The Student Room Group

How many lessons to pass your test?

Hey guys

Im starting my social work degree next month and my tutor has warned us all that we'll need to be able to drive by next September to undertake placements as im doing Social Work and the placements will be an hours drive away.

Im starting lessons next month and wandering if you think it'll be possible to pass and feel confident enough to undertake a 1 hours drive by next September?

Thankyou :biggrin:
I had 24 lessons over a period of about 7-8 months and passed first time :smile: if you can, do two lessons a week as it will pass you probably around feb!

Also, it depends on how fast you pick it up as some people take 50+ lessons!

Good luck
You shouldn't need more than 10-12 lessons, realistically.

The key is to spend 5 hours practice time in the car for every hour's lesson.

Remember: you don't pay a driving instructor to teach you how to drive, you pay them to teach you how to pass your test.
thankyou so much for your replies!

The issue is i don't have a car or anyone i know who drives so the only time ill get to spend in the car would be on a lesson.
Original post by MissMummyStuden
Hey guys

Im starting my social work degree next month and my tutor has warned us all that we'll need to be able to drive by next September to undertake placements as im doing Social Work and the placements will be an hours drive away.

Im starting lessons next month and wandering if you think it'll be possible to pass and feel confident enough to undertake a 1 hours drive by next September?

Thankyou :biggrin:

Next September? I'd say you have plenty of time.

As mentioned above, it's really different to different people as some people pick it up faster and some people tend to take longer to learn to drive. It would probably depend on how fast you pick it up, how many lessons you do per week but it's possible. I had 35 hours in 3 months so 12 months for you is plenty, even if you don't have as many hours as I did in a week you can stretch it out to 12 months.
Original post by cole-slaw
You shouldn't need more than 10-12 lessons, realistically.

The key is to spend 5 hours practice time in the car for every hour's lesson.

Remember: you don't pay a driving instructor to teach you how to drive, you pay them to teach you how to pass your test.

Original post by MissMummyStuden
thankyou so much for your replies!

The issue is i don't have a car or anyone i know who drives so the only time ill get to spend in the car would be on a lesson.

Exactly, we don't all have the option of regular outside practice. The average is apparently 40 hours of driving, some do it in more, some less. I did it in about 30 hours of lessons, no outside practice whatsoever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending