This discussion is closed.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think most applicants get interviewed; if you don't get an interview you're rejected straight away (I think, not 100% sure).
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
I think most applicants get interviewed; if you don't get an interview you're rejected straight away (I think, not 100% sure).
they interview everyone who they think is good enough and choose who they want after the interview. If you don't get an interview, you are rejected.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by saphenous)
Hi Haz,
i am a north american applicant. Sent in all my grades to admissions who told me I could apply. No a2's but maybe you can help me with the application process anyway.do all cambridge applicants get interviewed? Who decides who gets in? I was thinking about wolfson college--what do u think?
I hear getting in to medicine as a north american applicant is impossible-I am wondering why do they tell me to apply ?

Thanks.
They get quite a few overseas applications and if they advised you to apply I should think you'd get an interview. If getting here's a problem you can contact the admissions office and talk about it - I believe they do offer alternatives.

Usually Medicine applicants are required to sit an exam set by the university but again you should check if this applies to you. Traditionally the Med. Director of studies for your college will review your statement (a section on the application form where you write about yourself and your interest in your subject), your reference, your interviews and any written work you completed for them when deciding whether to offer you a place. If your chosen college does not offer you a place you might receive an offer from another college.

Wolfson is a graduate college although it does admit some mature (aged over 21 I think) undergraduates. BTW how old are you and where are you from in America?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
They get quite a few overseas applications and if they advised you to apply I should think you'd get an interview. If getting here's a problem you can contact the admissions office and talk about it - I believe they do offer alternatives.

Usually Medicine applicants are required to sit an exam set by the university but again you should check if this applies to you. Traditionally the Med. Director of studies for your college will review your statement (a section on the application form where you write about yourself and your interest in your subject), your reference, your interviews and any written work you completed for them when deciding whether to offer you a place. If your chosen college does not offer you a place you might receive an offer from another college.

Wolfson is a graduate college although it does admit some mature (aged over 21 I think) undergraduates. BTW how old are you and where are you from in America?
A friend of a friend who is American is going to Oxford. She had hew interview in New York.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
A friend of a friend who is American is going to Oxford. She had hew interview in New York.
Yes, I heard they sometimes interview in the applicant's own country. It's a good thing too really - if it were me I would be would be so stressed out from travelling I'm sure it would damage my interview performance. My journey lasted 5 hours - suddenly it doesn't seem so bad! Will you apply to Oxbridge when the time comes? P.s Your sig. line is disgusting
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
Yes, I heard they sometimes interview in the applicant's own country. It's a good thing too really - if it were me I would be would be so stressed out from travelling I'm sure it would damage my interview performance. My journey lasted 5 hours - suddenly it doesn't seem so bad! Will you apply to Oxbridge when the time comes? P.s Your sig. line is disgusting
I want to do PPE and as Cambridge don't offer this I will apply to Oxford. However other good universities such as York, Durham, Warwick and I think Nottingham offer this course so if I don't get into Oxford, I should get into a good uni. The usual offer for PPE is AAB, which seems acheivable so it all comes down to the interview and Oxford PPE exam.

But there are three years until I start uni, so I have plenty of time to think about it
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I want to do PPE and as Cambridge don't offer this I will apply to Oxford. However other good universities such as York, Durham, Warwick and I think Nottingham offer this course so if I don't get into Oxford, I should get into a good uni. The usual offer for PPE is AAB, which seems acheivable so it all comes down to the interview and Oxford PPE exam.

But there are three years until I start uni, so I have plenty of time to think about it
Look at SPS ( http://www.sps.cam.ac.uk ). It's similar to PPE, but a lot more interesting. Everyone I know who's doing PPE at Oxford has said that they thought SPS would be a lot cooler. Some of the logic options on PPE suck. Seriously, SPS is cool. Do it.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Look at SPS ( http://www.sps.cam.ac.uk ). It's similar to PPE, but a lot more interesting. Everyone I know who's doing PPE at Oxford has said that they thought SPS would be a lot cooler. Some of the logic options on PPE suck. Seriously, SPS is cool. Do it.
I heard that employers don't regard SPS as highly as they do PPE.
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My brother is doing PPE at Oxford...(sorry...perhaps we should head over to the Oxford thread as last time I managed to sway the thread over- oops!) -I am sure he had to get AAA rather than AAB but I might well be wrong...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I heard that employers don't regard SPS as highly as they do PPE.
Perhaps not, but I doubt that it will really matter. I don't think that a prospective employer will really incorporate the degree as a factor in their decision. If faced with two people, both with firsts, one having done PPE, the other SPS, it will more likely come down to other factors, such as activities, perceived intelligence and personality.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
My brother is doing PPE at Oxford...(sorry...perhaps we should head over to the Oxford thread as last time I managed to sway the thread over- oops!) -I am sure he had to get AAA rather than AAB but I might well be wrong...
Some have to get AAA but quite a lot are offered AAB, possibly depending on A-level subjects. That's the impressio I got on This
saphenous
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Haz)

Hey Haz,
Thanks for all the info--I was looking at wolfson because i am over 21 years of age. In medicine there is a gep program, affiliated program, and mature program. Does that mean I am only competing for a place in the specific program I applied for. Can they accept you without interviewing?
I guess I might have to fly up there for the interview--but i think it is worth it--don't you agree? Which are the really competitve colleges to get into(in cambridge)?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey Haz,
Thanks for all the info--I was looking at wolfson because i am over 21 years of age. In medicine there is a gep program, affiliated program, and mature program. Does that mean I am only competing for a place in the specific program I applied for. Can they accept you without interviewing?
I guess I might have to fly up there for the interview--but i think it is worth it--don't you agree? Which are the really competitve colleges to get into(in cambridge)?
It is very unlikely that they will accept people without an interview. They turn down people with all A/A*s at GCSE, four As at AS-level and three As predicted at A-level just because they weren't impressed bty their interview. I'm not sure as far as medicine goes, but colleges like Emmanuel, Chrisit's, Trinity and King's are hard to get into. An open application always seems sensible to me. Is there any disadvantage of having an open application?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
It is very unlikely that they will accept people without an interview. They turn down people with all A/A*s at GCSE, four As at AS-level and three As predicted at A-level just because they weren't impressed bty their interview. I'm not sure as far as medicine goes, but colleges like Emmanuel, Chrisit's, Trinity and King's are hard to get into. An open application always seems sensible to me. Is there any disadvantage of having an open application?
Yes, you if you do an open application you will end up at Girton. BIG disadvantage. If you want you catch a flight from Birmingham International Airport everday into the town centre.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, you if you do an open application you will end up at Girton. BIG disadvantage. If you want you catch a flight from Birmingham International Airport everday into the town centre.
But at least Girton is an Cambridge college, therefore an Cambridge degree. If someone applies to a particular college you run the risk of not getting in despite being better than applicants who got in through other colleges.

If that makes sense.
mjg
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i applied but didnt get an interview so was angry cos they wasted my time!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
But at least Girton is an Cambridge college, therefore an Cambridge degree. If someone applies to a particular college you run the risk of not getting in despite being better than applicants who got in through other colleges.

If that makes sense.
That's what lots of people calculate. I really would just choose a college that you like - not a hot one, but a mediocre one - you have a much better chance of getting in.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's what lots of people calculate. I really would just choose a college that you like - not a hot one, but a mediocre one - you have a much better chance of getting in.
Though I am only 15, I want to do PPE at uni. And being ambitious and clever (and modest) I feel I owe it to myself to at least apply to Oxford. But the idea of colleges is worrying because I just want to go to Oxford, I don't care which college.

PS I realise this is a Cambridge thread but I'm going to talk about Oxford anyway.
saphenous
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago

so does choice of college affect whether you get into cambridge? I guess some luck involved?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
so does choice of college affect whether you get into cambridge? I guess some luck involved?
Yes, if you go for a really good college you run the risk of not getting in. If you submit an open application to Cambridge and you are female, you'll probably be allocated St Hildas, so unless you are a lesbian or don't want a relationship, that wouldn't be a good thing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.1%
No (603)
65.9%

Watched Threads