Do a lot of engineering employers use UCAS filters to screen out applicants? Watch

tinyflame
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

Just like the title says, I am worried that even though I can get an engineering degree, my bad A levels would hold me back in the long run?

Also for sandwich years, do they screen out applicants based on their ucas points or is it more variable?
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Very uncommon.
tinyflame
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
Very uncommon.
Good news, I also asked the unis about this and they said the same.

By the way Smack, I am in a bit of a dilemma, could you please give me some advise?

I have two clearing offers for University of Hull and De Montfort University.
I live in Birmingham and have a flexible zero hour contract job and De Montfort is in Leicester which is very close, so I only need to take a train to go to work part time at uni.

But on the other hand, Hull is slightly higher than De Montfort in the league tables for Mechanical Engineering. Is it really worth it going all the way to Hull (very far from Birmingham) and leave my job just because it is seen as a "better" uni than De Montfort? Or am I just being silly and that it's only accreditation/placement years that matters when it comes to choosing your engineering degree?

By the way both universities offer the same course, are both accredited and both offer placement years?

*I also have a plan B: Go to Hull and then come back to Birmingham in the summer holidays to work at the same job while staying at my relatives house (need their permission though still)
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tinyflame)
Good news, I also asked the unis about this and they said the same.

By the way Smack, I am in a bit of a dilemma, could you please give me some advise?

I have two clearing offers for University of Hull and De Montfort University.
I live in Birmingham and have a flexible zero hour contract job and De Montfort is in Leicester which is very close, so I only need to take a train to go to work part time at uni.

But on the other hand, Hull is slightly higher than De Montfort in the league tables for Mechanical Engineering. Is it really worth it going all the way to Hull (very far from Birmingham) and leave my job just because it is seen as a "better" uni than De Montfort? Or am I just being silly and that it's only accreditation/placement years that matters when it comes to choosing your engineering degree?

By the way both universities offer the same course, are both accredited and both offer placement years?

*I also have a plan B: Go to Hull and then come back to Birmingham in the summer holidays to work at the same job while staying at my relatives house (need their permission though still)
I dunno anything about Hull or De Montfort so can't really help, sorry. But I wouldn't base a decision on league tables since the only people who appear to be bothered by them are prospective students, some parents and university marketing staff.
tinyflame
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
I dunno anything about Hull or De Montfort so can't really help, sorry. But I wouldn't base a decision on league tables since the only people who appear to be bothered by them are prospective students, some parents and university marketing staff.
True, it's just that I'm trying to cover as much as possible before I decide where I will spend the next 4/5 years of my life so I don't end up having massive regret (unless I can transfer unis, which is not guaranteed anyways)

I'm basing my decision more on which university I would feel more at home at, or if I actually want to be in campus based uni like Hull.

It's a nerve racking decision, been looking for advise for about 3 days non stop now I think it's best if I just book a train to each uni and just have a feel of which one I like more
mizzsnazzter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tinyflame)
True, it's just that I'm trying to cover as much as possible before I decide where I will spend the next 4/5 years of my life so I don't end up having massive regret (unless I can transfer unis, which is not guaranteed anyways)

I'm basing my decision more on which university I would feel more at home at, or if I actually want to be in campus based uni like Hull.

It's a nerve racking decision, been looking for advise for about 3 days non stop now I think it's best if I just book a train to each uni and just have a feel of which one I like more
Whichever one means you'll move out of home and into halls...

Also from the sounds of it your zero hour contract is pretty non skills based so I'm sure you can find another one in whatever university town you go to

Posted from TSR Mobile
tinyflame
Rep:
?
(Original post by mizzsnazzter)
Whichever one means you'll move out of home and into halls...

Also from the sounds of it your zero hour contract is pretty non skills based so I'm sure you can find another one in whatever university town you go to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both, I will have to move out to De Montfort and Hull.
I could possibly try to stay at my house that I'm renting atm (£65 a week, very cheap), but am fed up with staying in my shared house mainly because of the other tenant upstairs who basically smokes hard drugs (I suspect it's crack) almost every, day even though she tries so hard to hide it and pretend to be normal. And my landlord is a c*nt.

So I would rather move out than stay at my house and commute to Leicester every day, which would probably cost the same as renting a £90 per week student room in Leicester (bus pass £17 + daily train tickets which can bring my weekly expenses to possibly about £100+)

On top of that even if I would save a lot of money by staying in my flat now, it just seems too depressing staying here as it would feel like going to college all over again, I would rather move out and start fresh in a new place and be close to uni rather than be detached from it. Besides, my room is too small for me to study in, I don't even have a desk.

Yep, my zero hour contract job is pretty much unskilled, but I'm just worried that I won't find agency work in Hull since it seems more like an isolated smaller city compared to Leicester?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby