allow you to do economics without a maths A-level.

But I'm a bit worried about being behind as I imagine I may well be the only person without an A-level in economics - or at least in a very small minority. It's not like I know nothing about economics (obviously I have enough of an interest that I chose to study it) - I did history A-level, I am very interested in politics, keep up with current affairs and I have read books relating to economics. However, I'm not sure if this knowledge will match the knowledge everyone else has, especially as my interests have tended to lean towards more 'unconventional' economics.

So I was wondering what any current/past economics students think I should do in preparation - should I try to familiarise myself with the basics of the A-level syllabus (I was considering watching the youtube videos of Econplusdal) or just continue following my interests and hope for the best? Has anyone else been in or knows anyone who has been in the same position as me?

Did you do maths as or a level out of interest?
But I'm a bit worried about being behind as I imagine I may well be the only person without an A-level in economics - or at least in a very small minority...

You shouldn't worry, Economics courses (or basically any course) always start completely from scratch because of different backgrounds of people... you might need to do more work in the first term when A-level stuff is recovered, but after that you'll know exactly the same as everyone else, if not more because you're probably more motivated to do more work so you're not behind. You'll also realise how little there actually is in A-level when you start doing uni work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by simbasdragon
Did you do maths as or a level out of interest?

I did it at AS level and got a B but then (ironically) dropped it as it was the subject least relevant to what I then wanted to pursue. So I have a rather unusual subject combination for economics - english lit, spanish and history
I did it at AS level and got a B but then (ironically) dropped it as it was the subject least relevant to what I then wanted to pursue. So I have a rather unusual subject combination for economics - english lit, spanish and history

You will be fine with the maths content but usually people without AS maths they ahve to take some compulsory maths modules which might give you less choice when it comes to your optional modules.
Reply 5
Original post by jamesmc12
You shouldn't worry, Economics courses (or basically any course) always start completely from scratch because of different backgrounds of people... you might need to do more work in the first term when A-level stuff is recovered, but after that you'll know exactly the same as everyone else, if not more because you're probably more motivated to do more work so you're not behind. You'll also realise how little there actually is in A-level when you start doing uni work.

Thanks that makes me feel much better! I was just worried that although that's the official line they would throw in terminology etc I'd be unfamiliar with but I guess they can't really do that.
Thanks that makes me feel much better! I was just worried that although that's the official line they would throw in terminology etc I'd be unfamiliar with but I guess they can't really do that.

The only A level that any university asks for Econ is Maths. Economics is not necessary at A level, so most unis tend to cover the basics or most A level content in the first few weeks.
If you wanted to get a better idea of what Economics is about, read a few beginner's books, like The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford
Reply 7
Original post by will_jg
You will be fine with the maths content but usually people without AS maths they ahve to take some compulsory maths modules which might give you less choice when it comes to your optional modules.

The module information online just seems to say there is just one set of modules for people with A level maths and one set of modules for people without it in the first year, both worth the same amount of credits, not sure how that would work though
Reply 8
Original post by H0PEL3SS
The only A level that any university asks for Econ is Maths. Economics is not necessary at A level, so most unis tend to cover the basics or most A level content in the first few weeks.
If you wanted to get a better idea of what Economics is about, read a few beginner's books, like The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford

I know that no university requires it, I was just thinking that since the vast majority of those who go on to study economics do have it, that might lead to an expectation for everyone to know certain things. But from what people have said, I should be alright!
I've read 'The Logic of Life' by Tim Harford as that was what the library had in, thanks for the advice :smile:
You'll essentially never need to use any of the maths taught at A2 in an economics degree - the only vaguely relevant things might have been the stats modules but their fairly terrible in A level maths anyway. The only reason I guess most Economics degrees ask for maths is because it's a good a-level, and people won't be scared whenever they see an equation written down.

Also I'm sure thegreengirl is mistaken that "no university requires it" - the Cambridge Economics course definitely requires Maths, and often ask for Further Maths / STEP, but the content of their economics degree is more like an "Applied Statistics" course and is very mathematical, unlike most other Economics courses.
You'll essentially never need to use any of the maths taught at A2 in an economics degree - the only vaguely relevant things might have been the stats modules but their fairly terrible in A level maths anyway. The only reason I guess most Economics degrees ask for maths is because it's a good a-level, and people won't be scared whenever they see an equation written down.

Also I'm sure thegreengirl is mistaken that "no university requires it" - the Cambridge Economics course definitely requires Maths, and often ask for Further Maths / STEP, but the content of their economics degree is more like an "Applied Statistics" course and is very mathematical, unlike most other Economics courses.

I was talking about economics A-level not maths, sorry if that was unclear!

This might be a difficult question to give a general answer to but Cambridge and other mathematically-orientated economics courses aside, how would you say the difficulty of the maths in an economics degree compares to A-level? Is it basically just learning how to do certain things and being able to apply them or is there also a lot problem-solving and intuition-type involved? I'm not quite sure what to expect

This might be a difficult question to give a general answer to but Cambridge and other mathematically-orientated economics courses aside, how would you say the difficulty of the maths in an economics degree compares to A-level? Is it basically just learning how to do certain things and being able to apply them or is there also a lot problem-solving and intuition-type involved? I'm not quite sure what to expect

My bad... anyway I don't have that much knowledge of the content other than skimming university sites / past papers, and the person I know who does Economics at Warwick is very mathsy and did Further Maths at A-level, so he didn't find it difficult at all. It appears that the required maths would be learning methods which you can apply rather than problem solving type maths.. .though the shared maths/economics courses later on like Game Theory would be more intuitive.
My bad... anyway I don't have that much knowledge of the content other than skimming university sites / past papers, and the person I know who does Economics at Warwick is very mathsy and did Further Maths at A-level, so he didn't find it difficult at all. It appears that the required maths would be learning methods which you can apply rather than problem solving type maths.. .though the shared maths/economics courses later on like Game Theory would be more intuitive.

Ah right no worries, I presumed you were an economics student as you seem to know a lot about it. That should be fine for me then, I could probably be considered 'good' at maths compared to the average person but I'm not the kind of person who everything just clicks for immediately - as interesting as game theory sounds it probably won't be my calling!
I know that no university requires it, I was just thinking that since the vast majority of those who go on to study economics do have it, that might lead to an expectation for everyone to know certain things. But from what people have said, I should be alright!
I've read 'The Logic of Life' by Tim Harford as that was what the library had in, thanks for the advice :smile:

Yeah, you should be fine. The A level has almost zero maths in it, bar basic operations and index numbers, which is totally different to the degree. That's why the A level is not required, as they'll go over that anyway, just from a more mathematical perspective.

The maths in an economics degree is mostly certain parts of A-level, and a lot of it is around A-level standard:
- Basic algebra, rearranging equations and using rules of indices and logs
- Geometric series, these come up a lot
- Differentiation, this is the key maths behind microeconomics as it allows you to do problems of optimisation (eg here is the firm's total revenue and total cost function, work out the level of output that optimises their profit). There's a lot of partial differentiation.
- Integration
- Matrices

Then there is also the stats which again is largely around A-level:
- Normal distribution and other types of distribution
- Hypothesis testing
- Confidence intervals
- Regression
- Statistical tests like t-tests etc

Firstly don't worry about this situation at all. I think it's better when students come fresh in to undergrad without having done A-level Economics. You learn the principles better from scratch on an undergraduate degree, whereas A-level sketches over a lot of things, and sometimes students with A-level Economics fall in to the trap of recognising familiar topic titles and thinking "yeah yeah, done this, I know it" and not engaging with the way it's taught at undergrad level properly.

Some A-level questions will be exactly the same as undergraduate questions, but the way in which they are answered is very different: you learn how to answer it properly at university, and some students will trot out A-level answers that won't cut it. So if you are an A-level student reading this, bear this in mind!

If you want to do some reading before, the best books to read, are the very readable Tim Harford books: Undercover Economist and Undercover Economist Strikes Back. These are very good pre-reading because although there's no maths, graphs or anything technical like in a textbook, Harford really explains the core principles of economics so you understand what's going on. Undercover Economist is mostly about micro and Strikes Back is about macro.

They aren't expensive and they are well worth getting, even if you don't finish them before you start uni, read them alongside your course and they will help you get the intuition. They are really underrated and valuable books for an economics students to read.

Another book which is useful as a stats refresher is Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data, another non-technical book which gets you thinking like a statistician and helps you understand the intuition of how to be guided by data.
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Wow thankyou for taking the time for those responses, that's really helpful! I'll definitely get my hands on those books.

With regards to the maths, I will probably brush up a bit in what was covered in my AS in the relevant topics as most of what you listed is familiar but foggy, just to make my life that bit easier at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending