Will A Level electronics put me at a disadvantage to study comp sci at university? Watch

AmarRPM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently retaking Y12 and plan on studying computer science at university. I was planning on taking a level maths, physics, computing and a BTEC level 3 in IT, however due to my GCSE grade and previous AS grade I can't take physics and will instead have to take A level electronics as a replacement.

Will A level electronics put me at a disadvantage when applying to universities ranking in the top 20 tier? As I honestly think that with a lot of hard work, organisation and frequent revision I could achieve AAA/A*AA, but I'm unsure as to whether I'd be disadvantaged with A level electronics as it may come across as a 'soft' subject, compared to other applicants who may have physics/further maths.

A few unis I have in mind are warwick, UCL, birmingham, nottingham and KCL, would it be possible to get into these unis to study computer science having studied A level electronics, as I know these unis are very competitive.
Rabadon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're mainly looking for maths/fm, can't see electronics affecting you badly.
AmarRPM
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rabadon)
They're mainly looking for maths/fm, can't see electronics affecting you badly.
Isn't it seen as a more 'soft' subject by unis though? Compared to people who have physics/fm instead
Rabadon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AmarRPM)
Isn't it seen as a more 'soft' subject by unis though? Compared to people who have physics/fm instead
If you get the top grades I can't see RG unis minding too much if your PS is good too, imperial/oxbridge would ofcourse mind though
AmarRPM
Rep:
?
If you get the top grades I can't see RG unis minding too much if your PS is good too, imperial/oxbridge would ofcourse mind though
Ok, thanks for the reassurance. I'm not really planning on applying to imperial/oxbridge even if I got the grades, but the top unis I'm hoping to apply for would probably be Warwick/UCL.
pereira325
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry lol what is A-Level electronics?
I think it may affect you considering computer science is essentially Physics and Maths.
It's a weird situation, I mean you are doing A-level computing so you should be safe.
Just get an A in Maths and Computing and an A in Electronics and you should be safe. Physics is a hard subject so they may be disappointed however, it is really valued if you get an A or A* in that. No1 really knows what electronics is, being honest.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Electronics will help you! it is the branch of Physics that is really relevant to Computer Science and will help with some of your modules.

You dont actually do much Physics in Computer Science either, also Electronics isnt a 'soft' subject.

in Electronics A level you will cover: Logic Gates, Boolean Algebra, Truth Tables, Computer Architecture, Memory, Design of Logic Systems, Programmable Control Systems, Digital Communication Systems this is only part of the syllabus, you could take a lot of worse subjects :P very much relevant to Computer Science

In my opinion it is probably better than Physics if you want to study Comp Sci.

Hope this Helps
AmarRPM
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
Electronics will help you! it is the branch of Physics that is really relevant to Computer Science and will help with some of your modules.

You dont actually do much Physics in Computer Science either, also Electronics isnt a 'soft' subject.

in Electronics A level you will cover: Logic Gates, Boolean Algebra, Truth Tables, Computer Architecture, Memory, Design of Logic Systems, Programmable Control Systems, Digital Communication Systems this is only part of the syllabus, you could take a lot of worse subjects :P very much relevant to Computer Science

In my opinion it is probably better than Physics if you want to study Comp Sci.

Hope this Helps
That's actually cleared up a lot of misconceptions i've had!

I've also looked at the spec and many areas do seem pretty relevant.

Thanks for the helpful response
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

No worries, happy to help

A lot of people think for Comp Sci you need to be taking Maths, FM and Physics when really subjects like Computing and Electronics are very good, especially when you think that most of the maths in a CS degree is discrete mathematics and in A level you do mostly pure mathematics and there is very little physics in CS although being mathematically minded does help
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why give advice when you have no idea what you are on about?

This is from Imperial's website OP:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

TSR can be a horrific place for advice sometimes, just a tonne of people pulling assumptions out of their butt. Some users are quite helpful, like yt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AmarRPM
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
Why give advice when you have no idea what you are on about?

This is from Imperial's website OP:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for clearing that up as well. I don't actually plan on applying to imperial but it's good to know that electronics is seen as a respected A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (38)
7.44%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (298)
58.32%
No (175)
34.25%

Watched Threads