Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    What's the newest in Cambridge?
    Robinson's the newest (Est. 1980), and it's very modern and relaxed but with a courtyard design. I'm hoping to go there in October (to read Law). The accomodation's very modern too. The drawback is that it's not a *historic* college and wouldn't have a reputation for any particular subject.

Anyone interested in applying to Oxbridge should look at http://www.oxbridge-info.co.uk - an independent site with profiles of applicant interview experiences.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Yes, if you go for a really good college you run the risk of not getting in. If you submit an open application to Cambridge and you are female, you'll probably be allocated St Hildas, so unless you are a lesbian or don't want a relationship, that wouldn't be a good thing.
    You are such a fifteen year-old.

If you want to apply to Cambridge, I wouldn't spend time worrying over the college you choose. The best thing to do is to go there and see which college suits you.
    If you are thinking; "Which college is the easiest to get into?", you are missing the point, and are obviously not confident in your intelligence/ ability at chosen subject.

I applied to Trinity because it was my favourite of those I visited, not because I thought it was the easiest to get into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjg)
    i applied but didnt get an interview so was angry cos they wasted my time!!
    You got EUU at AS-level. I don't think Cambridge would accept that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    You are such a fifteen year-old.

If you want to apply to Cambridge, I wouldn't spend time worrying over the college you choose. The best thing to do is to go there and see which college suits you.
    If you are thinking; "Which college is the easiest to get into?", you are missing the point, and are obviously not confident in your intelligence/ ability at chosen subject.

I applied to Trinity because it was my favourite of those I visited, not because I thought it was the easiest to get into.
    I appreciate that but some people just want to go to Cambridge rather than a particular college. In that case it may be wise to make an open application.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you go for a really good college you run the risk of not getting in. If you submit an open application to Cambridge and you are female, you'll probably be allocated St Hildas, so unless you are a lesbian or don't want a relationship, that wouldn't be a good thing.

Highly unlikely that she will end up at St Hildas because that's an Oxford College. Also after having visited many Cambridge colleges I decided to apply to Newnham, which is one of 3 single sex colleges. I am not gay and I may well want a relationship! While I had not originally intended to apply to a single sex college I found I preferred it to my original choices. You should see whether you feel genuinely at home in a college and not make a decision based on purely tactical considerations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saphenous)
    Hey Haz,
    Thanks for all the info--I was looking at wolfson because i am over 21 years of age. In medicine there is a gep program, affiliated program, and mature program. Does that mean I am only competing for a place in the specific program I applied for. Can they accept you without interviewing?
    I guess I might have to fly up there for the interview--but i think it is worth it--don't you agree? Which are the really competitve colleges to get into(in cambridge)?
    As a mature student your choice of college may be limited and the issue of 'competitive colleges' is less relevant. You should really decide whether you feel at home in a college. I believe Wolfson, St Edmunds, and Lucy Cavendish admit mature students for medicine - you'll have to check with the university admissions office (e-mail:[email protected]) for more details on individual college policies on mature applicants.

If you haven't already, visit the uni website: www.cam.ac.uk you can order a prospectus on-line and the site has details on the subjects and colleges. And yes, it's certainly worth it - world class teaching and Cambridge is just beautiful. I was thrilled when I won my place. Out of interest though, have you considered Ivy-league universities as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    Highly unlikely that she will end up at St Hildas because that's an Oxford College. Also after having visited many Cambridge colleges I decided to apply to Newnham, which is one of 3 single sex colleges. I am not gay and I may well want a relationship! While I had not originally intended to apply to a single sex college I found I preferred it to my original choices. You should see whether you feel genuinely at home in a college and not make a decision based on purely tactical considerations.
    Nothing wrong with lesbianism. Oxford uni was also being talked about on this thread so I must have got confused :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I heard that employers don't regard SPS as highly as they do PPE.
    I had originally wanted to study PPE at Oxford but I heard reports of it being relentless and uninspiring. So then I turned my attention to Cambridge and SPS. I don't believe employers favour PPE in general, although if your chosen career is in economics... You might have heard of 'Sociology' being dismissed by more traditional employers but SPS from Cambridge is as worthy as any other Oxbridge degree. I ended up doing Archaeology and Anthropology - 'philosophy with people in'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    I had originally wanted to study PPE at Oxford but I heard reports of it being relentless and uninspiring. So then I turned my attention to Cambridge and SPS. I don't believe employers favour PPE in general, although if your chosen career is in economics... You might have heard of 'Sociology' being dismissed by more traditional employers but SPS from Cambridge is as worthy as any other Oxbridge degree. I ended up doing Archaeology and Anthropology - 'philosophy with people in'!
    I like the idea of archaeology. Do lots of people apply to do SPS?

(Original post by Haz)
    Haz, which year are you in? I was in the Arch lectures last year - Bodenhorn, Hugh-Jones etc.

POST BACK.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of archaeology. Do lots of people apply to do SPS?
    Yes, as soon as I read about the course I knew it was for me. I nearly did SPS though and I believe there's an opportunity to share papers between those 2 courses. There are about 357 SPS applications per year and 100 acceptances. You should seriously consider it - it seems more progressive than PPE to me.

ReputationRep:
    Haz, which year are you in? I was in the Arch lectures last year - Bodenhorn, Hugh-Jones etc.

POST BACK.
    I'm on my gap year and start in October so I'm afraid I don't know anyone apart from Dr Hills and Dr Navaro-Yashin. I am really looking forward to it! What college & year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    As a mature student your choice of college may be limited and the issue of 'competitive colleges' is less relevant. You should really decide whether you feel at home in a college. I believe Wolfson, St Edmunds, and Lucy Cavendish admit mature students for medicine - you'll have to check with the university admissions office (e-mail:[email protected]) for more details on individual college policies on mature applicants.

If you haven't already, visit the uni website: www.cam.ac.uk you can order a prospectus on-line and the site has details on the subjects and colleges. And yes, it's certainly worth it - world class teaching and Cambridge is just beautiful. I was thrilled when I won my place. Out of interest though, have you considered Ivy-league universities as well?

Hey Haz,
    I am only looking at english schools--want to get and stay in the uk. Any advice on personal statement? How important are they? who reads them?(for Cambridge, of course)

Thanks, Saph

Hey Haz,
    I am only looking at english schools--want to get and stay in the uk. Any advice on personal statement? How important are they? who reads them?(for Cambridge, of course)

Thanks, Saph
    with regards to personal statements, I would say that they are one of the smaller parts of the application (when applying to Oxbridge). I would say most emphasis should be placed on the interview.
    This is the only time they get to see and "interrogate" you.
    The admissions tutor will read them and I guess the person or people that interview you will have read them.

(Original post by Haz)
    I'm on my gap year and start in October so I'm afraid I don't know anyone apart from Dr Hills and Dr Navaro-Yashin. I am really looking forward to it! What college & year are you in?
    Well, suffice to say that I'm in staring year 2 next term. If I told you my college it would it would mean you could find out who I was. Have fun though, it's a great course!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Haz,

Thanks, Saph
    The interview is the key bit and you use your personal statement to support that. It doesn't have to be a literary work of art but you should write in little 'hooks' - things that you want the interviewer to ask you about, your strengths and interests. If you're not confident enough to talk in detail about something, don't mention it. Don't forget that for medicine you'll have to sit an exam (MVAT), which will also be an important factor. Where else in England are you considering?

ReputationRep:
    Well, suffice to say that I'm in staring year 2 next term. If I told you my college it would it would mean you could find out who I was. Have fun though, it's a great course!
    Fair enough I'm glad it's a good course! How many lectures are there per week? Is there a huge amount of work? (People have been saying I won't emerge from under a pile of books for 3 years...)

(Original post by Haz)
    Fair enough I'm glad it's a good course! How many lectures are there per week? Is there a huge amount of work? (People have been saying I won't emerge from under a pile of books for 3 years...)
    I did SPS rather than Arch and Anth, but generally we had about 2 lectures per week for Anth. They're very interesting and fun, so if you can go it's worth it.

There's as much work as you want to do. You can do very little work if you wish - just the very minimum - but I personally felt that I wanted to do my work well and so I worked quite hard.

Seriously, if you don't do anything but work you'll go mad, so perhaps take it a little easy.

Join as many societies as you can and get as drunk as you can in the first term.

(Original post by Haz)
    Hmm I'm no expert but I did vaguely consider SPS at Cambridge when I was applying to uni but heard that it was a bit "mickey-mouse" (or as near as Cambridge is likely to get to it!). Whether this is true or not I don't know, and yes I know "mickey-mouse" is a loaded description these days but I wanted to pass on what I'd heard. I'm at Oxford now, I don't do PPE but loads of my friends do and I don't think the relentless and uninspiring description is true- yes its hard work but this is something that goes hand in hand with being at Oxbridge, and really there are so many possible combinations within the PPE course that it would be hard not to end up studying something in which you were interested. It is a very prestigious degree and to be honest, though SPS from Cambridge is not likely to close any doors to you if its the prestige and job advantages you want (which it might not be!) PPE might be a better option. Good luck deciding.

i would just like 2 say thanks to that person who put forward that internet add with profiles etc on. I found it very useful!

has anybody thought of what other unis they woul like 2 go 2?

im finding it very difficult as nothing can compare 2 cambridge!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2003

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.