?
Report 16 years ago
Glad I could help.
What course ya looking at?

Phil
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
As this thread is titled Cambridge I can tell you that accommodation at Trinity in first year is either in Wolfsons or Blue Boar Courts. Wolfson was built in the 60's and is a concrete monolith. The only recently built accommodation (late 80's) is Burrells Fields which is for 2nd years. You can have rooms in Great Court (15th century) after first year if you are what is called a scholar (i.e. top students based on end of year exams) but that privilege is for one year only.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You wouldn't by any chance be studying at trinity would you? Jiust a wild guess. What are you studying?

Phil
Surfing Hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by PHIL
Glad I could help.
What course ya looking at?

Phil
I'm looking into Law - I've got some work experience lined up with a court/solicitors. I was originally thinking about SPS, but after a lecture by some French guy at Cambridge compared with the Law lecture it's got me wondering..

I don't think I'm applying until 2004, though; I'm not sure what's right for me yet!

You?
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm looking at hopefully economics and management at Oxford (possibly Pembroke) for entry in 2004, as have just done ASs, however, not sure I'm good enough, but I'm gonna try anyway. What is SPS?

Phil
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Social and Political Science.. It's a really flexible degree because you can swap around your modules with the Tripos scheme, so you could end up with a degree incorporating Land Economy!

I'm doing my ASs at the moment too Results day soon.. arghh!!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
21 days. I h8 this wait so much. It wasn't ab bad for GCSE, cause it wasn't as important, as all I needed was to get 5 above c out of 10, so it was pretty stress free.

Phil
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't worry 2 much though, you can always re-take!
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, but its soooo much better having got it right first time. Retakes cause complications, and face it you're much more likely to be happy if on results day everything is perfect. Wishful thinking. *sigh*.
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Does he like it there, and does he have accomodation there for all 3 years?

Phil
He loves the town...he's the sort of person that isn't really bothered about decor etc- it's got good facilities etc so he's happy. Uni has really changed him as before he used to be quite unsociable- he had friends etc etc but he wouldn't really want to go out to parties and get togethers...but when he's at uni he goes out most nights with his RPG society thing

Accomodation is only provided for the first year. For the second- this one coming, you have to find your own housing. He is renting a house with a few friends and other students. For the third year I think there is the option to stay on campus again or keep other rented accomodation...however the college rooms are much cheaper I think so he'll porb go back there...

Anyway...hope that's of some vague help.

Egan
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cheers. I know some oxford colleges offer accomodation for the duration, so was curious. Glad to hear that he likes it.

Phil
saphenous
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I am glad to see this thread is doing well. Does it make a difference which college in Cambridge you pick?
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, like at oxford, different collges are either better or worse in certain subjects, are more or less competitive to get into, and have different standards of accomodation, and atmosphere.

Phil
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
different collges are either better or worse in certain subjects, are more or less competitive to get into, and have different standards of accomodation, and atmosphere.
and better/worse locations etc etc etc
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
True, cause I wanna go to a college near the centre of Oxford for choice, so its less of a distance to stumble home from the pub to.

Phil
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
True, cause I wanna go to a college near the centre of Oxford for choice, so its less of a distance to stumble home from the pub to.
or the fabled ice-cream parlour :P
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You know it.

Phil
whitefire
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Does it make a difference which college in Cambridge you pick?
Another important thing is the cost of the May ball tickets. They're all pretty expensive, but places like St John's (o'course) are the worst (although they do do punts filled with ice and champagne bottles).. I was talking to one of the guys at the punting and King's is something like £180 a ticket this year. The smaller ones like Robinson and Girton are less expensive.

An vital factor money-wise!

And.. if you're planning to be out late, go to Clare: even if the porter there won't let you in (or will report you), Kings is much easier to get into and there's a window in the court at Kings that will get you into Clare college! (source: my dad, who did use it once or twice)

Jess x
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's a point. what time do most oxford colleges close at night?

Phil
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just asked my brother for ye'- he says there's not a 'be back by this time' sort of thing- well definatly not at his. The different colleges may lock up at various times- but his doesn't at all...and apparently everyone is given keys to their college.
He has been out all night etc without problems...

Egan
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (157)
13.25%
Excited (106)
8.95%
Worried (217)
18.31%
Terrified (276)
23.29%
Meh (94)
7.93%
Confused (32)
2.7%