The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is a large butt so desirable in white culture nowadays?

Scroll to see replies

/r/AsABlackMan
Isn't there like a scientific reason why guys like girls with big asses bc psychologically they are more fit to bear children or something.
I don't really care about sizes as long as a girl is cute tbh
How many times do rational people like me have to tell everyone that maybe people can make their own choices and it isn't all about race and gender?
Original post by Debra W
There comes a time when you learn that you can't converse with brainwashed folk. The OP discovered this and rightfully disengaged.

The reason why black culture is being appropriated, is because historically, this has always been the case. Black people remain the most influential group in the world despite deliberate attempts to oppress them.

Of course culture vultures would suggest appropriation doesn't exist. The people who claim they can't see colour, see it the most.
culture cannot be "stolen" . It circulates freely, and is often imitated, or absorbed: this, in fact, is more of a compliment than anything else

most surely, large butts do not constitute intellectual property, and "appropriating" them cannot be considered as copyright or trade mark infringement

best
Being flat was never desirable in White culture

Want proof? look at classic European art with shapely women

Its because the fashion industry is full of people, largely gays who like flat women.
Original post by Why We H8
Being flat was never desirable in White culture

Want proof? look at classic European art with shapely women

Its because the fashion industry is full of people, largely gays who like flat women.

:s-smilie:
Original post by Debra W
There comes a time when you learn that you can't converse with brainwashed folk. The OP discovered this and rightfully disengaged.

The reason why black culture is being appropriated, is because historically, this has always been the case. Black people remain the most influential group in the world despite deliberate attempts to oppress them.

Of course culture vultures would suggest appropriation doesn't exist. The people who claim they can't see colour, see it the most.

Yeah, right.
Original post by mariachi
culture cannot be "stolen" . It circulates freely, and is often imitated, or absorbed: this, in fact, is more of a compliment than anything else

most surely, large butts do not constitute intellectual property, and "appropriating" them cannot be considered as copyright or trade mark infringement

best

Oh stop it! I refuse to believe that your level of understanding re cultural appropriation can be so basic. Lets not minimise a legitimate observation. It is this delusional response which puts people off from even engaging in an interesting debate which has merit.

Of course ones culture can be stolen (dishonestly appropriated). If you claim to have started a custom or fashion trend when you didn't, that is theft! Equally, if you take on one's culture without crediting its origin (leading others to believe that it is yours) , that is also theft!

This whole 'its all in your head' talk is very patronising and dismissive. It doesn't change the fact that appropriation happens all the time.

The notion is simple.. Black women have always had the traits deemed desirable by western culture today however, racism and oppression have lead to things like a big butt or big lips being ridiculed historically. The OP asked why. Its an interesting question and for me, the answer is very simple.

Some have stated that it is flattering for one group to appropriate the other but I beg to differ. I would argue that nobody would feel 'flattered' by appropriation after being ridiculed for those very features for so long.

The audacity of those who have shamed black people for their bodies whilst performing procedures to look just like them is just... well hypocritical. Of course cultural appropriation has a much wider context, it would be interesting to have a intelligent discussion about it but like the OP has discovered, denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

this-makeup-artist-turned-a-white-woman-into-a-bl-2-13839-1496142543-1_dblbig.jpg
Original post by Debra W
Oh stop it! I refuse to believe that your level of understanding re cultural appropriation can be so basic etc etc
a lot of empty words

as I said : imitating a culture is in fact some sort of compliment.

And no, neither culture nor "large butts" can be "appropriated" : in fact, they circulate freely, just like language, dance and (after intellectual property rights expire) literature, music, cinema, youname it

in fact, cultures (just like people) interact with each other, and often cross-fertilisation produces excellent results

on the other hand, PC gone crazy usually just produces a lot of pitiful bla bla bla

best
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mariachi
a lot of empty words

as I said : imitating a culture is in fact some sort of compliment.

And no, neither culture nor "large butts" can be "appropriated" : in fact, they circulate freely, just like language, dance and (after intellectual property rights expire) literature, music, cinema, youname it

in fact, cultures (just like people) interact with each other, and often cross-fertilisation produces excellent results

on the other hand, PC gone crazy usually just produces a lot of pitiful bla bla bla

best

Yes of course... lol!igt8xvc9cromahaiiid9.jpg
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou
As a black man I've been aware of how in black culture having a large or very large bum (let's say between 40"-55":wink: was a desirable physical feature to have and for a time white society made it clear that having a large butt was ugly. Then came J-Lo and Beyonce with sizeable butts but still rather small when compared to many urban models. Now with the likes of Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj in the spotlight suddenly there's a whole re-evaluation in white culture whether a large butt is attractive or not.

Now many white women are getting surgery to make themselves curvier, wearing padded underwear and reshaping jeans to get a boost and annoyingly it's white women who are getting a lot of attention for having "big butts" even though African women and Brazilian women have had large butts for generations. Does anyone remember Jen Selter who has "the internet's best bum"? It seems like a black woman has a big bum and she's ignored but a white woman has a round bum and she gets sports deals and featured on copious news sites and magazines. Then there's "The Big Butt Book" an actual book about big butts has a white woman on the cover despite black and Brazilian women actually being known for having big butts. It's puzzling.

I'm not saying white women can't have big butts; I can name white women with big butts, I'm just asking why are white women suddenly wanting larger and fuller butts when years ago this was an an unattractive feature? Is it simply the ongoing change in what's beautiful?

I haven't really noticed but I always thought that this feature has been desirable in ALL cultures but perhaps more recently people have been more vocal about it (i.e the thicc meme)

From a scientific standpoint - women who have big bottoms tends to have bigger waists so chances of successful reproduction is much greater with women who have bigger bottoms therefore it is more desirable trait.
Original post by Unkilled
How many times do rational people like me have to tell everyone that maybe people can make their own choices and it isn't all about race and gender?

People aren't rational actors, despite what economists like to believe. This applies even more so in sex and attraction.

People are influenced by culture and wider societal trends, examining how and why is a legitimate form of inquiry.
Original post by mojojojo101
People aren't rational actors, despite what economists like to believe. This applies even more so in sex and attraction.

People are influenced by culture and wider societal trends, examining how and why is a legitimate form of inquiry.

Yes. However, biology informs culture.
Smh, you all need to get on the level of the Toltecs:
Huemac.PNG
Are you brain dead? Having a big butt is not cultural appropriation. Are you saying that someone Beothuk a naturally large butt stole their genetic code from a black person? Do you even know what culture is? You seriously just made yourself look so stupid.
A wide ass is not the same as a big ass. Black people don't admire wide flat butts (which is the mesoamerican body type), but protruding buttocks even when the hips are narrow. The current large butt standard is also protruding buttocks, something that was once considered unattractive in western countries, but was always considered attractive in majority black societies. And this is not to say only black women have this body type, but it's more marked in black women (look up steatopygia) and is not generally considered particularly attractive in European or Asian cultures.
This shouldn't really be a question. The answer for me to the original question which led to all these digression is because people have their opinions and interests and are entitled to expressing it freely. The topic of black people feeling unfair and white sovereignty should just die down already, it prevents real problems from being solved, doesn't solve anything and leads to actual problems. Let us first of all understand that trends come and go, and all of us make it so. It's all vanity, there has never been a case where royalties were paid to the original people that led to it. Nobody deserves to be arrested or hated for moving with the trend. I'm not sure serious minded people want to know what a perfect cliche is made of and in that wise, what to attach a rigid identity and label t. That's why at times I ponder on the actual relevance of culture. I hate when people feel they need to prove something, need to prove they're black enough, gay enough and so on. Not stray into something

Latest

Trending

Trending