Would you welcome the Old Firm into England?

Watch
Poll: Old Firm in the PL?
Yes - only if they work their way up (13)
52%
Yes - direct entry (1)
4%
No, **** them (10)
40%
Undecided (1)
4%
This discussion is closed.
Depleted
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
I can't remember the player, but he was offered more money by a club with better prospects and still went to Fulham/Palace/a club of that stature purely because they were based in London.
It's why you see Cabaye at Palace (could've been him?), it's such a major draw for players and it's why we struggle to obtain ready made world class players at OT.
Tony_LeaS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't remember the player, but he was offered more money by a club with better prospects and still went to Fulham/Palace/a club of that stature purely because they were based in London.
North/South divide truly exists, even in the world of football. London clubs also get more revenue I reckon as they have that "allowed arrogance" of charging more at the gates.
scriggy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tony_LeaS)
North/South divide truly exists, even in the world of football. London clubs also get more revenue I reckon as they have that "allowed arrogance" of charging more at the gates.
Worst example of this was Loic Remy going to essentially-already-relegated QPR over mid-table-5th-the-previous-season-Europa-League Newcastle. Think they probably offered him more money as well but still. :facepalm2:
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I reckon in a decade or two the top 5/6 clubs are gonna be all London clubs in these shiny 50/60k bowl stadiums, they just seem to be getting richer and richer. Arsenal/Chelsea/Tottenham/West Ham and probably another two no marks. Mental really when you think when the league was founded, 6 of the clubs were northern and 6 were from the Midlands. No London clubs were considered one of the 12 most powerful in the country at the time.

(Original post by Depleted)
It's why you see Cabaye at Palace (could've been him?), it's such a major draw for players and it's why we struggle to obtain ready made world class players at OT.
Na, wasn't him.
difeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I reckon in a decade or two the top 5/6 clubs are gonna be all London clubs in these shiny 50/60k bowl stadiums, they just seem to be getting richer and richer. Arsenal/Chelsea/Tottenham/West Ham and probably another two no marks. Mental really when you think when the league was founded, 6 of the clubs were northern and 6 were from the Midlands. No London clubs were considered one of the 12 most powerful in the country at the time.

Na, wasn't him.
United and maybe even Liverpool are too big to be consistently outside the top 6
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes-hypothetically speaking of course-and I think Celtic would do quite well-they have the stadium and fan base.
mmm778899
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by United1892)
Are they terrorists? Yes.
Just because they have the same aim as you doesn't make what they do right.
But I don't hate the IRA for being terrorists. I hate them for being traitors, which the UVF are not.
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mmm778899)
But I don't hate the IRA for being terrorists. I hate them for being traitors, which the UVF are not.
They're not traitors, since they were never loyal to the UK in the first place.

Also you don't dislike terrorists?
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Celtic would be lucky to finish anywhere above 16th, and Rangers would end up languishing towards the bottom of League One with the likes of Crewe.
Tony_LeaS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
Celtic would be lucky to finish anywhere above 16th, and Rangers would end up languishing towards the bottom of League One with the likes of Crewe.
Celtic would be a solid mid table side, they have a very solid fanbase and they would be behind them regardless of division. Rangers need to rebuild their team and base before they consider top tier. Again with a solid fanbase they will be fine too.

Scottish teams are decent, they just don't have the money or financial backing to help them like we have in the English leagues
scriggy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Used to be well for bringing them over but in reality it would be better for everyone if Scotland sorted out the absolute mess that is their league structure.

Summer season, 16 team SPL, 2-up-2-down and have the top 6 play off Rugby League style for the trophy. Sorted.

Scotland and England should get their heads together and merge the League Cup though. Need to get some cross border competition on the go occasionally.
username917703
Rep:
?
Merging the League Cup is a great idea.
Tony_LeaS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It wasn't too long ago when Non League Scottish football can go through to the Scottish League 2 via a playoff system. Merging the league cups would be good, and if anything the first round or two rounds can be regions then the third round merges the countries together, matches like Inverness vs Newcastle would be great.

The FA aren't interested in it anymore though, they would rather just keep things simple and the majority happy.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The whole 'Celtic will do well because they have the fanbase & stadium' is a bit short-sighted. Leeds have a huge fanbase & stadium more than capable of the PL, but if the club's not run well they'll finish where they deserve. Put Celtic in the PL, they lose European football & money, players won't go there because of the lack of European football, less money for wages & the fact it's Scotland.

A solid fanbase and a decent stadium doesn't guarantee any type of success at all.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It wasn't too long ago when Non League Scottish football can go through to the Scottish League 2 via a playoff system. Merging the league cups would be good, and if anything the first round or two rounds can be regions then the third round merges the countries together, matches like Inverness vs Newcastle would be great.

The FA aren't interested in it anymore though, they would rather just keep things simple and the majority happy.
Imagine Elgin vs Yeovil on a Tuesday night!
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Celtic would be a solid mid table side, they have a very solid fanbase and they would be behind them regardless of division.
So do Leeds. So do Forest. So do Coventry.

That's no guarantee.

Anybody who thinks Celtic would be any better than, say, Norwich, is deluded.
username917703
Rep:
?
(Original post by TornadoGR4)
The whole 'Celtic will do well because they have the fanbase & stadium' is a bit short-sighted. Leeds have a huge fanbase & stadium more than capable of the PL, but if the club's not run well they'll finish where they deserve. Put Celtic in the PL, they lose European football & money, players won't go there because of the lack of European football, less money for wages & the fact it's Scotland.

A solid fanbase and a decent stadium doesn't guarantee any type of success at all.
Agree mate look at us, 42k ground (soon to be 50k+), supporters clubs all over, big support in Ireland and the US yet we are ****.
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Why would anyone want them given direct entry? It ****s over at least two English sides, and Rangers and Celtic with Premier League revenue would be challenging for the title within 5 years. They're bigger than anyone in England bar Arsenal, Liverpool and United.

They can start from the bottom if they want to join our league system. Won't ever happen though.
just like Sunderland, Newcastle and other teams with large stadiums and fan bases?

Celtic would be lucky to stay in the premier league if given direct entry. Rangers wouldn't stand a chance.
Tony_LeaS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TornadoGR4)
Imagine Elgin vs Yeovil on a Tuesday night!
Brighton vs Inverness and Aberdeen vs Plymouth sound good
M67
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Celtic currently would finish mid table in England. After a few years we'd challenge for Europe. Having said that I really hope we never enter the English league.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.74%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.32%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.96%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (96)
21.67%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.93%
I haven't started researching yet (46)
10.38%

Watched Threads