Has anyone done A2 Bio, Chem or Politics?

Watch
Mvpmb
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
To anyone whos done these subjects at A2, can you give me a warning on whats going to be more difficult?

thanks
BethanyJane
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did A2 Biology, it was my favourite subject and so it wasn't too difficult. It required rope learning and the ability to apply facts to scenarios. I've heard Chemistry is very hard whilst politics is relatively straightforward if you're good at essays, akin to History. That's not to say politics would be easier. It all depends on your style of learning and interest! Hope this helps
MangaWhovian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've done A2 Chemistry and A2 Biology, Chemistry on AQA and Biology on WJEC.

Chemistry at A2 is much more interesting than AS! If you have a good grade at AS it's also easier to achieve your desired grades . I personally found A2 chemistry easier than AS because I worked harder.

Unit 4 chemistry, in terms of past papers, the drawing isomers of compounds can be tricky because of the time limit you have. NMR is probably the hardest thing I would say in unit 4, maybe parts of Amines, it depends where your strengths lie. For unit 5, it's not necessarily the hardest but ,most of it is memorising however transition metals take up a large chunk of the paper 20-40 marks so it's essential you know them back to front, the equations,observations etc It can seem a bit daunting a first but 20 minutes a day and you;ll soon have it memorised. People in our class seemed to struggle with electro chemical cells in unit 5 whilst periodicity was straightforward. Also some of the calculations can be a little difficult. GThe hardest thing about chem is probably learning all the equations and reactions.

For biology, there is a lot of content which can be challenging. It's best to learn processes and what you can in a series of steps, make sure you know the diagrams clearly and electron microscope pictures as they can be hard to label. And actually with biology, they are very specific on the mark scheme, so just wording the answers can be difficult.

I'm sure you;ll be okay though! I haven;t done politics so I can't weigh in on that!

Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mvpmb)
To anyone whos done these subjects at A2, can you give me a warning on whats going to be more difficult?

thanks
I did A2 Chemistry. It's a pretty big step up from AS in my view, but this is mainly because of the huge amount of stuff you've got to memorise rather than conceptual difficulty. If you did well at AS then you should be fine at A2, providing you put the work into it. A huge chunk of the marks in A2 Chemistry literally just come from reciting reaction conditions and metal ion colours so please, please, please make sure you memorise them as soon as you cover them in class rather than waiting until as late as possible. It will make your life so much easier when it comes to revision.
BethanyJane
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MangaWhovian)

Chemistry at A2 is much more interesting than AS! If you have a good grade at AS it's also easier to achieve your desired grades . I personally found A2 chemistry easier than AS because I worked harder.

Unit 4 chemistry, in terms of past papers, the drawing isomers of compounds can be tricky because of the time limit you have. NMR is probably the hardest thing I would say in unit 4, maybe parts of Amines, it depends where your strengths lie. For unit 5, it's not necessarily the hardest but ,most of it is memorising however transition metals take up a large chunk of the paper 20-40 marks so it's essential you know them back to front, the equations,observations etc It can seem a bit daunting a first but 20 minutes a day and you;ll soon have it memorised. People in our class seemed to struggle with electro chemical cells in unit 5 whilst periodicity was straightforward. Also some of the calculations can be a little difficult. GThe hardest thing about chem is probably learning all the equations and reactions.

For biology, there is a lot of content which can be challenging. It's best to learn processes and what you can in a series of steps, make sure you know the diagrams clearly and electron microscope pictures as they can be hard to label. And actually with biology, they are very specific on the mark scheme, so just wording the answers can be difficult.

I'm sure you;ll be okay though! I haven;t done politics so I can't weigh in on that!

Just following on from this fab advice, in relation to Biology if you do not mention a specific chemical process, or biological term in a question, you will not get the mark. This applies even if you have more or less correctly answered the question. However by doing lots of past papers you will get the hang of the mark scheme, so fear not!
Jamshaid101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MangaWhovian)

what do you mean by good grade? A/B?
Mvpmb
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Cheers for the replies, looks like more of the same from AS tbh, just out of curiosity, did most of you improve, drop or maintain your grade between AS and A2?
MangaWhovian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jamshaid101)
what do you mean by good grade? A/B?
A or a B! Depends on your own personal end goal. With hard work it's very doable to go up a grade though.

Another thing I would say, as some people don't, is to take the empas/isa seriously too! Some people just left it last minute
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (175)
44.3%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
10.89%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.1%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.01%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (39)
9.87%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.82%

Watched Threads