The Student Room Group

What did you take with you?

Hello to other fellow freshers and everyone else :smile:
I still can't make up my mind on what to take with me to my dorm room. So I'd like to ask you, what did you think was essential to take for a first year student?
Hopefully your replies will help me make up my mind, cheers. :tongue:
Reply 1
I took my virginity along with me
Original post by sillysimon
I still can't make up my mind on what to take with me to my dorm room. So I'd like to ask you, what did you think was essential to take for a first year student?

Lots of things to make it feel homely: photos, posters, plant, etc...
Chocolate or cake that you can share with your new flat/house mates!
Bedding+pillows
A first aid kit with painkillers, cold+flu stuff (for fresher's flu), plasters etc.
Fancy dress if you happen to have any (you will inevitably be invited to 1000 fancy dress parties/events)
A clothes airer and/or hanging dryer
A small amount of kitchen stuff - i.e. 2 of each: plates, bowls, glasses, cutlery - because everyone else will bring the same stuff and you'll end up with no room!
My very basic list is available here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57563227&postcount=11

Remember you have to get the stuff to university, if you're not sure whether you'll need it then you can go shopping locally for stuff when you get there! :smile:

Be careful about how you put posters on the wall as universities can get awfully picky about it. :smile:
Original post by sillysimon

What did I take with me? Now that's a big question!
I lived in halls with shared bathrooms so I didn't need a lot of bathroom stuff.

I took...
Clothes, bathroom items (washing stuff and not what), pictures of family and friends, lamp, bin, decorations, DVDs and films, Xbox and games, speakers, laptop, mini games (cards and cards against humanity), alcohol, wash basket, stuff to do washing, stationary stuff, posters, lights and the list goes on.
Reply 5
Original post by BWV1007
I took my virginity along with me

Did you misplace it?
Reply 6
Original post by Frithy
Did you misplace it?

Last time I checked it was deep in your *******

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
ouch
Reply 8
Alright, cheers for the replies, even the cheeky ones :wink: Packed all I need in 2 large boxes, should be good to go soon.
Other than the essentials like bedding I recommend stuff to decorate your room - posters, blue tac, pictures, ornaments, flowers, etc. This helps combat homesickness and makes the room more personalised.

Most accommodations have an inventory of stuff that comes with your room - check this to make sure you're not bringing stuff you don't need (like extra kettles).
Reply 10
Door stop. 99% of doors in halls close by themselves. Keeping it open during freshers week is great.
Clothes horse/airer. Even if your halls have dryers they will probably shrink the **** out of your stuff
Air fresheners. (No candles). Your window will probably only open a little bit and it might get a bit funky.
Vitamin C tablets. Great for hangovers.
Piggy bank. Saving up the coppers netted me an 'extra' £50 over my first year.
Reply 11
If you move to a new place and you want to make it as comfortable as it was in your home you will need to ether move a lot of your stuffs to the new flat or just buy new one. I brought my lovely mattress with me coz the one i got at the dorm wasn't comfy as I wanted it to be. Also i brought with me my dresser and all my girly stuffs in it :smile: so that i won't need to rearrange everything form scratch again. I know I moved many things with me but it was quite easy with little help from website called getvan and now my room feels more like my home.
Labels are a good idea if sharing a kitchen. You do get thief about...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending