The Student Room Group

Sigh...Clearing or 4th year of doing A levels(resitting exams)?

Hi,

I pretty much messed up my A level grades and have all E's, I then took a gap year but had no job or money to resit my A levels.

I have about 5 offers for clearing to do a foundation year in Mechanical Engineering with foundation year, but at the same time I could potentially get (emphasis on POTENTIAL, certainly not guaranteed) a full time job after I go to the assessment tomorrow.

I am content with going to Hull or Demontford to do mechanical engineering.
But I feel kind of worried that my shockingly poor A levels will be a hindrance for me in the future when it comes to things like graduate jobs or schemes which use UCAS autofilters. And at the same time if I take this second gap year I could go to much better unis if I get good grades.

However there is a catch; the fulltime job will be very demanding and at least 40 hours per week so I don't know if I will have enough time to dedicate to doing at least two entire A levels/ and if I don't get the fulltime job, I'll be stuck on a zero hour contract while having to worry about paying the rent if I don't get a lot of shifts, let alone save at least £1000 if I want to basically redo my entire A level Maths and Physics :frown:
TL;DR:

So the question is, with my situation of being stuck in a zero hour contract job and living on my own with three E's at A level (with a slight chance of getting a contract or find a different more secure job), is it better to go for my clearing courses or is it better to retake my A levels (this would be the 4th year I would spend doing A levels :frown:) and potentially save myself from trouble with my bad A levels in the long run?

EDIT: I know some people will tell me that I probably cannot handle university or engineering for that matter.
But spending my time in my gap year doing manual HARD labour in a zero hour contract, has made me realize what having no skills/education will do to my future life. And besides the reason for such bad grades was due to me procrastrinating because of bouts of depression during A2 (I know not much of an excuse). I didn't really find maths or physics very hard, I just didn't put the effort/work in at that time and I pretty much took education for granted, thinking I could keep procrastrinating and messing up all my life...
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If A levels aren't working out for you, wouldn't it be worth taking a different route to get into a university/higher employment, like an apprenticeship?
Reply 2
Original post by tinyflame
Hi,

I pretty much messed up my A level grades and have all E's, I then took a gap year but had no job or money to resit my A levels.

I have about 5 offers for clearing to do Mechanical Engineering with foundation year, but at the same time I could potentially get (emphasis on POTENTIAL, certainly not guaranteed) a full time job after I go to the assessment tomorrow.

But I feel kind of worried that my shockingly poor A levels will be a hindrance for me in the future when it comes to things like graduate jobs or schemes which use UCAS autofilters. And at the same time if I take this second gap year I could go to much better unis if I get good grades.

However there is a catch; the fulltime job will be very demanding and at least 40 hours per week so I don't know if I will have enough time to dedicate to doing at least two entire A levels/ and if I don't get the fulltime job, I'll be stuck on a zero hour contract while having to worry about paying the rent if I don't get a lot of shifts, let alone save at least £1000 if I want to basically redo my entire A level Maths and Physics :frown:
TL;DR:

So the question is, with my situation of being stuck in a zero hour contract job and living on my own with three E's at A level (with a slight chance of getting a contract or find a different more secure job), is it better to go for my clearing courses or is it better to retake my A levels (this would be the 4th year I would spend doing A levels :frown:) and potentially save myself from trouble with my bad A levels in the long run?

Don't bother with uni since it would most likely be too hard for you.
Reply 3
Original post by AmarRPM
If A levels aren't working out for you, wouldn't it be worth taking a different route to get into a university/higher employment, like an apprenticeship?

I have considered it, but I have not applied to them yet.
But I get the impression that even apprenticeships are competitive and it's not straight forward getting into one that is actually good/not dodgy.
Also as a side note, I don't really like the idea of being chained with one employer for the rest of my life, as they would want you to be there in the long run
Hi,

I have about 5 offers for clearing to do a foundation year in Mechanical Engineering with foundation year, but at the same time I could potentially get (emphasis on POTENTIAL, certainly not guaranteed) a full time job after I go to the assessment tomorrow.

TL;DR:

If it were me, I'd go for the uni course. It's foundation so you'll start off with the basics and end up with a degree. A lot of people who struggled with A levels find uni better than they thought. Go for it! You've wasted enough time doing A levels
Reply 5
Original post by adil1231
Don't bother with uni since it would most likely be too hard for you.

It would have been hard for my 18/19 year old self that's for sure.

I appreciate and know now that having economically valuable skills and education is my only way out of unskilled/unemployment hell.
I'm more mature now and I realize that education is not free (technically) so I should make the most out of it. (One of the reasons I messed up when I was younger as I took it for granted)

And besides I have done maths and science at A level before, I wouldn't say it was hard, I just didn't put in the work and effort and was procrastrinating a lot due to bouts of depression at college.
Hi,

TL;DR:

If you're really committed to it, I would say go for the foundation course in mechanical engineering. You'll certainly be a lot more employable with a degree and if any employers are iffy about it at the time you can arrange with them to resit the A-levels to their satisfaction. No point wasting more time on A-levels. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by cherryred90s
If it were me, I'd go for the uni course. It's foundation so you'll start off with the basics and end up with a degree. A lot of people who struggled with A levels find uni better than they thought. Go for it! You've wasted enough time doing A levels

That's my gut feeling exactly!

-Another year would be very long
-
I would need £1000 saved up to redo at least two A levels, which I practically can't do being on zero hours and having to pay rent every week.
-
I'm only considering it because I'm scarred of not being able to get passed the ucas autofilters for graduate jobs/schemes
-
And also for the chance of going to better universities, even though I am content with going to Hull and DeMontford doing similair courses which are both accredited and have potential sandwhich years which I'm specifically looking for!?

It's just that small nit picky fear in the back of my mind, telling me that my A levels will bite me back in the long run?
That's my gut feeling exactly!

-Another year would be very long
-
I would need £1000 saved up to redo at least two A levels, which I practically can't do being on zero hours and having to pay rent every week.
-
I'm only considering it because I'm scarred of not being able to get passed the ucas autofilters for graduate jobs/schemes
-
And also for the chance of going to better universities, even though I am content with going to Hull and DeMontford doing similair courses which are both accredited and have potential sandwhich years which I'm specifically looking for!?

It's just that small nit picky fear in the back of my mind, telling me that my A levels will bite me back in the long run?

try and get into any uni you can would be my advice :smile: or get qualifications via btecs or apprenticeships :smile:
Hi,

TL;DR:

EDIT: I know some people will tell me that I probably cannot handle university or engineering for that matter.
But spending my time in my gap year doing manual HARD labour in a zero hour contract, has made me realize what having no skills/education will do to my future life. And besides the reason for such bad grades was due to me procrastrinating because of bouts of depression during A2 (I know not much of an excuse). I didn't really find maths or physics very hard, I just didn't put the effort/work in at that time and I pretty much took education for granted, thinking I could keep procrastrinating and messing up all my life...

Go to uni a levels aren't working for you but the uni system might

Posted from TSR Mobile
My advice....if you are not cut out to do A levels, I don't think you should even bother with university. 4 years of doing A levels seems like an utter waste of time if I am being brutally honest with you. Maybe go look for an apprenticeship or something. I don't think you're cut out for university.
Maybe you'll be one of those people who bloom at university after struggling through A-levels. If yout previous performance was truly a matter of not put effort it, you can still change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go for uni. So many people find it suits them far better than A levels ever did and the foundation year should fill in any gaps. You sound as though you are ready to grab the opportunity and make the most of it, Good Luck.
Reply 13
Hi guys,

Thank you for all your advice and responses, I pretty much feel set on going to uni this year, I have two clearing offers that I am quite satisfied with, and as I have mentioned in my previous posts, I am approaching education with a very different mentality this time, and it was pretty much a bad mentality mixed with bouts of depression that held me back from getting good A level grades.
Reply 14
Hi guys,

Thank you for all your advice and responses, I pretty much feel set on going to uni this year, I have two clearing offers that I am quite satisfied with, and as I have mentioned in my previous posts, I am approaching education with a very different mentality this time, and it was pretty much a bad mentality mixed with bouts of depression that held me back from getting good A level grades.

Hey I've just seen this, i'm not sure on what you've decided on but I think you should go for the Uni choices!! Hull and DMU are decent uni's by all means!! Also if you wanted whilst their you could re-sit one/two modules as a private candidate to bring up ur a level grades but thats just a thought. Anyway, good luck!!!
Reply 15
Original post by ChiFlee
Hey I've just seen this, i'm not sure on what you've decided on but I think you should go for the Uni choices!! Hull and DMU are decent uni's by all means!! Also if you wanted whilst their you could re-sit one/two modules as a private candidate to bring up ur a level grades but thats just a thought. Anyway, good luck!!!

Hi,

I was pretty much set on going to Hull, but I feel a bit of "pre-homesickness" because Hull is just so much more different to Birmingham, while De Montfort feels familiar.

The thing is though I had been intensely comparing the two universities and Hull just seems much more high quality, so from my point of view, since I have already screwed up my A levels, why also miss the opportunity to go to a good quality uni?

I don't really like De Montfort, I would only be going there for my part time job and for the familiarity, but I find Hull much nicer looking, but ina city completely foreign to me? :frown:
Reply 16
Hi,

I was pretty much set on going to Hull, but I feel a bit of "pre-homesickness" because Hull is just so much more different to Birmingham, while De Montfort feels familiar.

The thing is though I had been intensely comparing the two universities and Hull just seems much more high quality, so from my point of view, since I have already screwed up my A levels, why also miss the opportunity to go to a good quality uni?

I don't really like De Montfort, I would only be going there for my part time job and for the familiarity, but I find Hull much nicer looking, but ina city completely foreign to me? :frown:

The home sick feeling is understandable. Have you actually decided on anything yet? The school term does start very soon.... I think it may be in your best interest to go to Hull... University is all about experiencing new things and coming out of your comfort zone!! If it bothers you so much DMU isnt bad but seeing as you said you prefer Hull and the area maybe you should go there, I'm not sure if you've said this already but what are you studying?
Reply 17
Original post by ChiFlee
The home sick feeling is understandable. Have you actually decided on anything yet? The school term does start very soon.... I think it may be in your best interest to go to Hull... University is all about experiencing new things and coming out of your comfort zone!! If it bothers you so much DMU isnt bad but seeing as you said you prefer Hull and the area maybe you should go there, I'm not sure if you've said this already but what are you studying?

I will be doing Mechanical Engineering with Foundation year at both unis.

I actually feel very grateful and fortunate that I can get into these two universities with my grades, so I will definitely make the most of it wherever I go.

It's so hard to decide :frown:

But yeah, really feel more like going Hull,, but I'm just reluctant about moving away so far. And you're right, I will be paying 9k a year, might as well make the most out of it and experience a fresh new start, rather than stay chained to familiarity.
Reply 18
I will be doing Mechanical Engineering with Foundation year at both unis.

I actually feel very grateful and fortunate that I can get into these two universities with my grades, so I will definitely make the most of it wherever I go.

It's so hard to decide :frown:

But yeah, really feel more like going Hull,, but I'm just reluctant about moving away so far. And you're right, I will be paying 9k a year, might as well make the most out of it and experience a fresh new start, rather than stay chained to familiarity.

How far is Hull from Birmingham? Sorry haha I'm from London so I have no idea about up North. When did the universities say you have to decide by? Have you spoken to your parents? They know you a lot better so should be able to help you in some way...

Either way well done on acceptance to both universities :smile: don't let your grades hold you back!! i didn't get the grades I wanted either was predicted AAA and got ABC shockingly. So i'm no longer going to ucl but sussex instead, i didnt want to leave london but hey, got to make the most of it. My career requires me to have at least a masters anyway so ucl haven't seen the last of me :wink:

My point is, you have to just make the most out of this situation and prepare for your future, I think Hull does overall have a better reputation than DMU anyway :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by ChiFlee
How far is Hull from Birmingham? Sorry haha I'm from London so I have no idea about up North. When did the universities say you have to decide by? Have you spoken to your parents? They know you a lot better so should be able to help you in some way...

Either way well done on acceptance to both universities :smile: don't let your grades hold you back!! i didn't get the grades I wanted either was predicted AAA and got ABC shockingly. So i'm no longer going to ucl but sussex instead, i didnt want to leave london but hey, got to make the most of it. My career requires me to have at least a masters anyway so ucl haven't seen the last of me :wink:

My point is, you have to just make the most out of this situation and prepare for your future, I think Hull does overall have a better reputation than DMU anyway :smile:

Hull is about 2.5 hours away and train tickets cost of a one way ticket is £26 minimum, anf off peak day return is £80 -.- :frown:? It is actually the same distance as from Birmingham to London, but it's a lot more expensive going there somehow.

I used to live in London too, really miss that place :smile:

De Montfort by tomorrow 12pm and for Hull I have until next week..
I spoke to my mum about it, and she liked the idea of me working while studying at the same time if I go to De Montfort, it's close so I could visit her easily and it's more familiar to me. But then I just felt too reluctant to firm De Montfort, I just feel that Hull is better and I'm passing an opportunity? :frown:

I know they're close in the league tables, but it is very noticable that Hull is good quality.

Lool I wanted to apply to Sussex for foundation years, but they were all full, Sussex seems like a really good university. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending