Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Read my post above. Newnham, no?

(Original post by Tek)
    Well said.

Perhaps a more useful point for 'Unregistered' to have made would be that Newnham is the easiest college to get in to (with the exception of possibly Girton, which is one of the larger colleges but gets very few applications).

Source: http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/ugpros...plying02e.html
    A low applications to places ratio does not necessarily mean that the college is easy to get into. All it means is that there is a low applications to places ratio. In many cases there is a bit of reverse psychology going on, in that one many deliberately avoid going to a low ratio college because one may believe that it is easy to get into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Read my post above. Newnham, no?
    Yes, and if I was offered any college I would still choose it despite the lack of men. I visited quite a few others and just didn't feel at home where as Newnham felt right from the start. BTW the year I applied New Hall and Girton had less applications than Newn, but I agree with 'unregistered' above on that score. What about u Tek, are you at school or uni? I loved your 'press' thread...

ReputationRep:
    I'm at school, just got 8 A*s and 1A at GCSE, hoping to read History at Cambridge in a few years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I'm at school, just got 8 A*s and 1A at GCSE, hoping to read History at Cambridge in a few years
    Well the best of luck to you. The strongest piece of advice I can give is choose the subject and college that you feel most at home with. You will be far more likely to interview well and enjoy your time there. Congrats on your GCSEs btw - a stunning performance!

(Original post by Haz)
    Also hurt because I adore the subjects - Arch and Anth combines humanities, social sciences and natural sciences which makes it a complex and multi-faceted disclipline to follow. What and where do you study?
    Sorry if i caused any hurt on because I did honestly not intend to. I respect Arch and Anth, but just pointed out that it is a less competitive subject at Cambridge. Like you said, it combines various different disciplines and is a well-respected subject.
    I study Maths at Bath (soon second year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Sorry if i caused any hurt on because I did honestly not intend to. I respect Arch and Anth, but just pointed out that it is a less competitive subject at Cambridge. Like you said, it combines various different disciplines and is a well-respected subject.
    I study Maths at Bath (soon second year).
    No offence taken, it's just that I love my subject and worked hard on my application. I live just outside of Bath (when not in Cambridge obviously.) I bet it was you who put bubble bath in Laura fountain

ReputationRep:
    hey Haz sorry, but i have to say "hi!" i'm gonna be a newnhamite, and to the rest of you.... i must say it gets me really wound up when people say i chose newnham coz its easy to get into to. i had to work my butt off for months to get my place, and yes it was my first choice. I walked into newnham on my 3rd day of looking round colleges and i knew right away that's where i wanted to go. i felt that everyone was really friendly, and i didn't care at all that it is an all female environment. And at the end of the day, cambridge is cambridge, whether you go to kings or newnham, you're still part of it. by the way, im doing maths, so unless step is piss easy to everyone else, its not exactly a walk in the park!
    han

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_han)
    hey Haz sorry, but i have to say "hi!" i'm gonna be a newnhamite, and to the rest of you.... i must say it gets me really wound up when people say i chose newnham coz its easy to get into to. i had to work my butt off for months to get my place, and yes it was my first choice. I walked into newnham on my 3rd day of looking round colleges and i knew right away that's where i wanted to go. i felt that everyone was really friendly, and i didn't care at all that it is an all female environment. And at the end of the day, cambridge is cambridge, whether you go to kings or newnham, you're still part of it. by the way, im doing maths, so unless step is piss easy to everyone else, its not exactly a walk in the park!
    han
    Well said! I'm glad there is someone to help me get that point accross. At the end of the day, I'm taking the subject I love and Newnham was the only college I visited in which I felt completely relaxed and at home. I'm going to be at the Taunton fresher party, will I see you there Han?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    Well the best of luck to you. The strongest piece of advice I can give is choose the subject and college that you feel most at home with. You will be far more likely to interview well and enjoy your time there. Congrats on your GCSEs btw - a stunning performance!
    Thank you. I hope they are biased towards the children of Cambridge graduates!!

Good luck next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Thank you. I hope they are biased towards the children of Cambridge graduates!!

Good luck next year
    Cheers. Officially whether your parents went there shouldn't make a difference. Unofficially they will know that you have a gene pool with potential

If faced with two people, both with firsts, one having done PPE, the other SPS, it will more likely come down to other factors, such as activities, perceived intelligence and personality.
    Employers will much prefer PPE at Oxford as there is Economics in the title. Not so many businesses want politics, sociologists or social anthropologists.

(Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    Social and Political Science.. It's a really flexible degree because you can swap around your modules with the Tripos scheme, so you could end up with a degree incorporating Land Economy!

I'm doing my ASs at the moment too Results day soon.. arghh!!
    Very few get to change. Employers look for something more applied than social anthropology or sociology, like in SPS at Cambridge.

(Original post by Haz)
    Yes, as soon as I read about the course I knew it was for me. I nearly did SPS though and I believe there's an opportunity to share papers between those 2 courses. There are about 357 SPS applications per year and 100 acceptances. You should seriously consider it - it seems more progressive than PPE to me.
    There were over 500 applications to SPS last year, accepted just 1 in 5. That is one of the worst ratios! Terrorism etc seems to attract candidates, but if you are concerned about a job, find something more employable!

(Original post by Haz)
    Yes, and if I was offered any college I would still choose it despite the lack of men. I visited quite a few others and just didn't feel at home where as Newnham felt right from the start. BTW the year I applied New Hall and Girton had less applications than Newn
    Yes on the Cambrdige web site there is a table showing number of applicants per college, but this is just the average 1999-01. And the idea has been to funnel students into less popular colleges, and it is working brilliantly, at least for Girton where I am (had as many applications per place as Christs since!). I wouldn't much use these stats at all as a guide - go with your heart! If you seem to share a special affinity witha college, trust it. And if you consider yourself good, don't fear applying to any college. Best of all, visit!

ReputationRep:
    Right anyone want any advice from a Cam student can ask me some stuff. I don't promise that the advice will be good, but I'll do my best.

ReputationRep:
    There were over 500 applications to SPS last year, accepted just 1 in 5. That is one of the worst ratios! Terrorism etc seems to attract candidates, but if you are concerned about a job, find something more employable!
    SPS gets very bad reviews compared to PPS in Oxford. Just read some of the links below from the Cambridge Varsity newspaper. Problems getting supervisions, few want to do the sociology or the psychology courses, bad coordination between departments, etc... Clearly this young SPS tripos has difficulty finding its path. Yet last year there 500 applicants for 100 places... much worse ratio than other faculties. So I've decided against applying to SPS. Can anyone recommend a good politics degree in another university?

SPSed Off
    http://www.varsity.cam.ac.uk/8025694...orechaosin.hml
    SPS Tripos about to "CRACK"
    http://www.varsity.cam.ac.uk/8025694...IPOSABOUT.html

ReputationRep:
    PPS or PPE?

By the way, the first link doesn't work.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    PPS or PPE?
    By the way, the first link doesn't work.
    Ooops here is the link to the "SPSed off article" (great title)
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.varsity.cam.ac.uk/8025694E0073CFEB/Pages/2712000_Morechaosin.html&e=1102& mr=65,!2G1_/4b_U:qlp_3

And here is what the QAA says, the government watchdog
    Several unis got top marks... not Cambridge, precisely for what Varsity articles say, bad management and coordinaton. A list of those getting straight As (bottom of page) reveals many other well known names like Oxford, King's College London, etc.
    http://www.qaa.ac.uk/revreps/subjrev...1_textonly.htm
    Destroys my illusions. Just goes to show you, buyers beware! Reputations can change! I read in my econ history that Technische Universität in Charlottenburg Berlin used to be considered the best Uni in the world. Not so any more!

ReputationRep:
    ppe at oxford is easily the best course
    sps sucks (at least i imagine it would lol)

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.