The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
ooops that what me who just wrote that1 didnt really realise you had 2 sign in first!
Reply 121
Lord Huntroyde
I appreciate that but some people just want to go to Cambridge rather than a particular college. In that case it may be wise to make an open application.

I wouldn't make an open application because knowing them they'd probably put me in an all girls college miles away from the department!
Reply 122
Haz
The interview is the key bit and you use your personal statement to support that. It doesn't have to be a literary work of art but you should write in little 'hooks' - things that you want the interviewer to ask you about, your strengths and interests. If you're not confident enough to talk in detail about something, don't mention it. Don't forget that for medicine you'll have to sit an exam (MVAT), which will also be an important factor. Where else in England are you considering?

Hey Haz,
I'm also considering imperial, king's, and st.george's--know anything about them? I'm really worried about the BMAT!
SloanerF1
I'm hoping to go there in October (to read Law).

Hey! If I get my grades, I've got a place to read [don't groan I'm not gonnae be a priest] Theology at Robinson!! Maybe see you there!! :biggrin:
Unregistered
Hey! If I get my grades, I've got a place to read [don't groan I'm not gonnae be a priest] Theology at Robinson!! Maybe see you there!! :biggrin:

Why theology?
Unregistered
Hmm I'm no expert but I did vaguely consider SPS at Cambridge when I was applying to uni but heard that it was a bit "mickey-mouse" (or as near as Cambridge is likely to get to it!). Whether this is true or not I don't know, and yes I know "mickey-mouse" is a loaded description these days but I wanted to pass on what I'd heard. I'm at Oxford now, I don't do PPE but loads of my friends do and I don't think the relentless and uninspiring description is true- yes its hard work but this is something that goes hand in hand with being at Oxbridge, and really there are so many possible combinations within the PPE course that it would be hard not to end up studying something in which you were interested. It is a very prestigious degree and to be honest, though SPS from Cambridge is not likely to close any doors to you if its the prestige and job advantages you want (which it might not be!) PPE might be a better option. Good luck deciding.

I think because SPS is a fairly modern venture it is regarded with the same suspicion accorded to any new approach to traditional institutions. However, it’s a very popular course with a diverse range of students that leave with a multitude of highly coveted skills and a Cambridge degree to their name. I think PPE may be a particularly demanding course although as you say, many people thrive on it.

When I was considering my application I felt that being able to benefit socially and culturally as well as academically from the Oxbridge experience was really important, and chose a degree that supports this approach Archaeology and Anthropology. I’m on a gap year and will be starting at Cambridge next term. What subject did you decide upon after rejecting SPS? :smile:
saphenous
Hey Haz,
I'm also considering imperial, king's, and st.george's--know anything about them? I'm really worried about the BMAT!

Hi Saph,
I don't know much about St George's but King's and Imperial are both very prestigious. I don't think an entrance exam is required for King's College London although you should check! However, don't let the Cambridge MVAT put you off - if you have achieved top grades and feel that you will benefit from Cambridge you should be fine with the exam. The interviews will then be the deciding factor. What have you got to lose by applying? You should perhaps consider Bristol and Durham (a collegiate university rather like Cambridge) as well.
Reply 127
Haz
Hi Saph,
I don't know much about St George's but King's and Imperial are both very prestigious. I don't think an entrance exam is required for King's College London although you should check! However, don't let the Cambridge MVAT put you off - if you have achieved top grades and feel that you will benefit from Cambridge you should be fine with the exam. The interviews will then be the deciding factor. What have you got to lose by applying? You should perhaps consider Bristol and Durham (a collegiate university rather like Cambridge) as well.

Thanks Haz,
How does cambridge make their decisions about getting in? Is it just one person who decides or a whole group?
Unregistered
I did SPS rather than Arch and Anth, but generally we had about 2 lectures per week for Anth. They're very interesting and fun, so if you can go it's worth it.

There's as much work as you want to do. You can do very little work if you wish - just the very minimum - but I personally felt that I wanted to do my work well and so I worked quite hard.

Seriously, if you don't do anything but work you'll go mad, so perhaps take it a little easy.

Join as many societies as you can and get as drunk as you can in the first term.

lol - that's my plan! It's just that most people at my school don't know much about Oxbridge except to tell me (repeatedly) that the work is a nightmare. Actually, a key factor in my choosing Cambridge was that there are so many societies and opportunities to meet different people.

I think there's no point in going to a place like Cam if you're going to be locked away studying the whole time - you would miss out on much of what it has to offer...how's the night life? :smile:
Reply 129
So why is it that you are not allowed to apply to both Cambs & ox ?

do they give a specific reason?

:confused:

x

kizzie
Reply 130
kizzie
So why is it that you are not allowed to apply to both Cambs & ox ?

do they give a specific reason?

:confused:

x

kizzie

It is odd it is almost like saying 'we're way above the other unis so you can only apply to one of us,' which is odd as other unis get closer to oxbridge all the time.
Reply 131
Lord Huntroyde
It is odd it is almost like saying 'we're way above the other unis so you can only apply to one of us,' which is odd as other unis get closer to oxbridge all the time.

they are in name, everyone knows them, but i would HATE to go there... Birmingham does me fine, or Liverpool... its the first time i ever heard of that rule, and I was confused, still am. It just seems an odd thing for a Uni to say.

x

Kizzie
Reply 132
kizzie
they are in name, everyone knows them, but i would HATE to go there... Birmingham does me fine, or Liverpool... its the first time i ever heard of that rule, and I was confused, still am. It just seems an odd thing for a Uni to say.

x

Kizzie

What if one day Oxford are tenth and Cambridge re just in the top twenty? Will that rule still apply?
Reply 133
Lord Huntroyde
What if one day Oxford are tenth and Cambridge re just in the top twenty? Will that rule still apply?

heh
would be fun to see
but i doubt it will ever get to that, they get the most money out of people & are known internationally for being the best. it will take MANY MANY years to loose all that

x

kizzie
Reply 134
kizzie
heh
would be fun to see
but i doubt it will ever get to that, they get the most money out of people & are known internationally for being the best. it will take MANY MANY years to loose all that

x

kizzie

York are better than Oxford for teaching and LSE are better than Oxford for research. Based on the Sunday Times University Guide 2002
Reply 135
Lord Huntroyde
York are better than Oxford for teaching and LSE are better than Oxford for research. Based on the Sunday Times University Guide 2002

oh yes, i remember reading that teaching one the other day...
will still take time though, even with all that... all the rich parents and foriegn peopel will pay through the nose for the ox/cambs type places...

xx

Kizzie
Lord Huntroyde

According to most University Guides, Cambridge is still well ahead of the competition.
Reply 137
Unregistered
According to most University Guides, Cambridge is still well ahead of the competition.

I know, but it still seems an odd rule.
Reply 138
Haz
lol - that's my plan! It's just that most people at my school don't know much about Oxbridge except to tell me (repeatedly) that the work is a nightmare. Actually, a key factor in my choosing Cambridge was that there are so many societies and opportunities to meet different people.

I think there's no point in going to a place like Cam if you're going to be locked away studying the whole time - you would miss out on much of what it has to offer...how's the night life? :smile:

haz, are you there?
saphenous
haz, are you there?

Hi, yes - you will probably have two or three interviews, each with one or two people (although this varies from subject to subject.) They make notes and decide who to admit after they have reviewed all applicants' interviews, references, and in the case of Medicine, their entrance paper.

The whole process is daunting but it's over quickly and definitely worth a shot, trust me! Interviewers do try to encourage you to perform to the best of your ability and don't try to trip you up. Have you been in touch with the admissions office?

Latest

Trending

Trending