What are your "must watch" films?

Watch
ExRN
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
1. Hot Fuzz
Unbelievablely intelligent film making that always has extra things that you missed the second time you watch it. It needs to be seen for the greater good! Subtle references throughout that mean very little to the passive listener but link it all together and it's off the chain!!

2. Dead man's shoes
Paddy Considines first major breakthrough in cinema. It's a lesser known Shane meadows film from the same stables as this is England. Toby kebell stars as well (the guy from the new fantastic four)

3. True Romance
All star cast and Quentin Tarantino first film. The title sounds like its a chick flick.... But how wrong could you be? With a cast made up of Christian Slater, Patricia arquette, Christopher walken, samuel L Jackson, Gary Oldman, Brad Pitt (typical stoner), Dennis hopper, val kilmer and Jack Black.... How can it not be worth watching? Better thanPulp Fiction, rreservoir dogs and Kill Bill put together.

4. The fly
David cronenberg remake of the 1950s classic. The invention of transportation, a lab accident and some revolutionary special effects make it a definite watcher!!

5. The terminator collection
Except for 3!!! Even though they are ripped off from an episode of the outer limits they are still genius watching. Enough said on that one!!

What are your top 5s? Anyone seen any of mine and disagree?
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In terms of disagreements with yours, I think Terminator 1 & 2 should be kept separate from the rest of the series :yep: They're two hugely influential works in both the science fiction and action genres, while the sequels all range from mediocre to terrible. Nice list otherwise :yy:

My list doesn't necessarily represent my top five absolute favourite films, but they're the films that are the most important to me personally. They're all fairly new (2001 onwards), there's loads of older films that I also love but these films all contributed heavily to my love of films or certain genres (or just on a personal level- my best friend and I bonded over Lord of the Rings) and I think seeing them in cinemas probably contributed to the effect they had on me.

In no particular order

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Blu Ray Extended Edition)
A masterpiece of fantasy and storytelling, and a perfect example of how a ~four hour extended cut can fly by without a hint of boredom entering your mind. An utterly engrossing and fully realised world that feels steeped in lore, superb performances across the entire primary cast, exceptional practical and special effects that stand up to this day (the LOTR films look better than the Hobbit films made a decade later), gorgeously shot and terrific use of sound. I could have put any of the three LOTR films in this spot, in my opinion they form the most consistently superb trilogy of films ever, but I figured you may as well start at the start. It also ushers in the best 12 hour movie marathon you could ever hope for.

Pan's Labyrinth
A dark, twisted fairytale and the quintessential film of Guillermo Del Toro for me, one of my favourite directors ever. Everything I praised Fellowship for applies here, except where LOTR is vast and sprawling, Pan's Labyrinth feels close knit and even claustrophobic at times, and blends together two very different worlds beautifully in a piece of effortless storytelling. My favourite foreign language film ever made, and a must-see for any fan of fantasy.

Interstellar
This should be the obligatory first-watch of anybody buying a new 4K TV in my opinion, sitting close enough that the screen occupies your entire vision and with the volume turned all the way up. This film makes me feel tiny, an insignificant speck in comparison to the vastness of the landscapes and galaxies it portrays. That's coupled with an utterly perfect soundtrack, no film's score has ever been so emotive for me as Interstellar's, and the combination of visuals and sound in this film never fail to get me utterly lost in the film. Easily my favourite sci fi film.

In Bruges
A comedy film where the action serves solely to move from one fantastically crafted piece of dialogue to the next, this film balances comedy and bleakness in a way I haven't seen in any other film and it's an absolute joy to watch. It's witty, it's sombre, it's exciting, it's got a bit of everything and it does everything really well, all in a gorgeous location that furthers the plot and character development.

Drive
A film I wasn't really expecting to like but ended up loving, and, through which I've found some of my favourite films that I never would have watched otherwise in this vein of 80's styled neo-noir crime flicks that have cropped up over the last few years. Drive is the film that got me willing to go out on a limb and see films I may never have gone to see otherwise, which I think has been massively rewarding.
ExRN
Rep:
?
Good selection dude! Pans labyrinth is in my top 5 Spanish films. Del toro has done some amazing cinema if you can understand spanish. I have never seen lord of the rings. I know thats sad but it's true. Interstellar was amazing but I fear it will be a film that is forgotten in time. Very educational though. In bruges I can take or leave. Seen it a couple of times and although I do like Colin Farrell I do believe he's done better movies.
I forgot to add on my list "good will hunting". If you haven't seen that one...... Do it!!!
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Chaser
12 Angry Men
Raging Bull
Lawrence of Arabia
Amour
TwinnyP
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Great choices :yy:
0range
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
requiem fr a dream is defo one
ExRN
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0range)
requiem fr a dream is defo one
Brutal film. How things can go from perfect to a **** storm so quickly is not represented anywhere better than in that film!!
thecatwithnohat
Report 5 years ago
I agree, the directors are theatrical geniuses!
WannabeDoctor98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My top 5 change too often but currently... (In no particular order)
1. Donnie Darko
2. The departed
3. Fight club
4. Slum dog millionaire
5. Pretty woman

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1799509
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Treasure Planet
The Iron Giant
Wall-E
Howl's Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
ExRN
Rep:
?
(Original post by WannabeDoctor98)
My top 5 change too often but currently... (In no particular order)
1. Donnie Darko
2. The departed
3. Fight club
4. Slum dog millionaire
5. Pretty woman

Posted from TSR Mobile
Varied selection there!! The departed was quality. It's based on a true Boston gangster called whitey bulger. The original concept for the film was from a Hong Kong film titled infernal affairs. Also a good watch. Donnie darko is also a watcher. Seth rogan is in it at the end if you look carefully.
4ÆM
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
The Maze Runner
Treasure Planet
Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton)
Howl's Moving Castle.

Posted from Howl's Moving Castle
WannabeDoctor98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ExRN)
Varied selection there!! The departed was quality. It's based on a true Boston gangster called whitey bulger. The original concept for the film was from a Hong Kong film titled infernal affairs. Also a good watch. Donnie darko is also a watcher. Seth rogan is in it at the end if you look carefully.
If you think that's varied you need to look over my music taste 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Crash
Interstellar
Wall-E
Shutter Island
Artificial Intelligence
ExRN
Rep:
?
(Original post by Law-Hopeful)
Crash
Interstellar
Wall-E
Shutter Island
Artificial Intelligence
Crash is brilliant. I watched it again for the first time in years the other week with my ethnic pal. Such a powerful message portrayed on racial equality and prejudice! Love it. American history X is another one to get the racial equality thoughts flowing too.
Chakede
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ExRN)
1. Hot Fuzz
Unbelievablely intelligent film making that always has extra things that you missed the second time you watch it. It needs to be seen for the greater good! Subtle references throughout that mean very little to the passive listener but link it all together and it's off the chain!!

2. Dead man's shoes
Paddy Considines first major breakthrough in cinema. It's a lesser known Shane meadows film from the same stables as this is England. Toby kebell stars as well (the guy from the new fantastic four)

3. True Romance
All star cast and Quentin Tarantino first film. The title sounds like its a chick flick.... But how wrong could you be? With a cast made up of Christian Slater, Patricia arquette, Christopher walken, samuel L Jackson, Gary Oldman, Brad Pitt (typical stoner), Dennis hopper, val kilmer and Jack Black.... How can it not be worth watching? Better thanPulp Fiction, rreservoir dogs and Kill Bill put together.

4. The fly
David cronenberg remake of the 1950s classic. The invention of transportation, a lab accident and some revolutionary special effects make it a definite watcher!!

5. The terminator collection
Except for 3!!! Even though they are ripped off from an episode of the outer limits they are still genius watching. Enough said on that one!!

What are your top 5s? Anyone seen any of mine and disagree?

most f thse have all been on tv recently , is that were you first watched them. apart form hot fuzz ive seen these movies over 10 years ago
Chakede
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
they are 5 good movies ( all except terminators 2 and 3)

an alternative old 5 are-

Usual suspects
carlitos way
bladerunner
enter the dragon
Leon
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In no particular order:

Inception
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (or whole trilogy)
The Worlds End (or whole trilogy)
Shooter
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Special mentions to:

Bourne Trilogy
Anything Tom Cruise related
Dark Knight trilogy
School of Rock
Tropic Thunder
Kick Ass
ExRN
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chakede)
most f thse have all been on tv recently , is that were you first watched them. apart form hot fuzz ive seen these movies over 10 years ago
Definitely not. I don't have TV in my house.
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by serah.exe)
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
The Maze Runner
Treasure Planet
Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton)
Howl's Moving Castle.

Posted from Howl's Moving Castle
If you're serious then I love you. Adore the first three (not so much Maze Runner but particularly National Treasure).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads