Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Question and Answers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MMM2000
Hi,
Is the website to apply for the accommodation not working? I can't progress past step 3 because it is asking me to select an option for "Single Sex", Do you have a disability?" and "Live with someone" but I don't have the options to select my answers.

Hi, It may be best to submit this question specifically to the accommodation office. You can contact them at: [email protected]

Please do not panic though, the deadline for applying for accommodation closes in August so you still have plenty of time.

Best Wishes,
Tom Morley
| UK Student Recruitment and Outreach
Student Ambassador Leader
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi, I would like to know what are the term dates for 2018/2019, I know they are online but im a little bit confused because the webpage shows two different dates for summer term. Also on lent term classes start on January 11 which is a Friday or do they start on monday the 14? im asking because im an international student and I have to book flights.
Original post by briana1999cc
Hi, I would like to know what are the term dates for 2018/2019, I know they are online but im a little bit confused because the webpage shows two different dates for summer term. Also on lent term classes start on January 11 which is a Friday or do they start on monday the 14? im asking because im an international student and I have to book flights.

Hey, Our 2018 term dates are:
Michaelmas Term:5 October 2018 to 14 December 2018 (Welcome Week: 1 October 2018)
Lent Term: 11 January 2019 to 22 March 2019

Then - as you rightly point out - there are two lots of dates for summer term. That's because Week 1 of Summer term begins before the Easter vacation (week beginning 25th March), and then the remaining weeks are after the vacation (beginning 29th April).

It's not something I've seen before but fundamentally second term is 11 Jan to 29 March, and then third term 29 April to 28 June.

Since term begins on January 11 you may have classes on this day - that'll depend on your subject and timetable. Hope that helps!

Michael Mander
Original post by Lancaster University
Welcome to the Lancaster University official Question and Answer thread. Whether you’ve received a place, already applied or are thinking about applying to Lancaster, members of our team will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about life at Lancaster.
In the meantime, there are some web links that you may find useful:

Accommodation
With approximately 6,500 rooms on campus, Lancaster has a wide range of accommodation which has won multiple awards in recent years.

Applications and Admissions
Your question may have already been answered by our useful list of Frequently Asked Questions. If not, feel free to ask one of our Admissions Officers over in the Ask our Admissions Team thread.

Colleges
Lancaster is unique, being one of just a handful of leading universities that operates a collegiate system. All students will join one of our eight undergraduate colleges. Our colleges are separate from our academic departments and are a great way to meet new people, make new friends and take part in many activities and events throughout the year.

Courses
Our handy online courses directory gives an in depth introduction to all of our courses, including all variants. However, if you have any more questions our Admissions Officers will be more than happy to answer over in the Ask our Admissions Team thread.

Fees and Funding
Our Undergraduate fees and funding pages give information on current fees as well as the Scholarships and Bursaries available from Lancaster. There are also some handy tips on budgeting and managing money!

Prospectus
You can view our current prospectus online or, alternatively, you can fill out the prospectus request form and we’ll send you a hard copy through the post.

Students’ Union
Lancaster University Students’ Union (LUSU) not only support and represent students but also provide a range of services and activities throughout the year. Whether want to look for a student house, enjoy a night out with friends at our very own nightclub, join one of our 200 activity groups, compete against the University of York in our annual sporting competition or enjoy a night of live music and entertainment at events throughout the year there is something for everyone to enjoy at Lancaster.

Is there a reading list for history before we get there? Or anything specific thats recommended?
Original post by larkspurs
Is there a reading list for history before we get there? Or anything specific thats recommended?

Hey larkspurs,

I've forwarded your question to the History department - who said:
"We don’t actually have a reading list in History, as we don’t expect them to do any reading before they get here. We do contact students in September prior to arriving and include a list of wider reading for those that are keen to get started."

If you are keen to get started early, drop me a private message the relevant member of staff is happy for me to pass on their details for you to get in touch.

Best wishes,
Michael Mander
Hi, I need to swap over my email address from my college email as it may go down for the summer to my personal one - how would I do this? ]Many thanksGeorgia
Original post by georgialupo
Hi, I need to swap over my email address from my college email as it may go down for the summer to my personal one - how would I do this? ]Many thanksGeorgia

Hey Georgia,

If you are still in college now and starting University in September you'll need to first update your information in UCAS Track. You can do that in your UCAS Track account or by contacting UCAS: https://www.ucas.com/contact-us

You should also let Lancaster Uni know you've changed your email address by contacting The Base on [email protected] - or you can ring them on +44 (0) 1524 592525.

Best wishes,
Michael Mander
Hi there,
I am getting a second year transfer to Lancaster and received the offer to choose accommodation only last week. Is accommodation first come first serve or is it randomised for oversubscribed accommodation?
Thanks
Reply 328
Welcome to the Lancaster University official Question and Answer thread. Whether you’ve received a place, already applied or are thinking about applying to Lancaster, members of our team will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about life at Lancaster.
In the meantime, there are some web links that you may find useful:

Accommodation
With approximately 6,500 rooms on campus, Lancaster has a wide range of accommodation which has won multiple awards in recent years.

Applications and Admissions
Your question may have already been answered by our useful list of Frequently Asked Questions. If not, feel free to ask one of our Admissions Officers over in the Ask our Admissions Team thread.

Colleges
Lancaster is unique, being one of just a handful of leading universities that operates a collegiate system. All students will join one of our eight undergraduate colleges. Our colleges are separate from our academic departments and are a great way to meet new people, make new friends and take part in many activities and events throughout the year.

Courses
Our handy online courses directory gives an in depth introduction to all of our courses, including all variants. However, if you have any more questions our Admissions Officers will be more than happy to answer over in the Ask our Admissions Team thread.

Fees and Funding
Our Undergraduate fees and funding pages give information on current fees as well as the Scholarships and Bursaries available from Lancaster. There are also some handy tips on budgeting and managing money!

Prospectus
You can view our current prospectus online or, alternatively, you can fill out the prospectus request form and we’ll send you a hard copy through the post.

Students’ Union
Lancaster University Students’ Union (LUSU) not only support and represent students but also provide a range of services and activities throughout the year. Whether want to look for a student house, enjoy a night out with friends at our very own nightclub, join one of our 200 activity groups, compete against the University of York in our annual sporting competition or enjoy a night of live music and entertainment at events throughout the year there is something for everyone to enjoy at Lancaster.

Hi,

I just wanted to know of there are jobs available on and off campus that I would be able to potentially start in the first month. I would be depending on a part time job to afford accommodation and stuff so you're answer means a lot thank you.
Original post by wolto
Hi,

I just wanted to know of there are jobs available on and off campus that I would be able to potentially start in the first month. I would be depending on a part time job to afford accommodation and stuff so you're answer means a lot thank you.

Hey Wolto,

In terms of on-campus jobs these are run by our internal Employment and Recruitment Service. You can find out more about them here: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/employment-and-recruitment-services/ - and see a list of current vacancies here: https://temps.lancaster-university.co.uk/vacancies/vacancy-search-results.aspx to give you an idea of what is on offer.

The City of Lancaster has all of the restaurants, bars, shops, takeaways etc that you'd expect from a city. Therefore there are plenty of jobs available. An idea of the sorts of places we have can be found here but there are plenty more: http://visitlancaster.org.uk/

Most people I know had no trouble finding a part-time job on or off campus!

Best wishes,
Michael Mander
Reply 330
Original post by Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Hey Wolto,

In terms of on-campus jobs these are run by our internal Employment and Recruitment Service. You can find out more about them here: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/employment-and-recruitment-services/ - and see a list of current vacancies here: https://temps.lancaster-university.co.uk/vacancies/vacancy-search-results.aspx to give you an idea of what is on offer.

The City of Lancaster has all of the restaurants, bars, shops, takeaways etc that you'd expect from a city. Therefore there are plenty of jobs available. An idea of the sorts of places we have can be found here but there are plenty more: http://visitlancaster.org.uk/

Most people I know had no trouble finding a part-time job on or off campus!

Best wishes,
Michael Mander

Great thank you Michael, I had already registered for the on-campus recruitment I guess I would have to get there first
Original post by wolto
Great thank you Michael, I had already registered for the on-campus recruitment I guess I would have to get there first

No problem - best of luck with the job hunting!
Hey Hayley, having gone through this exact process before I can assure you it’s not a problem at all. Typically most student loans come in within 2-3 days either side of the payment deadline and the university is used to this. I can only speak for myself but I was told there is a 1 week grace period after the deadline for any delayed student loans, If you believe that you won’t have the funds for the payment after this time you’re best off letting the university know beforehand and then arrangements can be made; the important this is that the university know.

Hope this helped!

(Original post by Hayley Williams)Hey, the deadline for the first rent payment is october 2nd, if our student loan doesn't come through by then are we allowed an extension?
Hi Hayley

The important thing is not to worry, we understand that this can sometimes happen. If you're unable to pay by the due date you will need to speak with your College Residence Officer before the deadline and they will be able to advise further.

Jamie Carbert | Lancaster University
E: [email protected]

Original post by Hayley Williams
Hey, the deadline for the first rent payment is october 2nd, if our student loan doesn't come through by then are we allowed an extension?
Hello,

I will be joining Lancaster as an international student and just had a question regarding the module structure. I saw that the term dates on the website include the summer term, but the modules in my department are only taught during the Michaelmas and Lent terms. Therefore, I was wondering what happens during the two months in the summer term, apart from the exams? I assume that we are not being taught for just over 4.5 months in the year (especially with only 10 hours of contact time a week)? Many thanks!
Reply 334
Hi,
I'll be joining as a Postgraduate student this October, I was wondering if there will be bedding packs available to purchase on campus or will I have to buy some from the city/bring them with me?
Thanks,
Kazi.
Original post by Danielk.
Hello,

I will be joining Lancaster as an international student and just had a question regarding the module structure. I saw that the term dates on the website include the summer term, but the modules in my department are only taught during the Michaelmas and Lent terms. Therefore, I was wondering what happens during the two months in the summer term, apart from the exams? I assume that we are not being taught for just over 4.5 months in the year (especially with only 10 hours of contact time a week)? Many thanks!

Hi there,

Generally modules are taught over the summer term for first year students up until week 25. For second and third year students modules are generally only taught during Michaelmas and Lent term, with summer term acting as a kind of exam revision period. From experience, university requires a lot of independent work outside of your contact hours so despite the fact you may not have any contact hours you will still have plenty of work to do!

All the best,

Tom Morley
UK Student Recruitment and Outreach
Lancaster University | LANCASTER | LA1 4YW | T: 01524 593836
Original post by _KAZI
Hi,
I'll be joining as a Postgraduate student this October, I was wondering if there will be bedding packs available to purchase on campus or will I have to buy some from the city/bring them with me?
Thanks,
Kazi.

Hi Kazi,

Bedding packs will be available to purchase from the university in the weeks before you arrive!

All the best,

Tom Morley
UK Student Recruitment and Outreach
Lancaster University | LANCASTER | LA1 4YW | T: 01524 593836
Hi,
After going through clearing when I should have been in adjustment I have now got a place at Lancaster but have not been given any information on how to apply for accomodation and feel like I will miss out! Is their anything i should be doing or am I just waiting for an email so I can apply for it?
Hi, I would like to know if I can fill in the GP registration form once I arrive? or do I have to fill it in in advance online?
Can I choose Biosciences as a minor if my major is Philosophy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending