Oxford or Cambridge medicine with these grades? Watch

Halal Haribos
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Which do I have a better chance of getting into?
GCSES: 10A*s 2As and one A in additional maths (not a gcse, a FSMQ).
AS results: 94 ums average, SUMS of 91.3.

I know Oxford like 90% gcses at A* and Cambridge like 95+ UMS, but 90+ still gives you a chance.
Thanks
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You have a reasonable chance at both. Cambridge has more places than Oxford.
aprocrastinator
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You have VERY similar GCSEs to me, only difference is that I did AS critical thinking as well Anyway, I'm going to Cambridge for Medicine this October and I got 95.4 average. I would say that you really have to consider how you would fare in the BMAT as this comprises 50% of the "mark" Oxford gives their applicants before selecting them for interview (anyone feel free to correct me if wrong). The other half, surprise surprise, is GCSE grades, more like % of A*s. I do not know how they will consider the FMSQ qualification though.

My gut feeling is that at Cambridge you may have a *slightly* better chance but interviews play a huge part.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably a slightly better chance for Cambridge.

Which one do you want to go to?
Halal Haribos
Rep:
?
I like the sounds of both but edging towards Cambridge because of the town.
Halal Haribos
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply I think BMAT will go ok since it's more of my type of exam. Do you know how much weight Cambridge put on it? I think I might end up applying for Cambridge because they give more interviews which I think I'd do okay in.

(Original post by aprocrastinator)
You have VERY similar GCSEs to me, only difference is that I did AS critical thinking as well Anyway, I'm going to Cambridge for Medicine this October and I got 95.4 average. I would say that you really have to consider how you would fare in the BMAT as this comprises 50% of the "mark" Oxford gives their applicants before selecting them for interview (anyone feel free to correct me if wrong). The other half, surprise surprise, is GCSE grades, more like % of A*s. I do not know how they will consider the FMSQ qualification though.

My gut feeling is that at Cambridge you may have a *slightly* better chance but interviews play a huge part.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Halal Haribos)
Thanks for the reply I think BMAT will go ok since it's more of my type of exam. Do you know how much weight Cambridge put on it? I think I might end up applying for Cambridge because they give more interviews which I think I'd do okay in.
They interview a greater proportion, but their interviews are less extensive. They only interview each candidate once, I believe, whereas Oxford does 4-6. Thus I would say interviews are more important to Oxford. If you get one.
littlemissdebbie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have the same question ... so hopefully you don't mind me posting here :')

I got 93.3% SUMS average and I got 6As at AS level ... likely to get 4A* prediction.
I go to a well know grammar school for AS
I went to a non-selective comprehensive for GCSE and got 9A* and 2As
Choosen for 2 Oxford Summer schools...
Which one do I have a better chance of getting into?
(I do have a preference but I just wanted an honest, unbiased opinion.)
aprocrastinator
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
much less than oxford. My BMAT was pretty shoddy at 5.4, 5.7 and 2.5A (the essay is often not considered). But they still let me in so I doubt that much weight is put on it. I thought I would do OK too but I ended up making loads of silly mistakes and did much worse than expected (I was getting high 6s, and low 7s). Unfortunately it's not black and white! Apply to the uni you prefer.
Rhetorical Hips
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
They interview a greater proportion, but their interviews are less extensive. They only interview each candidate once, I believe, whereas Oxford does 4-6. Thus I would say interviews are more important to Oxford. If you get one.
I don't know about all the other colleges, but Caius (Cambridge) do three interviews. I would tell you how long each one is but I don't have it noted down I'm afraid, I think each interview was about 15-25 minutes? Anyway, I suspect most other Cambridge colleges will do two or three interviews.

Oxford has a system where you can be interviewed at two (or maybe three) colleges right? So each college interviews you 2/3 times at Oxford then?
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rhetorical Hips)
I don't know about all the other colleges, but Caius (Cambridge) do three interviews. I would tell you how long each one is but I don't have it noted down I'm afraid, I think each interview was about 15-25 minutes? Anyway, I suspect most other Cambridge colleges will do two or three interviews.
I had assumed that but was then told by a Cambridge student on here that they only did one. Perhaps there is a mixture?

Oxford has a system where you can be interviewed at two (or maybe three) colleges right? So each college interviews you 2/3 times at Oxford then?
Two colleges. 2/3 at each. Normally 20-30 minutes I think. Very occasionally a college does only 1 but it would be a longer interview.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I had assumed that but was then told by a Cambridge student on here that they only did one. Perhaps there is a mixture?
It is my understanding that most Cambridge colleges would have 2 interviews. Caius have 3, Trinity have 1, as far as I know. There may be other exceptions that I am unaware of.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Nov '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
69.7%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
10.3%

Watched Threads