This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Ok, as a Med. student you should perhaps give your choice of college more consideration than most - you might b there longer than other undergrads! Visit loads. Do u like the atmosphere, do u feel at home with the students, that sort of thing. You'll have a lot of competition for Med places so unless you're really confident I wouldn't go for Colleges which receive huge numbers of applications for that subject eg. Pembroke & Corpus Christi - check out the stats in the back of ur prospectus.

I applied after my A' levels to read Archaeology and Anthropology - a newly discovered passion of mine! I got AAB which they really grilled me about at interview. My school messed up the papers for the later subject but they didn't really care about that. They wanted to see that I had further potential and was genuinely interested in the subject - which I proved. I wrote 2 essays on the subject, which helped, but you'll have to sit an MVAT I think - so be prepared - get ur school science dept. 2 help u! Have u taken ur A2s yet?
Corpus doesnt recieve alot of applications for medicine
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Surfing Hamster)
Trinity's a beautiful college - the richest in Cambridge, too! You'll never be a poor student if you study there
Whereever did you get this idea from!?! I love it how so many people come up with this crud. It's utterly wrong, and dangerously misleading, because people get in and then expect to get all this cash...and it doesn't happen!
Under the newton trust, all colleges get bursaries for poorer students - if u get full student loan and pay no tuition fees you can expect £1000 per year from the trust.
Most colleges have travel grants for the summer vacation. Because trinity is so rich, it can give alot more grants out...but its still PROPORTIONALLY the same amount of the applicants to recieves them as most other places.

What i will say is some places are poor. The new colleges, and increasingly St Johns (they had huge budget deficits last year) are cutting back prizes (for getting firsts), book grants and travel grants.

The newton trust tho will never be cut back. it's inherently stabilised by it's huge size
Jamie
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SloanerF1)
Robinson's the newest (Est. 1980), and it's very modern and relaxed but with a courtyard design. I'm hoping to go there in October (to read Law). The accomodation's very modern too. The drawback is that it's not a *historic* college and wouldn't have a reputation for any particular subject.

Anyone interested in applying to Oxbridge should look at http://www.oxbridge-info.co.uk - an independent site with profiles of applicant interview experiences.
I was originally going to apply to robinsons. Changed my mind when i saw the place though. Aside from the ugliness of it, it's basically in the middle of a load of council estates. geasy fiestas et al
Jamie
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
Hi Saph,
I don't know much about St George's but King's and Imperial are both very prestigious. I don't think an entrance exam is required for King's College London although you should check! However, don't let the Cambridge MVAT put you off - if you have achieved top grades and feel that you will benefit from Cambridge you should be fine with the exam. The interviews will then be the deciding factor. What have you got to lose by applying? You should perhaps consider Bristol and Durham (a collegiate university rather like Cambridge) as well.
I have friends at Durham, and they say its awsome - like cambridge and oxford but with a better (because northerners can) nightlife. It has been mentioned that some of the inner colleges are a bit 'raaa' (never been myself so can't objectively comment) and that they say 'Doxbridge', classing themselves as part of a trio with oxbridge. Silly really, cos then it should really by ipmoxbridge or loxbridge or some such like
J
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
It is odd it is almost like saying 'we're way above the other unis so you can only apply to one of us,' which is odd as other unis get closer to oxbridge all the time.
I think it's because unlike Nottingham they're honest. If you were apply to both, then you know that they are going to be critical. Universities prefer it if you want desperately to go to their uni above all others.
Nottingham on the other hand doesn't actually have a formal decleration saying just how narky they are about accepting anyone who has applied to oxbridge. they damn well are though!
gits
Jamie
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
lol, yes and no. They all share the same faculties so teaching will be the same wherever u end up. However, some aquire a reputation for certain subjects eg. Caius for law. The only way that this will really affect you is that some colleges receive more applications than others in a certain subjects. Corpus and Pembroke take many applications for med and Caius not so many. As I said, being a mature student you need to check with the admissions office what colleges (if all of them!) to consider.
AHHH you're at it again! What are you chatting about!!! Caius has more applications for medicine than Corpus and Pembroke put together! Cauis is the medical college. It has 28 medics on average per year, compared with the second highest - Johns which has about 13 per year!
Jamie
DanMushMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
AHHH you're at it again! What are you chatting about!!! Caius has more applications for medicine than Corpus and Pembroke put together! Cauis is the medical college. It has 28 medics on average per year, compared with the second highest - Johns which has about 13 per year!
Jamie
some people just make up crap don't they?
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
some people just make up crap don't they?
Hmmm, what a troubling post. Can't figure out the tone of it...Damn the internet! Bring back face to face
J
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Hmmm, what a troubling post. Can't figure out the tone of it...Damn the internet! Bring back face to face
J
wasn't talking 'bout u. What subject are you doing this year?
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
cambridge smells of cheese
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by edders)
cambridge smells of cheese
that's a good point, well argued and articulated.
not1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
that's a good point, well argued and articulated.
thanks
oxford rules. if there was a fight between the students of oxford and cambridge, oxford would win.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thanks
oxford rules. if there was a fight between the students of oxford and cambridge, oxford would win.
Just in case, I was taking the piss. Anyway, cheese smells nice, and Cam smells very nice at the mo.
not1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just in case, I was taking the piss. Anyway, cheese smells nice, and Cam smells very nice at the mo.
you were taking the piss? :confused:
im going to cry now, i take everything literally...
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you were taking the piss? :confused:
im going to cry now, i take everything literally...
In all seriousness, there are too many f*cking tourists about. They're all supposed to be gone, but trying to cycle to Sainsbury's today! How many people just cross the road assuming I'll stop for them?! This is the time when Cam isn't really a good place to be.
not1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In all seriousness, there are too many f*cking tourists about. They're all supposed to be gone, but trying to cycle to Sainsbury's today! How many people just cross the road assuming I'll stop for them?! This is the time when Cam isn't really a good place to be.
tourists at this time of year? that must be a pain in the ass. i thought term doesnt start until like october anyway tho...
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
tourists at this time of year? that must be a pain in the ass. i thought term doesnt start until like october anyway tho...
yeah, me = idiot = resits.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thanks
No way! The Cambridge students would out-wit the Oxford students.
not1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah, me = idiot = resits.
ah bad luck man
i know someone going to your college to do medicine this year, you should look out for shes quite fit
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ah bad luck man
i know someone going to your college to do medicine this year, you should look out for shes quite fit
do we have a name? I've got the list of new medics.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.32%
No (597)
65.68%

Watched Threads