The Student Room Group

Would you welcome the Old Firm into England?

Poll

Old Firm in the PL?

How would you lot feel about the Old Firm being allowed entry into the Premier League? Either by direct entry or working their way up the pyramid from the bottom? Or even a merge of the Scottish league with ours.

Plenty of pros and cons. It'd be exciting to see them playing English teams in a league setting. Rangers vs MU Super Sunday :cool:

For Villa it'd be bad as they'd be another threat to our success and our aim of trying to get back into Europe. But it would be entertaining to see them playing in the Premier League.

I've made a poll.

Scroll to see replies

Why would anyone want them given direct entry? It ****s over at least two English sides, and Rangers and Celtic with Premier League revenue would be challenging for the title within 5 years. They're bigger than anyone in England bar Arsenal, Liverpool and United.

They can start from the bottom if they want to join our league system. Won't ever happen though.
Original post by sr90
Why would anyone want them given direct entry? It ****s over at least two English sides, and Rangers and Celtic with Premier League revenue would be challenging for the title within 5 years. They're bigger than anyone in England bar Arsenal, Liverpool and United.

They can start from the bottom if they want to join our league system. Won't ever happen though.

Don't see why this is an issue.
Reply 3
Yeah would be banter when they get instantly relegated
Rangers don't exist any more. They died in 2012. Their tribute act, Sevco5088, play in the Scottish championship
Original post by Wilfred Little
Don't see why this is an issue.

Would make the top half even more of a closed shop than it already is. Everyone knew what the top six will be this season before a ball was even kicked, why make that even worse.

Plus, turkeys don't vote for Christmas. If this was 2010 and Villa were still pushing for top four every year would you have wanted them in?
Reply 6
Original post by sr90

You always say this and it's not true, or not guaranteed. Sunderland and Newcastle get 50k into their stadiums, Villa get 40+(?) and they're nowhere near the top 6. No player would ever want to live in ****ty Scotland, and location alone would mean that they'd be comfortable mid-table at best.
Firstly, Rangers were liquidated. So it isn't the Old Firm, it's Celtic and Sevco, later rebranded as 'Rangers'.

Secondly, run for your lives people of England! There's no need to inject sectarianism into the English Premier League. Although, it would be better if you took them. Competition could only help the Scottish Premiership.
Yeah I agree I don't think it's that cut and dry.

I would have no problem with them joining (at the bottom), we have Welsh teams afterall. But where would it leave the rest of the scottish league?
Original post by Depleted
You always say this and it's not true, or not guaranteed. Sunderland and Newcastle get 50k into their stadiums,Villa get 40+(?) and they're nowhere near the top 6. No player would ever want to live in ****ty Scotland, and location alone would mean that they'd be comfortable mid-table at best.

You really think that players from continental Europe/South America are keen to live in places like the Midlands, Manchester, Newcastle or Merseyside? They go wherever the money is.
You always say this and it's not true, or not guaranteed. Sunderland and Newcastle get 50k into their stadiums, Villa get 40+(?) and they're nowhere near the top 6. No player would ever want to live in ****ty Scotland, and location alone would mean that they'd be comfortable mid-table at best.

Rarely.

It's a 42k ground but average attendance is probably closer to 33/34k.
Absolutely not. For good or ill (probably mostly ill), the Old Firm are rooted in Scotland's cultural and religious history. They would be entirely incongruous playing in the English Football League. The six Welsh clubs which play in England have done so since their founding, well before the establishment of the League of Wales in 1992. They are a historical quirk arising from a completely different situation.
I don't know when or why the Welsh sides were incorporated into the English leagues,ie. Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham or have they always been a part of it? The absolute poverty of welsh league football says it all and should be why Rangers and Celtic should stay in their own domestic league. Real Madrid and Barca always dominate their league, and no one says that they should merge with the Portuguese or French leagues to try and make things more competitive.

Not really fair to all the other Scottish teams either, and it devalues the SPL as a competition when the two best Scottish clubs aren't even competing.

45% of their population wanted out of the Union last year - why would we let them join our league?
Original post by The Shed End
I don't know when or why the Welsh sides were incorporated into the English leagues,ie. Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham or have they always been a part of it?

It's been answered above. They existed before the Welsh league was founded. They were invited to join but by that point it was obviously more beneficial to stay in England.
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's been answered above. They existed before the Welsh league was founded. They were invited to join but by that point it was obviously more beneficial to stay in England.

Still thinks it a valid point though, players and fans alike are more likely to go and play for/support those 3 teams rather than those in their local area, the Welsh Leagues. I get that there is a sense of national pride with the Welsh wrt to premier league football, but most Scots detest the big 2 so much, particularly Rangers, that that would be a moot point.

Literally the only Welsg side I know off the top of my head are TNS and thats because they have a stupid name.
Original post by sr90
You really think that players from continental Europe/South America are keen to live in places like the Midlands, Manchester, Newcastle or Merseyside? They go wherever the money is.

That's exactly the point though, they don't. Which is why you see most top players favouring Chelsea and Arsenal/Spurs and Moura and Ronaldinho rejecting us.
That's exactly the point though, they don't. Which is why you see most top players favouring Chelsea and Arsenal/Spurs and Moura and Ronaldinho rejecting us.

Even in the Championship, Watford's Forestieri is reportedly ready to snub us to go to Reading, and it's understood we were prepared to offer more too, but he doesn't want to come up north.

But for the OP, yes, I would have them in the PL. Maybe put them in a playoff style competition with the would be relegation teams.
Any self-respecting Englishmen should be repulsed at the idea of the IRA loving scum being in their league.
I wouldn't mind Rangers but IRA United can **** off. Total scum.
Original post by mmm778899
I wouldn't mind Rangers but IRA United can **** off. Total scum.

You'd let UVF FC in but not IRA United? Double standards.

Latest