cambridge Watch

This discussion is closed.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That's what I thought, cause when I went on the open day, stayed out to about 3am, and had no problem getting back in, cause every1 was given a key to get into the college. I wasn't sure if this was just for the open day though.

Thanks for preventing me from worrying about that, and thank your brother for me.

Phil
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not a problem...if I can alleviate any more lingering worries/queries about oxford life then I'll try and pry more info out of him...

Really hope you get in

Egan
Xpander
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
I was seriously thinking of doing an open application to cambridge. I know that trinity college but I think most,if not all colleges, at cambridge are of excellent accomodation, transportation and education standards.
What do you think?
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks Egan, did your brother make an open application, or did he specify a college? Are you looking at oxford also?

Phil
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Could those who are interested in Oxford please start a new thread under that title as I am interested in Cambridge but keep seeing most of the posts in this thread relate to Oxford!
Don't take offense as there is none intended, it's just that the thread is a misnomer.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sorry, didn't mean to, but will start new thread as you advise, so any1 wishing to answer the oxford related posts see the new thread called oxford.

Phil
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes...appologies all!

*picks up her tent and moves away*
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by Xpander
I was seriously thinking of doing an open application to cambridge. I know that trinity college but I think most,if not all colleges, at cambridge are of excellent accomodation, transportation and education standards.
What do you think?
I think that's true also. Obviously some colleges get better results than others (Christ's is one of the best, if I remember right), but that's not saying the others aren't good. Whichever college you get allocated to, you'll find likeminded people and everyone is gonna be excellent academically. Also, quite a few of the colleges are quite close together in the centre of the town (again, if I remember right.. not been there for ages), so you don't have to worry about differences in the transportation. Another thing is Cambridge is quite a small place anyway . Hope that helps a bit.
kat
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hi!
im thinking of cambridge too! i would love to go there! i want to study music at trinity and i have recently sent all my application forms off as i am applying for a choral scolarship where the forms have to be in extra early! good point about the seperate oxford and cambridge threads! will anyone actually do anywork prior to the interview? because i would't realy know what to do!
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by kat
hi!
im thinking of cambridge too! i would love to go there! i want to study music at trinity and i have recently sent all my application forms off as i am applying for a choral scolarship where the forms have to be in extra early!
Trinity's a beautiful college - the richest in Cambridge, too! You'll never be a poor student if you study there
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Kat did you go to the trinity college open day for music? Sorry just a guess that I may know you, because i saw someone who also wanted to do music at trinity!!!

Surfing Hamster, I didn't know that the students get advantaged personally by the college being rich?? I just thought it was so that they could splash out on facilities (big library etc)

As for open applications, i would never do that because in my case, being a female i'd probably be put in an all-girls college!! Or something like Churchill which i think is ugly or Girton which is too far away. And Christ's as far as I know is lovely but it's the college that puts students through most stress by setting them ridiculous workloads; it's also very hard to get in - no wonder it is so good academically.
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by Adhsur

Surfing Hamster, I didn't know that the students get advantaged personally by the college being rich?? I just thought it was so that they could splash out on facilities (big library etc)
Trinity has it's own bursary programme for its students, although people in other colleges can apply for it too. If you're in any financial difficulty, they'll always help! That's why they don't allow you to work in term time - they'd rather give you the money.

I know a graduate at Trinity who studied Ethology. She told me the college virtually "threw money at her". This especially applies if you're from a poorer background.

I'm sure all colleges offer a similar funding programme though, so don't be put off of going to other colleges

Her room was really really nice, too; she had two separate rooms: One very large 'living room' the size of two of those you'd find in other Universities looking out onto the courtyard, and a separate bedroom with sink (it may have had a shower too but I can't remember).

Apparently the accommodation for the other years was really nice too

The facilities in the college are some of the nicest, too; I'd say it was one of the richest in culture, with the great library housing original works by AA Wells (I think! I'm not too good with names! ). Beware though.. There's an eccentric elderly woman who works in the Great library who almost had a seizure when I tried to smuggle a drink in!!

kat
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well i went to the choral sco;aiships day at cambridge back in may , did you go to any open day, i was told then that trinity was rich too (although thats not why i want to go -down to having the best choir1)
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by saphenous)
Hi,
anyone applying to cambridge? which colleges? how hard is it to get in?
Hi Saphenous, I applied to Cambridge last year and got in. You don't need to worry too much about what college, at the end of the day you'll be mixing with students from all over the uni anyway. However some put a very strong emphasis on academic achievement and others encourage students to excel in broader uni life eg sports & societies.

As for getting in, from what I've seen they aren't trying to trip u up, just give u a chance to show individual potential. I went to an average state school and got less than perfect A level results - you don't have to get 5 As! What subject do u want to study?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
Hi Saphenous, I applied to Cambridge last year and got in. You don't need to worry too much about what college, at the end of the day you'll be mixing with students from all over the uni anyway. However some put a very strong emphasis on academic achievement and others encourage students to excel in broader uni life eg sports & societies.

As for getting in, from what I've seen they aren't trying to trip u up, just give u a chance to show individual potential. I went to an average state school and got less than perfect A level results - you don't have to get 5 As! What subject do u want to study?
What did you get for your A-levels, and what do you study?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)

Hi Haz,
maybe u can give me some application tips? I don't know which college to apply to--how could I decide? I will be applying for undergraduate medicine.

Thanks.
saphenous
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Hi Haz,
maybe u can give me some application tips? I don't know which college to apply to--how could I decide? I will be applying for undergraduate medicine.

Thanks.

Sorry Haz---this was saphenous except I accidently got logged in as unregistered guest.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Hi Haz,

Thanks.
Ok, as a Med. student you should perhaps give your choice of college more consideration than most - you might b there longer than other undergrads! Visit loads. Do u like the atmosphere, do u feel at home with the students, that sort of thing. You'll have a lot of competition for Med places so unless you're really confident I wouldn't go for Colleges which receive huge numbers of applications for that subject eg. Pembroke & Corpus Christi - check out the stats in the back of ur prospectus.

I applied after my A' levels to read Archaeology and Anthropology - a newly discovered passion of mine! I got AAB which they really grilled me about at interview. My school messed up the papers for the later subject but they didn't really care about that. They wanted to see that I had further potential and was genuinely interested in the subject - which I proved. I wrote 2 essays on the subject, which helped, but you'll have to sit an MVAT I think - so be prepared - get ur school science dept. 2 help u! Have u taken ur A2s yet?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Ok, as a Med. student you should perhaps give your choice of college more consideration than most - you might b there longer than other undergrads! Visit loads. Do u like the atmosphere, do u feel at home with the students, that sort of thing. You'll have a lot of competition for Med places so unless you're really confident I wouldn't go for Colleges which receive huge numbers of applications for that subject eg. Pembroke & Corpus Christi - check out the stats in the back of ur prospectus.

I applied after my A' levels to read Archaeology and Anthropology - a newly discovered passion of mine! I got AAB which they really grilled me about at interview. My school messed up the papers for the later subject but they didn't really care about that. They wanted to see that I had further potential and was genuinely interested in the subject - which I proved. I wrote 2 essays on the subject, which helped, but you'll have to sit an MVAT I think - so be prepared - get ur school science dept. 2 help u! Have u taken ur A2s yet?
Sorry Saphenous, this (above) was Haz, I too managed to log in as unregistered. Let me know about your A2s - it makes a big difference esp. with colleges.
saphenous
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Sorry Saphenous, this (above) was Haz, I too managed to log in as unregistered. Let me know about your A2s - it makes a big difference esp. with colleges.

Hi Haz,
i am a north american applicant. Sent in all my grades to admissions who told me I could apply. No a2's but maybe you can help me with the application process anyway.do all cambridge applicants get interviewed? Who decides who gets in? I was thinking about wolfson college--what do u think?
I hear getting in to medicine as a north american applicant is impossible-I am wondering why do they tell me to apply ?

Thanks.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (123)
18.44%
No (403)
60.42%
Not really bothered about them (141)
21.14%

Watched Threads