URGENT/HELP: Leave my job move away for Uni of Hull or go to De Montfort? Watch

tinyflame
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys,

I have until next week to decide whether I go to University of Hull or De Montfort to do Mechanical Engineering.

I currently have a zero hour contract job in Birmingham and I have two clearing offers for De Montfort and Hull for Mechanical Engineering with foundation year.

De Montfort is close to Birmingham (Leicester), so I could take the train to come to work once a week if I were to move to Leicester.

However Hull is slightly higher in the league tables for engineering than Hull, but is so unbelievably far away from Birmingham and I don't know if it is worth it leaving my job to go to Hull, just because it's a "better" uni than De Montfort for engineering? Also, Hull does not seem as busy of a city as Leicester, so I am worried about not being able to find a job when I go there.

On the other hand, I have a gut feeling that my job should not dictate to me where I go to university

*Or my plan B is that I go to Hull and then stay at my relatives house over the summers to do my zero hour contract job until the next year starts again?

TL;DR: Is it worth it leaving my flexible zero hour job to go to Hull over De Montfort? Hull is very far away from Birmingham, while De Montfort is in Leicester, which is just a short train journey away.

Which uni is better Hull or De Montfort? Or does it not really matter what uni I go to for engineering as long as my degree accredited and do a placement year?

Note: Both unis do placement years, have accredited degrees and offer the same courses.
alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hull is around 44th and De Montford 48th, so in real world terms that's nothing at all. Within the next week if you could go to both Uni's this would help a lot as i'm confident one will feel more like home than the other. As for work, just forget about that and go to the Uni you want. Besides, after completing your degree you'll have a solid job anyway with this degree so don't just try and stay closer to home for work.
tinyflame
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexp98)
Hull is around 44th and De Montford 48th, so in real world terms that's nothing at all. Within the next week if you could go to both Uni's this would help a lot as i'm confident one will feel more like home than the other. As for work, just forget about that and go to the Uni you want. Besides, after completing your degree you'll have a solid job anyway with this degree so don't just try and stay closer to home for work.
Hi,

Thank you very much for your advice.

Hull has a very nice looking campus, but I am worried that it is quite isolating, also no offence but I'm also worried that I will feel awkward, lonely, unable to make friends there because

1: Hull seems like a smaller, quieter university, while De Montfort seems more diverse and lively.
2:I would hate to be like the only person from an ethnic minority guy per 400-500 students. It was like when I went to liverpool and I pretty much felt like people were eye balling me all the time when I took a bus or train ? No offense though I have plenty of white friends, but I just don't like the awkwardness of attracting attention like that.

Which is why De Montfort seems more attractive as its more city based and in a bigger more well known city, so it doesn't feel quite as in the middle of nowhere like Hull (no offense intended :P).

I am also scared of not finding the same flexibility/opportunity of work at Hull again, because I have been pretty much been able to get a shift almost everyday because some of the managers recommended me (a lot of people get sent home or spared at work so I feel fortunate )? I can literally work one day a week if I go to De Montfort, that would be enough for me, but I'm not sure if I could get the same deal/convenience/flexibility at Hull if I can't find agency work.

To be honest I am worrying about having a job while studying, because I get the impression that student finance mostly gets into rent, while you are expected to survive with whatever's left, I am worried of having money problems at uni because I already have debts that I am paying by installments each month?

I'm also worried that Hull might be a lot better than De Montfort as it's a traditional, well established university compared to De Montfort which is an ex-poly and has that college feel to it? I'm just scared of missing out on the opportunity of going to Hull if I pick De Montfort over it?

Note: I will try to visit both universities, but since I open day is way past my clearing offer deadlines and uni security wouldn't let me wander around campus. I would literally just be walking around town, but it's probably worth it. Train tickets to Leicester should be cheap, not sure about Hull though.
alexp98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
very interesting. Thanks for all this information as now I can help you a lot more. First I was thinking Hull is the place, however I have never been so i wouldn't know how diverse it is. But Leicester was where I was born, i have moved to London now though. Leicester was incredibly diverse and you will fit right in and make lots of friends. I'm thinking of going to De montford too but could get into a lot of better Uni's. Don'd just judge by the quality of the Uni.I think De Montford is the place for you! Gl and let me know if you need more help
tinyflame
Rep:
?
very interesting. Thanks for all this information as now I can help you a lot more. First I was thinking Hull is the place, however I have never been so i wouldn't know how diverse it is. But Leicester was where I was born, i have moved to London now though. Leicester was incredibly diverse and you will fit right in and make lots of friends. I'm thinking of going to De montford too but could get into a lot of better Uni's. Don'd just judge by the quality of the Uni.I think De Montford is the place for you! Gl and let me know if you need more help
But why miss the opportunity of going to a good quality uni though?
alexp98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tinyflame)
But why miss the opportunity of going to a good quality uni though?
Because De Montford is just as good and more diverse. Honestly no difference in quality and your better off going to a Uni where you will be happy and achieve the best you can
tinyflame
Rep:
?
Because De Montford is just as good and more diverse. Honestly no difference in quality and your better off going to a Uni where you will be happy and achieve the best you can
Mmm, it's so hard to decide, I am scared of regretting it if I miss out on Hull.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads