Turn on thread page Beta

cambridge watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    anyone applying to cambridge? which colleges? how hard is it to get in?

ReputationRep:
    I applied last year to Sidney Sussex, didn't get in though. The interviews are the most important part of your application, I think.. so you gotta do well I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! I'm hopefully applying there to study philosophy (if my grades are good for AS!)

I've narrowed down my decision to: Trinity, Queens, Selwyn.

Trinity because its the best, most prestigious college in my opinion, and the others cuz they're closest to teh faculty. It's probably very hard to get in, more so in the larger colleges.

Where are you going then Nylex? What did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Nylex,
    what do you think went wrong in the interview? what subject were you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Computer Science. Well the first interview I had, I was really nervous and it showed. The second one was actually the easiest cos it was all Maths based stuff so I didn't have to worry and the last one was horrible.. Physics stuff and I couldn't explain it properly. I guess it was a combination of not doing well in the interviews and just not being good enough to be given a place.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Adhsur, sorry.. I'm going to Birmingham to do Comp Sci.

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to apply to do maths probably at pembroke. i think it's worth applying even tho i dont really think ill get an offer. the hardest bit i think will be the interview cos when i get nervous i become really thick and my mind goes blank and i just cant think at all. step III will be pertty hard but i will do loads of practice so hopefully ill survive it.

from what i heard trinity is full of posh nobbers but i might be wrong or you might not mind so hey...

anywho good luck ever1 thinking of applying hope u get good as's and dont let nerves get the better of you at the interviews.

In spite of feelign that I had a chance of getting into cambridge, I purposely did not want to apply there for several reasons:
    1. aghhh!! the pressure!!
    2. i've heard that if u apply to cambridge, other places turn u down because they think there's no chance u'll go to them if cambridge accepts u. and dont laugh. i have heard this happen. my v bright friend applied to 5 unis (she got almost all A*s for gcse and had 5 ASs all As behind her). 3 out of the 5 unis she applied for rejected her for no reason, and at the end cambridge did too!! so she has only one uni on her list now! its so unfair.
    3.this one's a question mark, but i suspect that cambridge students are expected 2 do loads of work independently. if ur the sort who needs no pushing and does work & research for ur own initiative & need little help, u'll do amazingly and enjoy yourself at cambridge, but if u r constantly asking for help like me... well u get the point.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a summer school thing at Downing college and really loved it last year. I wish I had applied there now, for some totally messed up reason I decided to apply to a college in oxford that I had never seen and had the worlds worst portuguese interview. I've regretted not applying to Cambridge instead ever since.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    2. i've heard that if u apply to cambridge, other places turn u down because they think there's no chance u'll go to them if cambridge accepts u. and dont laugh. i have heard this happen.
    Yeah, I had heard about this too. The UCAS system has changed though.. now, universities only know you've applied to them and not the others you've applied to (last year was the first year AFAIK). Also, your point about Cambridge students doing a lot of independent learning.. that's what they told us at college, that the students at Oxbridge are so motivated, etc.

are there any cambridge students on this website who can enlighten us on their uni?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Nylex, they might not be able to see what other Unis you applied to, but chances are if they receive your application before the 15th of october, they know you either want to be a medic, or go to oxbridge.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    I personally would have preferred to apply to Oxford, because the colleges there seem to have nicer accommodation etc. but unfortunately Oxford doesn't offer my subject. As for Trinity being posh - i don't think i'd mind! lol. Maybe wont fit in though so i'll think about that. Cambridge is lovely though! Only problem is transport!

And surely that isn't true Phil about early application? I mean, I personally would want to apply early anyway to get things out of the way, and I'm sure many others would. Plus, its always best to apply early for any uni so that yours is one of the first applications they consider.

ReputationRep:
    According to the BBC Website, Cambridge is acutally the top University in the Uk. Oxford is second.

If you apply to Cambridge, you cannot apply to Oxford or vice versa which I think is s***. If your turn down by one you should be able to have the option of the other!

Just thought I'd jump in here with my pointless thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    What are the criteria that people would suggest when deciding which college to apply to?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i hate that you cant apply to both. i think its coz neitherr want to be second choice to the other so by making you choose they are definitely your top choice (if that makes sense...?)

cambridge is best and sum would say imperial is second, its certainly better than oxford at science/maths. the best thing about oxford and the reason probably y loads of ppl go ther must be the reputation it has.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it does.

I agree Oxford reputation is why loads of people want to go. I want to go because I like the course. But I know I'd never get the grades required so I'm considering Cardiff and The Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    what I actually meant was how do u decide which college in cambridge to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, I'd view things such as location, size. reputation and facilities to be quite important considerations. Look in the prospectus, or better still, order the individual college prospectuses - they will tell you all about the colleges.

do you know, you cant take a science course of your choice in cambridge? i wanted to do pure physics, but was told i had to take a course where biology chemistry and physics were all compulsory. they said that it provides a good grounding and that it leaves other options open.. but what if u suck at biology or chemistry? that is why i didnt apply there. the science course was not what i wanted.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.